Dear Katherine......2dz Red Roses for You.....

Godiva
This topic is 7657 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I had this strange dream a few nights ago. I was walking in Time Square and I noticed everyone was looking up at the electronic crawler. Some were covering their mouths some were crying while others were just distraught. I put my glasses on and looked at the crawler and it said[h1]...Hollywood Screen Legend Katherine Hepburn dies...[/h1]

In my dream my friends and I lost it along with everyone else. I awoke to a lump in my throat realizing that it was just a dream but more importantly... I personally have never had the chance to tell her how much her acting has brought joy to my life. I have seen "The African Queen" many times, "The Philidelphia Story".."On Golden Pond.".... Even tho she has been out of the spot light for many years she is consistantly rated at the top in most polls regarding "Greatest Actors in Hollywood." In my eyes Katherine, Davis and Monroe are the Greatest. Once she is gone you have your second tier...DeNiro, Hoffman, Streep etc. When you think about it Katherine, Liz and Brando are the last of the true movie legends. My hope here is that maybe someone in her camp is reading this thread and they can read to her all the nice things her fans have to say.

You are one of a kind Miss Hepburn...Thank You for the memories..

I send you 2dz Red Roses to your heart.. My Grandma always said she wanted her flowers while she was alive...

What do you guys think makes her the best? And who is left from the "Old Guard"..

I heard also that they probably have her obit written on the wire which is why some of these old stars have huge bios in the papers the day after they pass....is that true?

I used to stalk her (sort of) in the early 90's, when I was a star-struck 20-something. Someone had told me where she lived (in the 40's off of 2nd Ave) and I used to walk by her place to see if I could see her. Once, she was right there in the front window repotting a geranium (I'm not making this up) but her security guard (or someone of authority) came out of the side entrance and intimidated me with a glare & I kept walking. Another time, I saw a note in her front door so I had to snoop & read it ("Kate--when you get back, I have flowers for you that were delivered to me by accident. --Steven"). I assume it was her neighbor Sondheim.

I just read back what I typed above & realized how lame it sounds but I'm not editing. I stand by my lameness proudly. :p

Guest fukamarine

>What do you guys think makes her the best?

For me it is her voice. Totally unique, there is non other like it.

>I heard also that they probably have her obit written on the

>wire which is why some of these old stars have huge bios in

>the papers the day after they pass....is that true?

I've always heard that too. I'm sure it's true.

fukamarine

Hey Rick...I remember when Greta Garbo was alive and well and she was doing her famous strolls through her neighborhood. I remember one day when everyone was saying that she was on the opposite side of the street shopping for vegetables. I ran across the street (with everyone else) trying to be discreet and looked at her face. She never made eye contact with me but in her own way she was breathtaking. I walked away thinking that I just saw Greta Garbo.

When she later died it left a hole in NYC since she decided to live out her remaining years in the city...which is why I want Kate to know how much she is appreciated now..

Godiva, I recently finished Isherwood's Diary (Volume I 1939-61). One afternoon in the Hollywood Hills he was walking with Greta Garbo and he turned to her and said, "I really wish you weren't Garbo, because I truly do think we could be wonderful friends." What a charming thing to say to her.

Guest Bitchboy

While I imagine Kate would be happy to learn of your admiration, she'd be so friggin' pissed that you didn't spell her given name correctly. She hates stuff like that. It's K-A-T-H-A-R-I-N-E.

I saw her in a play with Chris Reeve once. When she came on stage a lot of people in the audience started murmuring. She turned and told them all to shut up, and then let the stage and started the scene over again. Loved that quality in her.

THE LOONS THE LOONs...they know we are here...I LOVE HER.

ON GOLDEN POND...precious as ever.

JIM

My boyfriend came up with this weird game...tell me if this actor or actress is dead. When he said Katherine Hepburn...I paused...and said..alive.....He wondered why I paused. I told him...I Never want to think of her as dead.

Joan Crawford

Patsy Cline

Betty Davis

Henry Fonda

Milton Berle

Ronald Reagan

Nancy Wilson

:'( :+ :-)

>I remember when Greta Garbo was alive and well

>and she was doing her famous strolls through her

>neighborhood.

That's one thing I love about living here...you can always see someone famous. It's nice when it's someone you want to see (I think I've seen more than enough of Gilbert Gottfried & his shlubbiness in Chelsea...uggghhh!!). Derek and I once found ourselves walking behind Rod Stewart in the Village & boy, did he have a wide dumpy ass. If he had asked, "Do you think I'm sexy?" we would have had to say, "No." I've bumped into Sarah Jessica a few times (we're on a first + middle name basis now). I rode the elevator with Yoko in the Dakota once this summer. That was the thrill of my life. Derek and I had dinner next to Jane Curtin the other night (she looked great) and Howard Stern (he didn't). I like to think I don't care about celebrities but it's been fun to run into Britney, Ellen D., Miss Ross, Miss Jackson...and of course all those people you see & go, "Who is that? What show is he/she from?"

This was yet another lame post; I think maybe I was away too long. I need to do a few more of these to get back into my old rhythm. My apologies. :p

• 8 months later...

I have a heavy heart today..Unfortunately as I was walking in Time Sq this evening with my friends we looked up and saw w/sadness that the "Greatest actor of all time" has passed at 96yrs young. Dear Kate..there will never be another you..You were the last of the great ones!! Please tell Marilyn I said hello..

Love you

G

Guest ncm2169

Joan Crawford

Patsy Cline

Betty Davis

Henry Fonda

Milton Berle

Ronald Reagan

Nancy Wilson

Sorry, with all due respect, Ronnie doesn't qualify among the great actors/entertainers of our time, IMHO. Oh, well, of course, unless you count his performance from 1980-1988. }(

And who the hell is/was Nancy Wilson? x(

>And who the hell is/was Nancy Wilson?

Nancy Wilson is a jazz and blues singer who was very popular in the the 60's and 70's. Besides appearing on just about every variety show of the period, she had her own show for about two years.

For the last two years, I have ended my eighth grade unit on Eleanor of Aquitaine by showing "A Lion in Winter."

Another generation has learned of the talented Ms Hepburn. They loved her.

Even though she is gone, students can continue to watch her. Isn't is a shame we don't have recordings of the great actors/performers of the past.

Dick

Guest pyell

I think the reason she was so fabulous was....that she always played Katharine Hepburn in all her parts. Think about it: the formidable grande dame, never shouting, but with such unsheathed force and power that you never crossed her. Unemotional, understated, yet with a personality that would make the most emotional actor look shallow.

A critic once unkindly declared that "Miss Hepburn spans the whole gamut of emotions from A to B". He was right in a way: she never emoted on screen in the traditional way. And yet he was wrong, because we always knew how she felt. Look at "The African Queen" or "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner".

Mind you, I find it hard to take her seriously in her earlier films from the 1930s because I just can't see her as some flighty Hollywood siren. Maturity was where she shone.

Perhaps that's the answer: when we saw her in her best films, she reminded us of our own mothers and grandmothers - or the mothers or grandmothers we wish we had!

Guest drock56

OBITS

Yes, any major newspaper and news services have a

large collection of oobituaries (NYT has several

thousand)that are started, up-dated along the way,

and are finally finished when the subject croaks.

Guest ncm2169

< A critic once unkindly declared that "Miss Hepburn spans the whole gamut of emotions from A to B" >

Actually, the critic who wrote that line was Dorothy Parker, and I'm like 99% positive it wasn't about K H (could it have been?). Sorry, but I forget who was the "worthy recipient" of Dorothy's rapier wit. SOMEBODY HELP!! lol.

Guest pyell

You're right that it was Dorothy Parker, but I'm right that it was about Katharine Hepburn. It's in another obit I read today about her. I think it was about one of her stage performances, not a film.

Guest fukamarine

RE: OBITS

>and are finally finished when the subject croaks.

Surely - if you tried real hard - you could find a more delicate way of saying that!

fukamarine

Karl Jung used or invented the word "synchrony" to describe the near-simulataneous occurence of events that are unrelated at the surface, but of great symbolic weight. Katharine Hepburn's death (which I didn't know about until I logged on this morning) is the third such event in three days.

To wrest my attention from looking at the beautiful sky as I was driving east into Cleveland on Friday morning, I turned on the radio to NPR. The first thing I heard was Nina Totenberg's voice reporting and analyzing the Supreme Court decision in the Texas sodomy case. That hardly helped me concentrate on my driving, now that I'd coupled the gorgeous sunrise with that equally radiant news, but I then heard that Strom Thurmond had died at 9:45 Thursday night. That was enough to bring me down to earth with a good laugh. Imagine that Strom, having heard the news of the Supreme Court decision, mumbled, "Oh, shit," turned over, and checked out. And then Katharine Hepburn dies on the Last Sunday in June. Can it get any better?

I have two New York celebrity stories. My parents went to see the first production of THE KING AND I. They stayed, as they always did, at the New Weston Hotel, which no longer exists, but was very close to the Waldorf. The morning after they had been to the theater, my mother was alone in the elevator when Yul Brynner himself stepped in. He was living at the New Weston during the run. Never having met a stranger, she struck up a conversation and they became -- in her lights -- bosom buddies with a nice long chat on the way down. I've always suspected that my mother "accidentally" tripped and fell against the Emergency Stop button.

Years later, I lived on 51st Street just west of Second Avenue. One morning I overslept, but I can't do without breakfast. So I jumped out of bed, got dressed, and ran to the coffee shop on Second Avenue. When I rounded the corner I ran straight into a tall, elegant, gray-haired man in a camel's-hair topcoat, windown shopping. Startled, he caught me as I almost fell; I apologized profusely; he smilingly said, "Never mind;" and I went on to the coffee shop. On the way, I realized that he looked so familiar that he must be a friend of my father's whom I hadn't recognized. When I turned to look back, I realized that it was Cary Grant.

Will,

When I was first starting to try to break into the "biz", I worked at one of the largest talent agencies in town. I was also currently appearing at night in a stage play. My portrayal required my head to be shaved (unfortunately it also coincided with my drivers license renewal, so my pic on the license showed me bald for 4 years).

Anyway, one morning I was in the elevator running some contracts down to the mail room, and in stepped Yul Brynner. The door closed, he took one look at me and said "everyone wants to steal my act". He was very gracious, and we both laughed.

As for Katharine Hepburn's passing, probably no female star ever had more impact on the industry or art form (with the possible exception of Mary Pickford in the early, early days) than Kate. She was one of a kind. She paved the way for male and female stars to control their own careers by owning and or packaging their vehicles. Stars like Barbra Streisand, Clint Eastwood, Mel Gibson, and others who have their own production companies and produce their own films, owe a huge debt to Miss Hepburn. Her translucent performances in "The Lion In Winter" and "Long Days Journey Into Night" will never be topped in any succeeding generation.

Goodbye Kate, have a great reunion with Spence.

Roses on time.

Godiva, I realized after reading this post that is sounded familiar. I think your premonition was such a strange thing. I have a very good friend that sees the future in dreams like that. It puts me on edge when he sees me and is quiet....I always think that he had a terrible dream about me. At least you sent the flowers while alive.

Yes it is true...they do bios on those stars way before they die and keep adding to them until it happens.

Godiva....Thanks for finding this post and bringing it back up. It makes you realize that you need to do things NOW and not later.(sending her the roses on time.)

jim

If it dont fit, force it

btmstudnyc@aol.com

RE: Roses on time.

Now the Great Kate will be where the calla lillies are in bloom all the time!

Dan Dare

LA, CA

RE: Roses on time.

What is amazing about these old stars is that they rarley feel they deserve to be the legends they are.. Katharine has down played her status in many interviews..so did Garbo..They earned their tiles Legends, Icons or whatever.

Nowdays an actor comes out with a hit movie than they are labled a Superstar..2 hit movies a cultural Icon and 3 hit movies a legend..The word has lost its prestige until recently when two of the originals just past..

Archived