Cell Phone Information

Bosguy
This topic is 4858 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I really need to upgrade my cell phone plan and equipment now. I currently am slightly above soup cans and strings and technically challenged, or as a close friend put it--I am a moran when it comes to this. In business, I knew what I wanted technology to do, but people took care of the mechanics of it so I was ver spoiled.

I have AT&T as a provider and will keep them, but I need to upgrade the plan for voice, text, and data. The most important aspect for me is the ease of learning and using fully. I also don't see any reason for overbuying things that are not going to be used or used very seldom.

The massive advertising and promotions by the vendors has only served to further confuse me. Any help you can give me to get going would be graciously appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Accidently leaving my phone in my pants and having it go through the washing machine forced me to get a new phone and seeking an upgrade as well. I also have AT&T. Though I really didn't think I needed a phone with so many features, my b/f talked me into getting the iphone.

I've had it for 1.5 yrs now and can't imagine not having it. I use it for more than just a phone and have grown very depended upon having it. Perhaps you can look into it getting one for yourself.

Please check out my blog :)

"Secret Escapades of a Gay Gigolo" http://gqpro.tumblr.com/

I really need to upgrade my cell phone plan and equipment now. I currently am slightly above soup cans and strings and technically challenged, or as a close friend put it--I am a moran when it comes to this. In business, I knew what I wanted technology to do, but people took care of the mechanics of it so I was ver spoiled.

A friend who claims to be 'Amish technologically' loves his iPhone.

I also use an iPhone.

I was skeptical that I'd use and/or like a "smartphone", being something of a luddite about phones in general, but you'll pry my iPhone out of my cold, dead hands.

With AT&T trying to stem the flow of customers jumping to the newly-available Verizon iPhone, you can get some decent deals. I've seen the iPhone 3GS (an older model, but entirely adequate) advertised for $49.

Android phones are making HUGE inroads in the marketplace, but people I trust tell me they're a lot like driving a manual transmission car ... they'll get the job done but it's more work. They don't offer the "closed" ecosystem of the iPhone -- but that closed ecosystem can also be seen as a detriment.

There are hundreds of thousands of apps (most of them useless) for the iPhone, not so many for Android, and fewer still for Blackberry or Windows Phone. Still, I enjoy having NYT, WSJ, and other news outlets with me over breakfast. (iPhone also has an app called GrindR, which allows you to locate gay men physically near you. Smartphone as hookup tool! ;))

What you need to do is pay a visit to an AT&T store. Hold the various phones in your hand. Ask for demos. All the accolades in the world won't help if you end up with something that's uncomfortable in your hand or pocket.

iPhone also has an app called GrindR, which allows you to locate gay men physically near you. Smartphone as hookup tool! ;)

GrindR is also available in beta form for the Blackberry. It's such a restrictive app (even some G-rated pics are banned, your profile text has to be cleaner than clean, and the interface sucks) as to be next to useless on either platform, though.

Kevin Slater

I use a Blackberry Torch and I have a package which works in Europe and all over the world. I am leaving tomorrow morning for the a few weeks of meetings and it has a phone as well. So people can call me from here and it works. I get all my office e-mails and can respond as well. My office gave it to me, I have no idea if there is better. But I am happy.

If you want to stick with ATandT, then by all means go with the iPhone. I personally much prefer Verizon and went with the Android last year and love it. I limit my applications, but have it hooked to my email and a few other things. I love Verizon because I get incredible service everywhere in the USA and Canada and also internationally with their partners. Good luck and take some time to check out the features at the store before you fall for the hype.

GrindR is also available in beta form for the Blackberry. It's such a restrictive app (even some G-rated pics are banned, your profile text has to be cleaner than clean, and the interface sucks) as to be next to useless on either platform, though.

Kevin Slater

They're working on an Android version too.

Yeah, they even recently announced they're moderating pics before allowing them to be posted on a profile.

I'm told they have to keep squeaky clean as a requirement just to get in the Apple app store. <sigh> That's the dark side to being a closed box system I mentioned earlier.

Bosguy -- just a cautionary tale. I didn't go with a smartphone when it was time to upgrade last year and it was the biggest mistake I've made in a long, long time. That was before I joined the forum, before I'd sent my first text, before I'd made a lot of changes in my life. Now I'm stuck with what I refer to as a dumbphone and can't upgrade for almost another year. It takes forever to do anything, it has no apps for anything and I feel like I'm in the dark ages even though this phone is less than a year old.

Even though you may not need ALL the bells and whistles, don't buy something just at where you are at technologically today. Give yourself plenty of room to grow. As someone who had his texting virginity ripped from his cold dead fingers less than 6 months ago and is now at a 3k/month plan you can change quickly -- a lot quicker than you can imagine.

Bottom line -- don't underbuy. You may very well regret it. I know I am. And every day until I can upgrade.

My current personal phone is 6 years old, doesn't have a camera, and doesn't have text capabilities.

But, I recently was "forced" to get a cell phone for my job. They asked what kind I wanted and I told them to surprise me. They got me a Sprint HTC 4G android and I'm blown away with the capabilities. I've had it less than a month and can't imagine being without it.

I totally agree with Lee's suggestion that you don't underbuy.

I've had my iPhone for about a year. It's my first smart phone. I will definitely say that being able to look at me e-mail and get on the web are nice ( but also addicting as my job is often one of those either everything is crashing and I don't have enough time to get everything done or there is totally nothing to do). The best things however for me which I would have trouble doing without are 1). I live in a smaller city near a major one-- I have to go to the major city frequently but don't know my way around it very well-- the little native GPS on the phone while at times frustrating has in general been a lifesaver and 2). I was never one who could keep track of a datebook. The fact that I can sync the calendar on the phone with my gmail calendar online- or vice versa has been a real boon. Plus my irregularly irregular work schedule is posted on line, and I can import it into the calendar too.

Gman

I find my Android phone is as easy to work with as an iPhone. BUT I have an issue with AT&T blocking out third-party apps on their Android phones. That probably won't be an issue for you as it is a "geeky" problem. There are plenty of Market apps. I would stay away from Motorola Android phones as their software developers are not so good. I would avoid Sony Ericsson Android phones until they start staying on top of things - like having the latest OS when they ship or releasing updates in a timely fashion.

If you get an unbranded/unlocked Android phone for your AT&T line, you can get Grindroid for your phone. You just have to google for the APK file. There is also the Scruff app from www.scruffapp.com. It works on both iPhone and Android.

The Android Market is just as strict as Apple on adult-content. Manhunt's Android app has been deleted from the Android Market twice that I know of for adult content even though Apple has not done the same thing. All FOUR markets for apps are strict with certain guidelines: Apple, Android, Blackberry, and the new Windows Phone 7. I have a friend that loves his new Windows Phone 7 partially because Microsoft trashed Windows Mobile to move forward and to be able to compete with Android and Apple.

I find Blackberry to be super business-oriented and very good at that - not much more.

The reason I hate and dread an iPhone is its dependency on iTunes, which is bloatware. Anyone who has accidentally lost their entire music collection on iTunes can tell you what nightmares iTunes can invoke.

The funny thing about discussing mobile OSes is that no one talks about Symbian. But it doesn't matter as Nokia has killed it and is moving to Windows Phone 7.

Archived