Spiderman on Broadway

Poolboy21409
This topic is 4745 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saw "Spiderman" last Sunday. It was a "spectacle" - I am interested to hear what others think of it. For me it was more Las Vegas than Broadway. The only dramatic tension in the story came from wondering whether the flying effects and set movements would all work correctly. One of the producers made an announcement from the stage at the beginning that reinforced the fact that the show is still technically in previews (for $140). I don't regret seeing it, but it didn't do a lot for me. Saw both parts of "Angels in America" the day before and thought it was great and well worth the six and a half hours time investment.

Saw it two weeks ago. Thought it was crap. Broadway it's not. Oh, it's HUGE and spectacular....but not in a good way.

Any Cirque du Soleil in Vegas has more WOW and is more interesting. The singing is disastrous. The music is tedious.

The plot is childish. The acting...well....isn't. The stunts are mildly interesting, but you can see the cables and

mechanisms from a mile away. It takes a REAL suspension of disbelief, and unfortunately nothing in the show

makes you willing to do that. Word on the street is that Bono saw it last week for the first time, and ripped

Julie Taymor a new asshole...hence the most recent delay to "rework" the ending.

A whole lot MORE than the ending needs to be reworked. When I saw it, no standing ovation, and not even

a lame attempt at an encore/curtain call. The cast basically ran off the stage because people we already

heading for the exits before the curtain came down. Truth is they are delaying the opening to milk it for all

the revenue they can, before the critics rip it to shreds.

You heard it here first.

I had a ticket for the night after the kid fell...and the performance was cancelled. I traded it in for the refund. Have had a number of friends see it who concur with the thoughts here...more spectacle than musical. One of them, however wants to come back to town and see it again now that the finale has been so drastically changed. I have heard NOT ONE good thing about the score...and apparently the book isn't much better. My thoughts are: Really, Julie? You cannot get a half dozen queens in to give you some direction on the story line?

All that being said...I really want to see it. Just to have seen it. Plus, a good friend of a good friend is in it. What does he say? Well, he's so exhausted and it has changed so much that he admits he has no perspective on the material anymore. At this point they just do what they rehearsed that day and hope they remember all the new material. He also says that even if he could remember what the show was about, or how he feels about it...they are all under a gag order. I asked if that will end once the show opens...and he didn't reply. I told him that I hoped he was keeping a very detailed diary.

• 3 weeks later...

To The Forum:

I initially posted this inquiry a couple of weeks ago. Actually saw Spiderman last Sunday matinee while in NYC for the Westminster Dog Show. After all the bad reviews it had gotten, my expectation were pretty low and they were met.

1. Plot/Story - HUH, WHAT, why bother to have any plot even a made up one. Have to totally agree with nyman on this one. I almost walked out after the first act but decided to stay. The ending was doubly lame and I actually had to ask someone "Is this it." Curtain fell, people left, polite clapping, and again not even an attempt at any fake curtain call.

2. Music - nothing memorable. Maybe after a while on Broadway, there will be some songs recognized, but frankly I left the theater with no memory of any musical piece worth remembering.

3. Singing - oooooo. Perter Parker and Mary Jane I thought were totally mediocre, and they had the majority of the vocals. I don't think there was anything hard to sing. I was just "underwhelmed". There is far better talent singing every night at Don't Tell Mama on 46th Street.

4. Acting - with no plot or story worth anything, I can't fault the banal acting.

5. Aerial - not as much of it as I would have thought and as nycman said, the support wires were the size of anchor chain off a 1,000 foot cruise ship. Many other cast members other than Peter play Spidermen for the aerials. But the aerial action really didn't appear too difficult - (says me who won't even go off a 3 meter diving board even with arm floaties on!!!) Hint: If you do go, don't buy seats way down front as a lot of the aerial stuff ends up on perches on the Mezz or balcony and you would be constantly turning around to see it. We had row R or something that was just at the Mezz overhang and were good seats for the overall view. I think the aerial presentation of Arachne was really superb especially with the great costuming.

6. Choreography/dance numbers - actually thought they were pretty good. Not a bunch of complicated ones but what there were were good and entertaining.

7. Costumes - I thought this was the best part especially Arachne and the spiders support cast (see above). Some of the dance numbers with Arachne and her spiders - especially the high heel number - were wonderful. These things made the second act so much better. The "bad people" were also well costumed. Peter Parker had to wear some kind of a harness under his clothing that made him look like he had a huge butt, big belly, and was "pear shaped". I guess there were hooks coming out of slits in the waist line to which he then attached the cables. But anyway, it made him look funny.

7. Set & Scenery - for $65 million, you gotta get something. I thought this was perhaps the best part of the production. I am not a theater expert (hated Billy Elliott and Rent-loved La Cage, Spamalot, Jersey Boys, Cabaret, etc.) but the set and scenery was top notch.

So, do you go see it? Eh. Our tiks were under $100 - you can blow that on a regular bottle of wine at a restaurant in NYC (and I did). Does it have legs - don't think so. Maybe a year, but it is getting lots of hype and safety citations only add to the allure. "Is someone really going to crash when we go see it" mentality. Tweens and teens will love it and there were lots in the Sunday afternoon audience. It is long - started at 3PM and we left the theater at 5:45PM and made our dinner at Circo in time where I ran into a former board member (70+) of the company I used to work for who announced that he and his wife are "splittsville" and then proceeded to introduce me to his "good friend" - a 30-35 year old Latino hottie, a Costa Rican Architect named Gregorio. Oh MY. I have been searching the "for hire" pages to see if I can identify "Gregorio".

New York is always fun. Dinner at Four Seasons for a B-Day (surprisingly good), lunch at Le Bernadin (fantastic and a bargain at $70 prix fixe), no sales at Saks or Bloomies and the stuff at Bergdorf's looked like costumes. And our dog did not do well at the Westminster Dog Show after having had a wonderful 5 day string of victories at Wildwood NJ - home of Jersey Shore. Yo Guido!!

Thanks Guys for listening.

PB

• 2 weeks later...

Spider-Man sugggestions...

My curiosity got the better of me and I took in a Wednesday matinee of "Spider-Man, Turn Off The Dark"...

A few suggestions:

1. Don't pay full price, $140, go to http://www.BroadwayBox.com and print out the 40% discount ticket. You get the same seats for $79.50

2. Take the print out to the box office and request front row center mezzanine aka "the flying section". Those are the best seats to view this musical as most of the flying acts take place over the heads of the orchestra seats. Also, Spider-Man will land right in front of your seats.

3. Surprised no one has mentioned what a beautiful theatre this is. Foxwoods Theatre is the old Hilton Theatre on 42nd St. It's been completely renovated. It's very spacious, good seating and leg room, and rest rooms on every level. And, you'll notice that all the ushers are young and friendly. Say good bye to those mean old ladies with their hair in a bun.

4. As for the show... I can agree with almost everything posted but the biggest flaw is that it's target audience, aka those under 12, will be bored and restless for most of the 90 minute 1st Act. Yes, the songs are forgettable , the acting is amateurish, the plot is without definition, etc... however, the costumes were creative, the scenery was exceptional, the dance numbers were captivating, the action figures were colorful, and the flying was amazing. The 2nd act is more creative than the 1st and will keep those under 12 mesmerized.

Since this play is still in previews, no critics can review it and changes still can be made. Opening night is now scheduled for March 15th.

Finally, no disappointment at this performance. There was a technical mishap during a flying number. The show was stopped, the lights went on, and an announcement was made about a cable malfunction. It left one performer dangling over the orchestra. Show resumed in about 10 minutes.

Coop :cool:

Headline News on Today and GMA about Traynor being fired. She could not continue due to other prior commitements. Also, it pointed out that Spiderman will not be eligible for any Tony this year due to the postponement of the official opening date. Years I ago, I invested in an play that was produced by my best friend. Actually bought 1/2 share so I wasn't an Angel but a Cherub! It was so off Broadway that it was on a pier on the Hudson river. Joked that I went to opening night, closing night and all performance in between - one show. Lost all of $5,000 over 30 years ago. Lot of money. I'll bet these investors are looking at the same scenario in a few months? years?

Julie Taymor's exit from Spiderman came as no surprise to members of the Broadway community. "Prior Commitment"? Ha! A publicists comment, no doubt. She was fired for her refusal to allow another director to come in and critique and change the show, same for a another playwright. The show is going down and one of the biggest bombs to every hit Broadway and only a miracle can save it now. Good luck. My heart goes out to all those working in this show.

Ed

Now that the show is going to close down for a few weeks, the cast is mostly understudies. I had been anxious to see Jennifer Damiano (original Natalie in Next To Normal) as Mary Jane - however got stuck with a cute and unimipressive understudy. Also, after intermission it was announced "the part of Peter Parker .... will now be played by ...... understudy". Not sure what happened; maybe he just got smart and decided to walk.

The few flying sequences are well done, but much less that you would see with a Cirque du Soleil performance. I also didn't appreciate that so much of Act II was pretaped .... sort of like $140 movie ....

• 4 weeks later...

At last!!!!

Now with it's temporary (?) closing imminent, I had to see it.

I have downloaded the .99 cent tdf app into my new phone and saw that Spiderman has been on the half price ticket board for most performances this week. So I trooped up to the window and got a sensational seat for half price: dead center 14th row. The last four rows of the orchestra were completely empty...

What can I say? First of all, I truly expected to HATE it. I have heard so much crap about it...that my natural inclination was to despise every second. And I actually ended up liking it more than not.

Okay...going to start with the problems.

The book, especially in the second act is stupid.

The score, throughout is weak. There are only four decent numbers.

The second act as a whole is dreadful. We have a "villian" fashion show, there's a movie...literally...shown on screens on the set, of Spidey vanquishing the various villians, so no real action. There's two really silly ballads for Mary Jane, and one for Arachne. There's a scene where Arachne goes shoe-shopping, and the "geek chorus" who have talked us through the whole thing, are ignored at the end, so there's no feeling of completion. Okay...so if that's what didn't work...how could I possibly say that I liked it at all.

Well, the kid playing Spiderman was cute and tormented and appealing for every second he was on stage.

The first half of act one, depicting the origin story was well done, except when the music was interesting the choreography wasn't and vice versa.

The scenic design was incredible. The way the stage moves and scenery flies in and out was worth EVERY penny of my ticket. There were some amazing visual effects, including a gorgeous weaving of a tapestry in the Prologue when we hear Arachne's story, (which is totally gratuitous to the story) and a rather amazing scene on top of the Chrysler Building looking down at the cars driving up Fifth Avenue far below. I thought the aerial work was sensational. They were flying right above my head, and the first act finale with the Green Goblin and Spidey fighting OVER the audience was so cool, that I am tempted to go again.

Jennifer Damiano wasn't given enough to do, but she's very natural on stage, and was enjoyable to watch.

And another highlight was one of those NY audience moments. The folks right in front of me were from the south...two women in their fifties, sisters; and the mentally handicapped adult son (late twenties) of one of them. He was so excited from the moment he arrived. He loved the show curtain, and just being in the theater in general. From the moment the lights went down he was rapt. At intermission, he described over and over the various sequences, first to his mom and then to his aunt. He got a little bored during the second act (who didn't) but was very well behaved.

After the show he wanted to get a poster and a t-shirt and a cup and a hat...you get the picture.

Well, anyway, I went to the stage door to greet a friend of a friend who is in the show...and there were very few folks there. But this man was there with his lady companions. They took pictures in front of each poster outside the theater, and when the cast started coming out, he asked EVERY one to sign his poster. (The doorman explained that many of the performers just relax on Saturdays between shows, and don't come out, but someone went in and got the actor playing Spiderman, who came out and spent a good five-eight minutes with this gentleman, his mom and his aunt. About ten pictures later (one with each coupling...Spidey and aunt, Spidey and aunt and mom, Spidey and aunt and man, etc.) the actor signed the poster, adn the program and went back inside.

It greatly renewed my faith in people.

So there, I said it, I liked it, and while I cannot recommend it to most, for the die-hard theater goer, it really is a must, even if just for the scenic work and aerial stuff.

It closes next Sunday, April 17th for six weeks, supposedly to open just before Memorial Day. We'll see if that happens, but I truly am glad to have seen it.

And from the ridiculous to the sublime, this evening I went to Company...see separate post.

• 2 weeks later...

Article Monday about it being on "permanent"/"long term" hiatus. It will probably be all forgotten in no time. Good riddance to a bad show...but I am glad I did see it and didn't have to pay. Will make for good stories when I am in a wheel chair in a nursing home sporting my Louis Vuitton drool bib!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Spiderman Redux...

Wow. This could actually find an audience. This is so vastly improved from it's first incarnation. It was interesting to compare programs. Spoilers abound.

They've gotten rid of the on-stage guitarists, and the four kids who played the "Geek Chorus" (nerds acting as Greek Chorus, explaining all.) Interestingly, because of the circumstances, and a good contract, they are apparently still getting paid, but are no longer affiliated with the show.

They've made the first act more expositional, and the original first act, which was close to 90 minutes, culminating with the very exciting Spidey/Green Goblin fight above the audience has been revamped completely. (The aerial fight scene is now the finale of the whole show.)

Act one is now expanded to just show the classic origin story, and the first act finale is now the creation of the Goblin, setting up the action of act 2. The bullying number has been expanded to include the girls in High School. Seems a little long, still. They've kept the gorgeous Arachne/Tapestry number, and played up Peter Parker's fascination with spiders. Arachne, who in the original version became the villain of the piece, is now more mentor/psychological inspiration for Peter, and this works pretty well.)

The score has been tightened a bit. Still not stellar, but the song Rise Again (you can find this on Youtube) has a definite old U2 feel, and has actually been haunting me for the last couple days. They've added a funeral scene for Uncle Ben which is surprisingly touching.

Act two has a brand new opener for the Green Goblin, which isn't a great song, but a fun number...and Patrick Page gets to really chew the scenery in grand style. He's really a pro! (In fact, no matter what happens with the show, I think he may be nominated as a Best Supporting Actor for the Tonys next year, simply because he's been such a trouper...sticking with the show, and stealing it every night.)

Act two now seems a bit ballad heavy. PP and MJ have two, and one needs to be cut. But the creation and vanquishing of the six other villains now makes much more sense.

And most importantly, as mentioned above, they've moved what was the first act finale to the second act finale. It was truly the best thing about the old version and so the anti-climax was ridiculous. (You went to intermission pretty impressed, and then came back and were bored, at best, for the rest of the show.) Now, the audience was roaring with excitement through the curtain call, as the flying, which is pretty great, is still fresh in the memory.

Some folks have made comments about the visible wiring, but it didn't bother me because the lighting plays it down, and also comic fans know that he is swinging from a web. There's never been a question that he's actually flying. He's always just been swinging around.

One of the most interesting parts of the evening was that after the show I connected with a friend of a friend who has been in it since the beginning. He ended up bringing another friend, who was in fact the kid who was almost killed in the accident in December, and is back in the show. It was very interesting hearing them talk about the entire procedure.

So now I have to say it will be interesting to see what happens next. It's still on track to officially open on June 14. The critics who all saw it on their own dime, and panned it, will now be invited guests. They really should concede that vast improvements have been made. They won't rave...it's not savvy and snarky like Book of Mormon, (a dream for savvy, snarky critics) but this show can probably find an audience, although I cannot imagine it recouping it's investment. (It's still on the 1/2 price board in Times Square every day.)

This show isn't for everyone. But I am a show queen...and proud to admit it. I am pleased to say I have seen both versions. I will admit that when my nephew comes this summer, this is what I will take him to. And I will probably enjoy it again.

Archived