"Anna Bolena" - Gruberova at age 64

Guest alanm
This topic is 4918 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am planning a trip to central Europe in late spring. I notice that Edita Gruberova is singing "Anna Bolena" in Dresden, a city I could easily use as the place to fly into & eventually fly home. I know that Gruberova's voice has held up relatively well, but is it possible she could do a credible "Anna" at age 64?

I have the DVD of Gruberova's "Norma," but my memories are hazy. I will listen again.

Any advice? There's nothing in the opera line I particularly want to see in Vienna and Berlin, other things yes.

But, the purpose of the trip is to visit smaller cities I have not seen before.

It's probably worth going just to see something in the restored Semper Oper. I remember seeing Gruberova in her Met debut as the Queen of the Night and being blown away, but of course that was at least a quarter century ago; I've heard her voice has gotten rather heavy over the years, perhaps too much for Anna.

Well that was a nice fantasy. There are only two performance of "Anna Bolena," the premier on June 6 and then June 10 and both are sold out. There are other choices like "Tannhauser" and Rossini's "La Gazza Ladra," although not quite as interesting to me. "Anna Bolena" is the only opera with so few performances.

Gruberova's voice has been sliding downhill over the past few years... but for a singer in her 60's I guess one should not complain.... Still, she does not possess a 'Bolena-type-voice'. I really didn't like her Norma and both roles were written for Giuditta Pasta. I did hear her as Lucia probably 20 plus years ago and I found the voice to be beautiful, yet small and silvery in quality... but I never liked the way that she articulated her coloratura... a disjointed central/eastern European style of singing that seemed to be wrong for Italian opera. I also never cared for the way she always slid up to those high notes in alt. Still, if given the opportunity I might consider seeing her in the part.

As for Dresden, Tannhäuser would seem to be the natural choice. However, I would personally opt for La Gazza Ladra as I don't think it would be something that would be mounted in the USA any time soon... plus I am a Rossini maven.

Archived