Friday Funnies

jackhammer91406

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does x^2 - x^2 not factor out the way it shows up there? (I can't remember how any more. Senescence!) If so, that's just a goof.

The real error that allows the apparent proof that 1=2 is the division by zero. @quoththeraven, I thought you yourself pointed that out when we brought up this case a few months ago?

Must have been someone else. It's been awhile since I've dealt with these types of equations, but I'm not seeing how x squared minus x squared is equal to (x+x) (x-x). It's the (x+x) that I don't understand the justification for.

Doesn't this whole thing start with 0=0 (x squared minus x squared of necessity equals zero)?

Must have been someone else. It's been awhile since I've dealt with these types of equations, but I'm not seeing how x squared minus x squared is equal to (x+x) (x-x). It's the (x+x) that I don't understand the justification for.

Doesn't this whole thing start with 0=0 (x squared minus x squared of necessity equals zero)?

The whole error is the division by an expression that equals zero.

Using x for both variables is messy. Let me try to recall here the better formulation:

a = b

a^2 = ab

a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2

(a + b) (a - b) = b (a - b)

a + b = b

b + b = b

2b = b

2 = 1

I don't think that's the error. Line 2 is incorrect, specifically the part after the equal sign.

No it's right. It's called 'factoring the difference of (perfect) squares. See the video below.

Does x^2 - x^2 not factor out the way it shows up there? (I can't remember how any more. Senescence!) If so, that's just a goof.

The real error that allows the apparent proof that 1=2 is the division by zero. @quoththeraven, I thought you yourself pointed that out when we brought up this case a few months ago?

Isn't the error line 3? You can't divide by zero so line 3 is only true when x-x <> 0. And that's not defined (in the real numbers at least).

According to what my 10 th grade geometry teacher said (and maybe my 1st year algebra teacher the year before), all these proofs rely on dividing by zero at some point. It's usually cleverly 'disguised' so you can't always pick it out. It's also one reason why math teachers don't actually like you to say that you are 'cancelling' out factors on both sides of the equation. What you are actually doing is dividing by the factor in question. And if you know the factor is = to zero, you know you can't actually do it.

Here's the reason line 2 is correct @quoththeraven. If you don't like this video-you can go from the other direction and use the FOIL (First-Outer-Inner-Last) Method to multiply (X + Y) times (X - Y) to see that it gives you (X ^2 - Y ^ 2) but you can substitute X for Y and it gives you the example above.

Gman

FOIL

( a + b) times ( a - b)

First

a X a = a ^ 2

Outer

a X -b = - ab

Inner

b X a = a X b = + ab

Last

b X - b = - b ^ 2

So

a ^ 2 + (-ab) + (ab) - b ^ 2 = a ^ 2 - b ^2

If b = a you get the equivalent expression @AdamSmith used. @quoththeraven you are correct that the original expression is equal to zero. That's part of the trick in these proofs. Using letters instead of actual numbers, people often lose sight of that.

Gman

I had to look up the meaning of this joke. But I understood it when I looked it up almost immediately whereas I didn't here because there's a line missing. After the juggler asks them whether they can see him the next line is supposed to be 'What do they say in Response?'.

Gman

That's a good one. But I thought this was the world's funniest joke:

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says, "Calm down. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence; then a gun shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says, "OK, now what?"

Gman

A man traveling calls home to his brother to check on the welfare of his cat. He asks, "How is Tiger?"

His brother replies, "He's dead."

The man screams, "Oh my God! You can't break it to me like that! That's awful. You have to give me time to adjust and get ready. First, you say, 'He's on the roof and we can't get him down.' Then, when I call the next day, you say that he hasn't eaten and he's looking weak. And then, about the third day, you can tell me he's dead! "

"By the way, how is Mom?", he asks.

Pause

"She's on the roof and we can't get her down."