Friday Funnies

jackhammer91406

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody except another sufferer knows the nights of agony I've endured. And now I continually have phantom pains!!

The Onion

Report: Male Hair Loss 7 Times More Painful Than Childbirth

http://i.onionstatic.com/onion/1587/2/16x9/1200.jpg

NEWS IN BRIEF August 23, 2011

VOL 47 ISSUE 34 · Science & Technology

LOS ANGELES—According to a study released Wednesday by the California Pain Medicine Center, subjects suffering from male- pattern baldness were found to experience a level of physical pain at least seven times more intense than that experienced by women during childbirth. "Clinical studies show that as hair gradually separates from the scalp, men experience intensifying waves of all-consuming pain equivalent to having their insides ripped out through the thousands of tiny follicles on their head," said Vincent Kwan, who led the all-male research team that carried out the study. "While strong uterine contractions and tearing of the vaginal walls undoubtedly cause a degree of discomfort among women in labor, balding men would give anything to experience those sensations instead of lying awake and suffering all night as their hair thins." Kwan stated that men's remarkable ability to endure years of excruciating agony without the aid of epidurals or other powerful analgesics was a testament to the sex's unrivaled tolerance for pain.

Gman

I don't think averages work like that... Still funny, though.

How silly. George shouldn't have used the term 'average' he should have actually said, "Think about how stupid the MEDIAN person is...

Median-

• mathematics : the middle value in a series where half of the set are above the value and half are below.

Gman

4dfeaba7c8de87fc761424d4537a8033.jpg

How silly. George shouldn't have used the term 'average' he should have actually said, "Think about how stupid the MEDIAN person is...

Median-

• mathematics : the middle value in a series where half of the set are above the value and half are below.

Gman

But if he had said "median" most of his audience would have missed the joke, right?

Revisiting this chestnut...

math-joke-num-list-300x195.gif

It took me a second. But I remembered something my 10th grade geometry teacher pointed out to my class (40 years ago now) when she performed a similar proof. (X - X) is equal to zero. You can't divide by zero and remain in the Real Number 'Realm'. Therefore @AdamSmith

your proof is sadly invalid. :(

Gman

PS Now if I could only remember where I put my glasses 10 minutes ago.:confused:

It took me a second. But I remembered something my 10th grade geometry teacher pointed out to my class (40 years ago now) when she performed a similar proof. (X - X) is equal to zero. You can't divide by zero and remain in the Real Number 'Realm'. Therefore @AdamSmith

your proof is sadly invalid. :(

Gman

PS Now if I could only remember where I put my glasses 10 minutes ago.:confused:

I don't think that's the error. Line 2 is incorrect, specifically the part after the equal sign.

I don't think that's the error. Line 2 is incorrect, specifically the part after the equal sign.

Does x^2 - x^2 not factor out the way it shows up there? (I can't remember how any more. Senescence!) If so, that's just a goof.

The real error that allows the apparent proof that 1=2 is the division by zero. @quoththeraven, I thought you yourself pointed that out when we brought up this case a few months ago?