Question regarding San Antonio and Austin

SteveStacks
This topic is 5060 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey guys! This topic has been addressed a bit in previous threads, but I was hoping to get as current information as possible.

I've got my flight booked and I will be in San Antonio and Austin in a little over a week.

I've already got some clients booked, but since this is a vacation as well as a work trip, I'm keeping some flexibility and free time just for sightseeing and stuff.

I'm really excited to finally get to check out Texas and I'm in the process of sorting out where I want to stay and how much of my visit I will spend in each city.

Does anyone have any advice to offer regarding that part of the country (things to do - good hotels/neighborhoods to stay in - etc)

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Just be prepared for the HEAT. Not quite like California. ;)

Well, Steve's profile says SF which isn't known for heat waves.

Of course this summer LA isn't making heat waves either. The high temps the last 3 days have set record lows. We're having June Gloom a little late this year.

Hey Steve,

Im in San Antonio also...however, I still find it hard to figure out whether I like Austin or SA more (or less).

It also makes a difference as to whether you are driving or taking public transportation (e.g. flying, taxi, bus). Neither SA or Austin has trains, so if you dont drive or rent a car...you would have to taxi, super shuttle, or bus (I wouldn't recommend bus as it gets 100+ degrees by noon).

Riverwalk is the downtown area, but personally I like to stay near the Airport/Northstar mall. You'll still be walking distance to everything as the hotels are situated near the mall. I've noticed many guys recommend downtown in every city, but I tend to avoid those areas unless I'm flying in. There are no hotels in Alamo Heights, but you may want to check out the Ballys there, its where I work out and a nice movie theater made from vintage train parts.

What else? The bars here suck...so I'd stick to Austin if you want to go out. In which you'd want to stay in either downtown or points north. But I dont know much about the Austin scene as I just haven't gotten there for whatever reason. In additon, I never found Austin to be busy enough for me.

Anyhow, I'm sure you'll enjoy it while you're visiting. I did. But personally (and its just my opinion, not to spoil anything) this place is not me at all. Im well over 1,300 miles from my original home in Florida and I cant stand it here. Its too different than what Im used to along the east coast:

• Its a dry state....both precipitation wise and liquor wise. No liquor in grocery stores.

• The speed limit is conservative...In Colorado, you can drive 75 day and night. Here its 70/60. The hell?

• Majority of the locals here are closed/narrow-minded, the music sucks (no original or beatmixed DJ's like they do in Miami and New York, just rap, mainstream bullcrap and tejano),

• the food is too spicy and homogenous-seafood totally sucks here, and people dont give a crap about their fitness which is why many of the popular gyms either never made it down here or tanked.

• I feel as if I moved to Mexico, which technically...Texas is Mexico. I dont care what the locals here say. I'm from another state and I can see that.

• Once you get here, it takes 2 days just to get out the state, unless you're flying.

I will be out of here by years end...I dont care how nice or cheap the cost of living is, they can keep it. There's 49 other states in this country, Several within my budget. the hell should I have to settle for living in just one? Texas, of all of them.

Anyhow, rant over, Enjoy your time here! Amongst all, Im sure you'll have a wonderful time (If I survived here this long, obviously SOMETHING is keeping me here).

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for the posts, and for the private messages everybody sent me! It's looking like this will be a great trip!

I LOVE the heat and I really like humidity too, so here's hoping it will be hot and humid! *LOL*

Thanks for your detailed post too Joey! I'm sorry to hear that you're not enjoying the area in certain ways, but I'm looking forward to checking out the cool things that Austin and SA offer that you mentioned.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Guest Wetnwildbear

I Spent a Year in Austin . . .

I have rarely been anyplace I disliked so much. The heat, the sites to be seen, etc.

The people I encountered were loud, rude, drunk and homophobic. The 6th St.

"Entertainment District" lacked in charm, class, variety, cleanliness and dental hygeine.

I was told Austin is the "most liberal" place in Texas. If true, that is genuinely horrifying.

And one of the big attractions - the BATS which come out from

under some bridge at sunset - refused too appear - two nights in a row.

I did enjoy the Chicken Tortilla Soup - a local speciality? Otherwise this is on my list of

places to avoid.

Sorry if I have offended any Texans - This was my experience.

[*]I feel as if I moved to Mexico, which technically...Texas is Mexico. I dont care what the locals here say. I'm from another state and I can see that.

[*]Once you get here, it takes 2 days just to get out the state, unless you're flying.

I will be out of here by years end...I dont care how nice or cheap the cost of living is, they can keep it. There's 49 other states in this country, Several within my budget. the hell should I have to settle for living in just one? Texas, of all of them.

Anyhow, rant over, Enjoy your time here! Amongst all, Im sure you'll have a wonderful time (If I survived here this long, obviously SOMETHING is keeping me here).

I have rarely been anyplace I disliked so much. The heat, the sites to be seen, etc.

The people I encountered were loud, rude, drunk and homophobic. The 6th St.

"Entertainment District" lacked in charm, class, variety, cleanliness and dental hygeine.

I was told Austin is the "most liberal" place in Texas. If true, that is genuinely horrifying.

Sorry if I have offended any Texans - This was my experience.

I also add myself to the list of apology if I've offended anyone. I'm sure I'm going to 'get it' from one of the locals sooner or later. But don't be offended...

I've encircled myself around rather open-minded people in the city, so its usually not an issue with a particular person.

To me, Austin is overrated. All the guys my age in town mention Austin, and how its just sooo much better. I think the hype is conditional, and limited to the type of person you are. I always find myself just passing thru it on my way to Dallas or San Antonio. You can have fun there, but to me its just too limited. I compare it to Tallahassee, Florida. Austin's a college town, the Capitol...but just with far less racial diversity.

Archived