Would You Stand for This?

GoodFella69
This topic is 5065 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fares would range between $10usd and $12usd. Would you be willing to fly like this (standing up the entire flight) if it was extra cheap?

Presumably taxes and fees would bump this price up, but I could see there being a market if there were still significant savings to be had. Europeans are used to leaning on similar benches on the subway and standing on busy intercity trains.

This is for Ryan Air in the UK.

Ryanair is actually an Irish low cost airline, with it's head office at Dublin Airport, Ireland, though a lot of their routes are to/from the UK.

Ryanair is now charging passengers for lavatory use

Europeans are used to paying to use public toilets.

Ryanair is actually an Irish low cost airline, with it's head office at Dublin Airport, Ireland, though a lot of their routes are to/from the UK.

Yes indeed that is correct and I forgot about that. I am not sure who would be more offended by my error, the Irish or the English...:)

Guest Spanky
Having recently spent more than nine hours in an excruciatingly uncomfortable economy seat on an Alitalia 767, I would not mind at all standing for a one hour flight--if it really took only that long, and not a couple more hours loading, taxiing, waiting on the tarmac, unloading, etc. After all, I have watched longer operas in Standing Room at the Met.

Lord I hadn't thought about that. Imagine - stuck on the tarmac for three hours and having to stand up.

Reminds me of one of thoste Tilt-a-Whirl seats in an amusement park.

I wonder just how one would assume "crash position" during an in-flight emergency in such a circumstance.

You are in the "crash" position when you get on board and strap in. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

Which business did you have in mind? The American economy, airline business or funny business? The US (and a few other) airlines are the safest way to travel and nothing I might say will change that. :) Otherwise, you might better use your illusions on the fetish threads. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

Which business did you have in mind? The American economy, airline business or funny business? The US (and a few other) airlines are the safest way to travel and nothing I might say will change that. :) Otherwise, you might better use your illusions on the fetish threads. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

When I started flying, I was curious how general aviation stacked up against the airlines and other forms of travel. I spent quite a bit of time researching statistics and came to the following general conclusions:

* Driving an automobile poses a fair risk to our health, statistically speaking, as we all know.

* General aviation (which includes me flying my Cessna, Fedex flying a cargo plane, a company exec on his bizjet and an actor on his King Air) has a record that is roughly comparable to driving, but not quite as safe. Interestingly, I discovered that, contrary to popular opinion, most GA accidents have people walking away from the accident.

* Motorcycles are far, far more dangerous than automobiles and general aviation. The record here is clear -- they may be fun but the level of risk is far higher.

* The airlines are by far the safest way to travel -- by a huge margin.

As humans, we're engineered to accept and minimize risks that we are familiar with and to be fearful of risks that represent something of the unknown. This may well have had its origins in times when we were not just predators but also prey. Thus, we don't think much about driving at 75 MPH in bumper-to-bumper highway traffic but jumping in "ONE OF THOSE LITTLE TINY PLANES!!! ARE YOU NUTS??? DO YOU THINK I HAVE A DEATH WISH???" :D

The reasons for the airlines' really stellar safety record is pretty clear: over the last 60 years, whenever there has been a bad accident, the airline industry and the government have analyzed the accident, studied the causes and, wherever practicable, engineered those causes out of the system. As a result, the entire system has gotten safer and safe to where the safety record is so strong that it's almost unbelievable how good it is. :)

When flying by airline, the drive to and from the airport really is likely to be the most dangerous part of the trip.

BG

BG-

It is the US "system" that is the safest, not the individual airlines, even collectively.

When you compared GA flying statistics to driving statistics, exactly what did you compare? Deaths per seat mile, total incidents, accidents per flight, etc. ? As you know, statistics can be bent every which way and I am not trying to beat you over the chops about this, just curious which ones you are using. :)

FEDEX is a 121 carrier although they do move execs around (and sometimes crew) via 91 biz jets.

Best regards,

KMEM

Guest Spanky
Driving in big city traffic scares the shit out of me.

Driving scares you? Try getting on your bicycle in a major metropolitan area. Talk about scared shitless.

Guest greatness

lol

I agree MsGuy.. I was driving in DC once and this rude guy gave me the finger through his rear mirror.. After that I've never driven in a big city... When I was in Chicago in May, there was this very rude guy driving like crazy. Yes both of them were driving fancy cars and didn't care about others. Most rich people I know are extremely greedy and needy. It suffocates me just to be around them.. Too self-important and swaggering.. so I like where I am at.. quiet and peaceful where people are nice and kind. I always believe something is basically wrong with our society.. New paradigm will emerge soon. What would that be?

Driving in big city traffic scares the shit out of me.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_t6rV3U9ZEHM/TCztWCE4hwI/AAAAAAAA1vE/bACs-cH-oFc/s1600/StandingRoom.jpg

Europe's budget airliner Ryanair is swiftly moving forward with plans to "revolutionize" air travel by introducing flights where passengers stand up rather than sit down. Testing on their "vertical seating" plane layout starts in 2011. Ryanair says the standing room tickets will initially only be available on flights of less than one hour and fares would range between $10usd and $12usd. Would you be willing to fly like this (standing up the entire flight) if it was extra cheap?

Goodfella

I'm not sure they could get it cleared for safety reasons. Assuming they could, they clearly would be making the money some other ways. Using standing room positions would mean no room for carry-on, either overhead or under the seat. I'm sure they would charge for all of these checked bags. It certainly wouldn't interest me, but it seems like this would get a lot of poor drunk Britons and Irish onto the Continent where they would engage in their usual hooliganism. I hope this idea gets nixed by the law.

The flights won't be long enough for you to do #2; #1 will be $5 extra. :)

This is Ryanair What toilets?

So instead of the premium extra-legroom seat, we will have to pay for the extra-depth Depends row?

And in place of headphones as we board, they will let us purchase the external catheter originally dubbed the Trolleyman's Friend. :)

Archived