Larry King Finally Quits CNN

ArVaGuy
This topic is 5079 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

After months of speculation Larry King has announced that he's retiring from CNN later this fall. He cites a desire, at age 76, to "spend more time with his wife and young children." Yeah, and the drumbeat from CNN brass had nothing to do with the decision I'm sure.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/29/larry.king.steps.down/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MUCH SUCCESS though you'll be missed by millions.

While I have heard about the speculation for the last year and figured the time was coming closer, I'm sad to hear of his departure from CNN and if my memory serves me correctly, he has been part of that network for quite some time if not since its inception some 25 plus years ago.

My fondest memories as a child were sitting with my mother who loved Larry King and watched his show religiously which she imprinted on me and since then, I have rarely missed an episode. If I was unable to view his programming, I was sure to record in when VCR's were the hot item and now he's continually recorded on my DVR box which is quietly waiting for me at home probably full of a couple days worth of programming. With MUCH respect for Larry, I wish him ALL THE BEST as he spends time with his family (an honorable decision) and with a heavy heart, I will continue to watch him in syndication land probably for years to come.

You have always been the best Larry and your interviews (IHMO) have always been inspiring along with thought provoking topics that many networks would never touch with a ten foot pole. I will miss you very much but know that like all wonderful things in life, they come to an end but I'm happy to see that Larry is ending this on his terms with honor and dignity. He has brought much to the news world and again, his departure will be sad though it will pave the way for the next generation of great interviews with awww inspiring information, guests and laughs for all to enjoy.

God speed my friend - you truly have been one of the best and join the ranks of only the best in TV land.

MUCH LOVE and great success with your family!

guess I'll be the grouch on this one....he was a trendsetter in the early years, but really went Hollywood in recent years and lost my respect....perhaps the CNN higher-ups made him do it, but these silly-ass interviews with unimportant "celebrities" and obsessive concern over these kidnapped kids and runaway brides in recent years really hurt his status, I think.....still, he's a big step above that indignant, exasperated ex-lawyer lady on CNN (forgot her name just now)....I know it's all about ratings and entertainment-value these days

I think you can even find youtube vids of him stumbling during interviews and appearing confused lately.....

nevertheless, he's done some incredible stuff over the years and has contributed much to all of us

I agree with Romann's comments. He was like an old friend or wise older uncle or grandfather that was somehow comforting to tune in and always be there at the same time. Kind of sad that an "old school" interviewer (like Johnny Carson) will be really not be on the air anymore. He may have stumbled a few times lately and not been quite as sharp as in years past, but at his age he is still doing great. I loved his recent interview with Lady GaGa. I mean, has anyone ever heard her open up and talk so much before that interview? I found her really articulate and interesting and did not really know anything about her other than her music and outlandish fashion statements.

I will miss him. I also enjoy Rachel Maddow and Anderson Cooper, but always found watching Larry to be like putting on a pair of you favorite old broken in jeans. Plus he always got all the really big stars and personalities in current events to do his show.

While I have heard about the speculation for the last year and figured the time was coming closer, I'm sad to hear of his departure from CNN and if my memory serves me correctly, he has been part of that network for quite some time if not since its inception some 25 plus years ago.

My fondest memories as a child were sitting with my mother who loved Larry King and watched his show religiously which she imprinted on me and since then, I have rarely missed an episode. If I was unable to view his programming, I was sure to record in when VCR's were the hot item and now he's continually recorded on my DVR box which is quietly waiting for me at home probably full of a couple days worth of programming. With MUCH respect for Larry, I wish him ALL THE BEST as he spends time with his family (an honorable decision) and with a heavy heart, I will continue to watch him in syndication land probably for years to come.

You have always been the best Larry and your interviews (IHMO) have always been inspiring along with thought provoking topics that many networks would never touch with a ten foot pole. I will miss you very much but know that like all wonderful things in life, they come to an end but I'm happy to see that Larry is ending this on his terms with honor and dignity. He has brought much to the news world and again, his departure will be sad though it will pave the way for the next generation of great interviews with awww inspiring information, guests and laughs for all to enjoy.

God speed my friend - you truly have been one of the best and join the ranks of only the best in TV land.

MUCH LOVE and great success with your family!

Right!

Sorry for the few who will undoubtedly get offended! I would be more offended IF "Howdy Doody" Ryan Seacrest gets his job! :eek:

I couldn't agree more. If he takes Larry's spot, I will cease watching the show because that man is so commercialized it's not even funny. I've never been a fan of that man but I know many who are.

Missed Perhaps but not as much anymore

HMMM Missed... well... Ok maybe Im a news snob. I still miss McNeil Lehrer. But Larry.... There was a time I would have jumped on that band wagon perhaps but no I agree it is time. Ive seen him slip just ever so slightly from where he was to where he is now. I think many are right he is leaving at just the right time. But to think of who could replace him.

Ryan seacrest are we kidding. Its like he's cut from a block of cream cheese

I miss Paul Harvey too, but his last few years on the air were downright pitiful.

Page Two.

Ryan seacrest are we kidding. Its like he's cut from a block of cream cheese

CNN has certainly tried out a bunch of guest hosts so they've got demographics to measure against. Kathy Griffin would be a scream, but it wouldn't be very long before she pissed off everyone and nobody would come on the show.

Joy Behar would be a FANTASTIC replacement.

But the one that keeps coming back, in my mind, is Piers Morgan. He has the right combination of smooth and genteel, and he isn't afraid to go hardcore when needed.

Booooooooo on Kathy Griffin!

CNN has certainly tried out a bunch of guest hosts so they've got demographics to measure against. Kathy Griffin would be a scream, but it wouldn't be very long before she pissed off everyone and nobody would come on the show.

Am I the only gay man alive that is really turned off by Kathy Griffin? I don't find her remotely funny but rather very annoying...

<DUCK AND COVER>

I agree, I can't see Ryan Seacrest replacing Larry King at all! I don't know why Larry raves about him so much and recommended he host it when he leaves. Why can't they just end the show and have no one replace it. Just let it be canceled and have an entirely new show on. or move Anderson 360 to that time slot and a different show after?

I couldn't agree more. If he takes Larry's spot, I will cease watching the show because that man is so commercialized it's not even funny. I've never been a fan of that man but I know many who are.

Am I the only gay man alive that is really turned off by Kathy Griffin? I don't find her remotely funny but rather very annoying...

<DUCK AND COVER>

You're not alone. You and Barbara Walters are the only gay men who don't find Kathy Griffin funny.

<DUCK AND RUN>!

Right!

<APPLAUSE>

I think ending the show and letting it go out with class is the best option. Adding Ryan Seacrest (IMHO) only degrades the long standing quality name that Larry brought to the show with a cookie cutter host that lacks personality.

Guest greatness

lol

My gay friends will kill me if I say bad things about Kathy.. I don't like her.. I can't stand her.. There you go I said it.. :) Oh my you and I have something in common..and I love Ms Chloe.. Do we see a future together~~~~~~ :) Another impossible dream..

<DUCK AND COVER>

oh my, greatness......fantastic video!.....all here should watch it...and go to full screen and crank those speakers!....the dude in it isn't too bad looking, either!

thanks, great!

and here's the follow-up to that very popular original video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7zuA2PGfE8&playnext_from=TL&videos=F3QEvJUwVJM&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh%2Bdiv-1r-5-HM

and we get to see the dude w/o a shirt on in this one!....cool seaside house, too......dare you not to get a little "misty" over this one!

Guest greatness

oh my

My pleasure azdr0710.. I'm glad that you liked it~~ :)

oh my, greatness......fantastic video!.....all here should watch it...and go to full screen and crank those speakers!....the dude in it isn't too bad looking, either!

thanks, great!

My gay friends will kill me if I say bad things about Kathy.. I don't like her.. I can't stand her.. There you go I said it.. :) Oh my you and I have something in common..and I love Ms Chloe.. Do we see a future together~~~~~~ :) Another impossible dream..

Greatness That is a great Video Thank you for sharing that. Some of my favorite Music Man of La Mancha. and one of the best books ever Don Q.

While you dream the impossible dream. Ive alwasys liked this one for a personal anthom

This is a little different version but I love Linda Eder... What? Im a gay man.

Guest greatness

oh my

She is amazing~~~ I wish I could sing like that~~~ :)

Greatness That is a great Video Thank you for sharing that. Some of my favorite Music Man of La Mancha. and one of the best books ever Don Q.

While you dream the impossible dream. Ive alwasys liked this one for a personal anthom

This will reveal just how old I am. I recall Larry King way back when he was calling the horse races at Louisiana Downs race track in Bossier City in the early 1970s. This was after his spectacular flame out in his early career due to drugs and alcohol abuse. Larry was on the long road of career rehabilitation which did not begin to gain traction till his radio program took off again. So each time I see Larry on CNN or any where the first thought comes to mind is this: “Passing the quarter pole heading for the home stretch its Baker’s Dozen in the lead followed by…..”

Larry King has survived long enough to become a broadcast institution. He may not have a reputation for asking tough questions but he often got his subject to reveal things others likely would not have. Over all King made a lot of news on his show. However, in the last decade it was pretty clear that Larry’s magic was gone. He should have retired a long while back while he was really on top. Instead he’s being forced out by the network despite CNN’s efforts to make it appear otherwise.

Would that be the wife he was only recently divorcing?

Yeah, and tried to commit suicide and recently visited a rehab facility and who's sister he allegedly had an affair. Obviously Larry has some family matters that need attention.

Archived