iPhone 4

Romann
This topic is 5085 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello from burning hot Dallas! ;)

Simply because I'm a total gadget/technology nerd with an insatiable craving for new toys and gadgets to keep my fingers and mind busy, the all new iPhone 4 specs and videos have been released to the public thanks to Apple.com today!

All I can say is "WOW!" and "I cannot wait!" till June 15th to put in my pre-order!

Check it out, iPhone 4 video, sit back and let Apple's magic wash over you and even tap into that emotional side of you with what I find to be a excellent marketing video.

I'm just in awww... now if the iPad could catch up. :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they are clever devices, but the corporate religion turns me off

I can certainly appreciate that but if I excluded companies because of their corporate politics/religion, I would be hard pressed to buy anything these days but that's just me.

I liked what I saw (but of course we'd seen most of it already).

HOWEVER, even though I'm an avid gadget junkie I'm not sure I'm ready to plunk down the $200-$300 yet. I already have the 3GS so there isn't THAT much I don't already have.

The camera improvements, and having a cam lens front & back is long overdue! The video calling feature is neat, but I can honestly say I'm likely to be the only iPhone user I know well enough for video chat for a while which will limit its usefulness. (Of course, being able to video chat with a naked Romann might sway me. :o )

If you are already an iPhone user and AT&T service suffices, but you have a pre-3GS model, yes this update would be good for you. For people who have the 3GS, I'd probably say wait until the phone you already have requires service and upgrade then.

iChat for some...

I was pretty impressed with the new glass front and back paneling with reinforced technology that currently outperforms the plastic shell with 20% additional durability. Also, the use of the metal side paneling increasing signal strength (something that is a problem here in the big D even where I live downtown) but that is also an AT&T network issue which they're currently upgrading with a nice 2 billion dollar investment - or so they're reporting. The iChat feature will be great but I did notice in very small print embedded in the video that both users must have the iPhone 4 and a Wi-Fi connection which I wasn't aware of before so I'm not so sure about that option as it does appear to be limiting.

One thing I'm trying to get clarification on is if Apple has subsidized the new iPhone and will allow AT&T to offer the same or similar discount they did last year for those that have had their previous iPhone for 1.5 or longer. I have two, one for work and personal which I purchased them apart from one another so that each year, I am eligible for the upgrade credit, essentially pushing the oldest phone out and having the two latest generation models every June. Here is to hoping that Apple doesn't mess around with my master plan and change the release dates for future iPhones.

Naked chat with me? Now that's a given! With my new web site on the verge of completion, new pictures set for this coming weekend and an upcoming video module to be added in the coming months, let everyone be warned at the things I'll be posting in due time.

The AT&T account management website has been down since around the start of Jobs' keynote today. Seems they pre-planned on being busy.

They're supposedly offering beneficial upgrade pricing HOWEVER please check the terms carefully. They're also offering new data plans which are NOT unlimited and will likely cost you a fortune if you routinely have to buy extra time for video chats.

I can certainly appreciate that but if I excluded companies because of their corporate politics/religion, I would be hard pressed to buy anything these days but that's just me.

Sorry, I did not make my point very well...I was not commenting about Apple's politics/religion but more that the love of all things Apple seems like a religion, and that is what turns me off about them. Most Applephiles that I know are a bit too closed minded about anything that is not apple. I love my I-pod touch, but that is far as I am going to go...:)

Apple for me but maybe not for others.

To each their own is what I always say.

I was a 12 year PC user but became HEAVILY frustrated in half ass work, programming and honestly, too many games not to mention daily crashes of my laptop. During my graduate studies, I needed something more reliable and finally took the plunge last year and purchased my first MacBook. I am happy to report that since that purchase, my MacBook has only crashed once and that was because of something I did and not a programming/application error. I've tried Red Hat and a number of other OS though they didn't compare to what Apple has created and sustained. While I have my complaints about Apple, overall their quality is unmatched and their innovation along with their integration of products is just amazing.

Having said that, I certainly keep my Dell around as a nice backup in the unlikely event that my MacBook goes to the curb like yesterdays trash.

They're also offering new data plans which are NOT unlimited and will likely cost you a fortune if you routinely have to buy extra time for video chats.

I heard word of this a few weeks ago when the iPad was released and the rate plans are different compared to the iPhone. I'm hoping it isn't so but AT&T isn't releasing much information about how the plans will be constructed. CNN was reporting that the adjusted plans (not unlimited data usage) will only be applied to new customers and existing customers should still be able to maintain their existing plans which is what I'm hoping for.

The story unfolds... ;)

The AT&T account management website has been down since around the start of Jobs' keynote today. Seems they pre-planned on being busy.

They're supposedly offering beneficial upgrade pricing HOWEVER please check the terms carefully. They're also offering new data plans which are NOT unlimited and will likely cost you a fortune if you routinely have to buy extra time for video chats.

good point, another reason that I cannot do the Iphone, even if I wanted to, is that ATT is a very bad provider in my area and they just have a low service rating overall compared to Verizon or T-Mobile. Really, they are all not that great, but T-Mobile works very well for me when I am out of the country, and so I have been there for over 13 years (before it was T-Mobile).

Guest OCBeachbody

Yup great new toy.... however you are right about the Data plans with AT&T.

I was thing trading my I-phone for a Droid. The Apples clones (china has a few) can be used on other network systems. Curious what is gonna win out ... the shiny new Iphone or the Tier data Plans?? :eek:

Apple = Innovation

I'm with you Romann: I love, love, love all my Apple products (Macbook, iPhone, iPod, etc.) so much more than I ever cared for my past cell phones (Nokia & Sprint) and my previous PC's (Dell & HP). I haven't jumped in to buy the iPad yet--just can't figure out why I 'need" it.

Apple is extraordinarily successful because it is innovative. Most of the world is not innovative. So most of the world hates Apple out of jealousy. It really is that simple. In fact, some Apple-naysayers have been so snide in their hatred for the last 20 years that I am starting to think of them as unintelligent. Thus the windows and linux zealots are slowly turning me into a smug Apple fan. Haters love to rip Apple, but the Silicon Valley (and now Wall Street) darling continues to defy conventional wisdom. Microsoft and others hammered Apple for its high prices in a recession, and so Apple answered critics with rosy quarterly earnings last month. In comparison, Microsoft posted a weak quarter with sales and profits sliding. There's a clear reason why Apple's share of the marketplace keeps growing while many of their competitors' market shares are slipping. That reason: Superior Innovation.

Right!

Here’s a funny iPhone 4 spoof that just went up on the Web today. It's called “Mac vs. Jane Lynch."

HAHA! Bravo and thanks!

I liked the "How to not dress like your best friends with ET, there's an app for that" application comment.

Suspense...

Curious what is gonna win out ... the shiny new Iphone or the Tier data Plans?? :eek:

Curious indeed! I am eagerly awaiting the plan releases which should pop up in the next few days considering the 15th is just next week for its launch. While I would like to think that AT&T will do the right thing, I'm almost betting on the fact that no matter what, the following will stomach the rate plan adjustments and unfortunately, I'm one of those fools. ;)

Right!

I love, love, love all my Apple products (Macbook, iPhone, iPod, etc.) so much more than I ever cared for my past cell phones (Nokia & Sprint) and my previous PC's (Dell & HP).

Ahhh! My twin! Where have you been? :)

I haven't jumped in to buy the iPad yet--just can't figure out why I 'need" it.

We should work on this together and feel out a reason why you should have it. ;)

Apple is extraordinarily successful because it is innovative.

Couldn't agree more and I used to be a PC mega fan.

There's a clear reason why Apple's share of the marketplace keeps growing while many of their competitors' market shares are slipping. That reason: Superior Innovation.

Their growth has been consistent at a nice rate which is reflected in their increased quarterlies but also in their stock price which is still at a premium and projected to continue.

I'm with you Romann: I love, love, love all my Apple products (Macbook, iPhone, iPod, etc.) so much more than I ever cared for my past cell phones (Nokia & Sprint) and my previous PC's (Dell & HP). I haven't jumped in to buy the iPad yet--just can't figure out why I 'need" it.

Apple is extraordinarily successful because it is innovative. Most of the world is not innovative. So most of the world hates Apple out of jealousy. It really is that simple. In fact, some Apple-naysayers have been so snide in their hatred for the last 20 years that I am starting to think of them as unintelligent. Thus the windows and linux zealots are slowly turning me into a smug Apple fan. Haters love to rip Apple, but the Silicon Valley (and now Wall Street) darling continues to defy conventional wisdom. Microsoft and others hammered Apple for its high prices in a recession, and so Apple answered critics with rosy quarterly earnings last month. In comparison, Microsoft posted a weak quarter with sales and profits sliding. There's a clear reason why Apple's share of the marketplace keeps growing while many of their competitors' market shares are slipping. That reason: Superior Innovation.

Well do not get me started about Microsoft...talk about hatred

Anyway to each his own, I certainly love my i-pod, but the phone hype is not my cup of tea and I will survive without an I-pad as well. I considered getting an Apple desk top, but too much of my expensive management software would have to be changed, or would not work at all. The main appeal was the fact that the hacker & virus worlds seem to not waste much time on producing malicious viruses and malware for Apple products and focus on the PC's that most of the world uses.

I wonder how it will all go when Steve Jobs is no longer around?

Curious indeed! I am eagerly awaiting the plan releases which should pop up in the next few days considering the 15th is just next week for its launch. While I would like to think that AT&T will do the right thing, I'm almost betting on the fact that no matter what, the following will stomach the rate plan adjustments and unfortunately, I'm one of those fools. ;)

if you already have the $30 unlimited dataplan, you are grandfathered uneven if you sign a new 2 yr contract and even if you change iPhones.

I'm one of the 98% who doesn't exceed 2 GB/ month but for $5 more per month I'll keep the unlimited plan.

I'm one of the 98% who doesn't exceed 2 GB/ month but for $5 more per month I'll keep the unlimited plan.

Same here, if I make a change, particularly since they're no longer offering the unlimited plan as a choice for new accounts. Hold what you've got.

Marketing sucker #1!

if you already have the $30 unlimited dataplan, you are grandfathered uneven if you sign a new 2 yr contract and even if you change iPhones.

You're my hero! With all the data that I use just for email between the both phones, I would be screwed and not in a good way with excess fees and additional taxes.

That's one thing about the iPhone and AT&T that really gets under my skin and that's their plan construction. Once you add in your minute plan whether that be a restrictive talk plan or unlimited plus unlimited text and data, your bill is quite inflated. My problem is I do so much text with an average of 1500-2k a month, Apple and AT&T have a nice firm grip on wallet. The shame. :)

Still have the "original recipe" ...

I still have the first version of the iPhone (I guess they're calling it "2G" now?) so I'm definitely ready to upgrade. I'm not sure if AT&T has decent 3G service in my area, so I hope it's worth it.

It's sort of interesting how the materials have evolved-- the first version has a glass front and an aluminum back, then the next two (3G and 3GS have a lot of plastic), now they're back to mostly glass with a metal band (which I gather serves as the antenna) surrounding the phone.

Does anyone know if the accessories for the first iPhone (i.e., docking radios, chargers, etc.) will work with the 4?

Does anyone know if the accessories for the first iPhone (i.e., docking radios, chargers, etc.) will work with the 4?

It's my understanding that the phone accessories are supposed to be universal no matter what version of the iPhone one has.

Archived