"Bali Hai" may call you.....on PBS

Lankypeters
This topic is 5094 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

More Bit parts

And I got to play oboe in the pit orchestra for an amateur (but good)

production in the SF bay area back in the late 70's. Fabulous music,

was surprised that, unlike the movie, there's no English Horn part.

The Movie is GREAT too

I'm looking forward to the simulcast, as I can't to NYC before the show closes. However, I have finally bought the movie, as it is still a great musical, basically one of those shows that is timeless.

Did a double-take when I first read this thread. Saw "original cast" and thought of Mary Martin, etc ----all of whom are dead! Then realized we are talking the "original cast" of the most recent revival. Definitely looking forward to seeing this PBS showing.

Mary's on a cloud with Janet Gaynor.

Go! Go! Go!

I saw it again last night via tdf. 5th time, and to my amusement I had the best seats of all five visits...for only $37 each.

Don't miss this revival. I will probably go again. Three hours long with a first act that's 1:40, (so pee first), but it's a rare show where the audience gets so drawn in that the listening is so intent that it's palpable. There are no candy wrappers, no fidgeting with purses...just complete and rapt attention.

The current leads: Laura Osnes and William Michels are terrific. Osnes has an ingenue quality that Kelly didn't have. (And don't get me wrong, I loved Kelly.) And Michels is sexy in a very different way than Paulo Szot. But still has the vocal chops.

Even with the PBS broadcast coming, if you can get there...go yourself. The thirty piece orchestra alone is worth the ticket price. And the original Luthor Billis and Bloody Mary are still sensational.

Me, too!!

I was there last night as well, and also on a TDF ticket! Was that you I joked with on the bathroom line? LOL

Yes, the seating options through TDF were very good and we sat first row center loge and had a terrific view. The show has held up well and the two leads were very good. I couldn't help but notice that the theater was only about 70% full and there were many empty seats in the orchestra and loge. Shame! This is classic Broadway theater and it doesn't get any better than this.

While I will be sorry to see it go at the end of August, wait till you see next year's replacement from the National Theater in london...WAR HORSE! I'm telling you, it will knock your socks off. It's not a musical but a riveting, dramatic, emotional, spectacular piece of theater that is should be a super-hit.

ED

I have been meaning to get down the Ahmanson Theater in Los Angeles to see the National Touring Company of this revival, and just got the added push I needed to get me to buy the Ticket. I found out that Rod Gilfry, a Baritone with an international reputation in Opera, is playing the role of Emile. He has a physical presence as beautiful as his voice. Here is a clip of him singing a song from "the Most Happy Fella" at a concert in Barcelona. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voSxxdv6--w

Archived