Ovo - Cirque du Soleil

skynyc
This topic is 5096 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have seen many Cirque shows. I have seen two in Vegas and most of them as they come through NY. This may be my all time favorite. The conceit of the show...insects, was perfectly handled. And the acts fit marvelously into this theme.

Without offering any spoilers, I had heard nothing about this show before seeing it and found each "act" to be more interesting and creative than the previous...with the finale being mind-blowing. I have all ready purchased tickets to see it again.

I believe that tonight (Monday 4/12) is the opening of this show, and imagine the reviews will be raves. I suspect tickets will go fast.

My one lowpoint was the lady who was two rows in front of me, (too far for me to comment) who even after the "No photography" announcement, pulls out her iPhone, takes a picture, then downloads it onto her Facebook page with a texted update. All of this with her three year old daughter in her lap. I guess that child is never going to learn good behavior.

Suggestion: the bus from 125th St in Harlem is the quickest way to get there, but I recommend the Watertaxi from 34th Street. A lovely trip up the river. Worth the $20 round trip...but note: there is a LONG walk from the taxi landing to the show.

• 1 month later...

Banana Shpeel Slips

The Times couldn't join in the fun of Banana Shpeel, the new Cirque show at the Beacon Theater.

...clown eradication is something that would benefit all of humanity and would certainly benefit this show, which is not as entertaining as something that lasts almost two and a half hours ought to be."

Well, you can't win them all. I recently saw O in Las Vegas and remembered how good Cirque can be, but maybe they have too many shows going on to get them all right.

Guest rohale

I had the chance to watch Cirque Du Soleil-Ovo show in New York not too long ago. I thought from the sheer acrobatics to the detailed, colourful costumes, impeccable choreography, and the set design, the show was impressive in so many ways. In certain ways it reminded me so much of what Peter Gabriel was trying to achieve with his Ovo Millenium show from ten years ago now. Ovo from Cirque Du Soleil in it's entirety is a delightful performance and very family friendly. The show is great for all ages.

Sometime in the not too distant future, I'm hoping there will be a collaboration project between Peter Gabriel and Cirque Du Soleil. Now that would be unique and very intriguing.

I have seen many Cirque shows. I have seen two in Vegas and most of them as they come through NY. This may be my all time favorite. The conceit of the show...insects, was perfectly handled. And the acts fit marvelously into this theme.

Without offering any spoilers, I had heard nothing about this show before seeing it and found each "act" to be more interesting and creative than the previous...with the finale being mind-blowing. I have all ready purchased tickets to see it again.

I believe that tonight (Monday 4/12) is the opening of this show, and imagine the reviews will be raves. I suspect tickets will go fast.

My one lowpoint was the lady who was two rows in front of me, (too far for me to comment) who even after the "No photography" announcement, pulls out her iPhone, takes a picture, then downloads it onto her Facebook page with a texted update. All of this with her three year old daughter in her lap. I guess that child is never going to learn good behavior.

Suggestion: the bus from 125th St in Harlem is the quickest way to get there, but I recommend the Watertaxi from 34th Street. A lovely trip up the river. Worth the $20 round trip...but note: there is a LONG walk from the taxi landing to the show.

Really Sky. OK I love Cirque and have seen every show I can find from vegas orlando and all the touring shows. I loved OVO no doubt but I must admit that I still think the original Mystere in Vegas just blew me away. Perhaps its because it was the first and I truly had no idea what to expect. always a soft spot for my first :D

Archived