What show do you suggest

kjun
This topic is 5134 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

what to see.....

......depends on how much time has passed since your last visit to Gotham. If you haven't seen "Billy Elliot" and/or "South Pacific," one and/or the other should top your list. They remain the best shows in New York.

"Next Fall" has many admirers, though I had serious reservations about the writing. I haven't seen "Promises, Promises," but I'm hearing enthusiastic reports, especially for Sean Hayes' performance. "The Adams Family" getting mixed to negative comments prior to opening Thursday. I'd skip it.

If you go on the NYTimes website, go to "Theater," then to "Broadway" and/or "Off-Broadway," you can check out the readers' reviews as well as the Times review, if the show has opened. If you throw out the extreme comments and sift through the rest of the readers' reviews, you can usually get a sense of what's strong or weak about a particular production. I've found the consensus here very reliable.

I know several people who have seen the "Adams Family" and they have loved the show. They have seen the show in New York and it is much changed from Chicago's pre-Broadway run. One of the persons is very critical but she said she had a great time. I have tickets for the memorial day week-end. I can report back then but after it opens and there are reviews we will all know the answer.

"Addams" family reviews

Today's (4/9) NYTimes review of "The Addams Family" lays the show to rest. Sort of. In the 50s and 60s, when a show received this sort of pan, it closed at the end of the week. Now that Times Square has turned into Disneyland, the show will probably run at least a year.

Great line from Entertainment Weekly's review: "If you like corn on the macabre with Nathan Lane as the chief ham......."

Archived