What's Next in Theater?

Lucky
This topic is 5127 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Lucky me gets to go to New York one more time this spring. I have tickets to Enron and La Cage Aux Folles, with room for three more shows.

I also have a ticket to see Looking for Billy Haines. It's an off-Broadway gay-themed show by romance novelist Suzanne Brockman. She's pretty good at the novels, but this is apparently her theater debut. She has written one gay romance novel, which I liked, and has a gay son. Will Billy Haines be good? I like to take chances, so I got a ticket. But the NY Times allows reader reviews before a show opens, and, well, it's not good. The first reviewer gave it one star, saying "Sadly, this is one of the most tragic trainwrecks I've ever witnessed in a theatre." The second reviewer also gave it one star. Absent better reviews, I may waste the ticket to see something better.

That could be the Temperamentals, playing until May 9th. It's the story of the creation of the Mattachine Society, an early gay rights organization, and is much more liked by the Times amateur reviewers.

Lips Together, Teeth Apart was on my list until Megan got her teeth too tight. So, what to replace it with? I am open to ideas.

Fences intrigues me a lot, as it stars Denzel Washington, who I would love to see on stage in a dramatic role,and it has a baseball theme too. However, they are being really chintzy on the discount coupons,offering only back of the balcony at this point. My plan is to do TKTS unless something better comes along.

So, I didn't title this thread Lucky's Spring Theater Choices since we all have choices to discuss. I've got about 3 weeks to pick those other 3 shows, so I'd like to hear yours..

Some buzz and a couple thoughts...

Hi Lucky

Glad you are coming back again.

I think Fences is going to be pretty great. Viola Davis is also terrific, and they just announced the production team which is strong. I agree the discount situation is really bad, but the balcony of the Cort isn't too awful if you get front row or sit in the side section on one of the two middle aisles.

I work only blocks from most theaters and run for tickets for myself and friends at least once a week, let me know if you need me to add you to my run. Saves so much in service charges...but you are at the mercy of what seats I pick. LOL

I recall you saying you don't like Sean Hayes, but he is getting raves as far as word of mouth in Promises Promises. In fact, Ms. Chenoweth is getting iffy reviews as she tries to find this tricky role. I am sure she will be amazing, though, once she does. But supporting cast members Tony Goldwyn and Katie Finneran are apparently very strong also. I suspect this show to really clean up at Tony time.

Lend Me a Tenor is silly good fun, and the cast is pretty strong. Brooke Adams is no Jane Connell, but for me she was the only weak link. And I would almost suggest seeing it for Jan Maxwell alone.

See my Million Dollar Quartet review elsewhere in this forum. Not for everyone, but I enjoyed it a great deal.

Off Broadway, I strongly recommend The Temperamentals, which I will be seeing again next month. And I Never Sang for My Fahter with Kier Dullyea is getting good buzz. I am intrigued by the rock show Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson, but haven't heard from anyone who's seen it yet.

Are you coming the weekend of 4/8-11? Then definitely put Anyone Can Whistle (Encores at City Center) on your list.

And if you can find a ticket to Scottsboro Boys at the Vineyard, that is not to be missed no matter what Brantley said. Although it will be back in other incarnations, I suspect. (Talkinbroadway's Shoppin' forum has had tickets a couple times.)

Will post if I hear other news.

Thanks for the recommendations. You think I should bite the bullet and get full-price for Fences? Maybe if I could save the fees.

I'll check out the other shows, but if you are going to see The Temperamentals for the second time, well, that says something.

Sherie Rene Scott Everyday Rapture

Headed to Broadway to replace Lips Together, Teeth Apart, this one woman autobiographical musical did very well in it's extended run at Second Stages last season. I saw it and had a terrific time.

ED

Sondheim On Sondheim

A must-see for any Sondheim fan! This was like taking a master class with the maestro himself. A wonderful evening of Sondheim highlights from all his works. A terrific cast led by Barbara Cook and Vanessa Williams have near show-stopping moments along the way. Stephen appears via video footage in new and some old clips commenting along the way with some very interesting insights into his life (Who knew he grew up with the Hammerstein's in PA?). Also, some very funny moments, including a monatge of YouTube clips of some famous, and not so famous, singers doing "Send In The Clowns." And, for all the diehard fans out there rare songs cut from some of his shows including the Mama Rose nunmber, cut in Philly, called "Smile Girls," and the number put into the London production of "Follies" for Diana Rigg called "Ah, But Underneath." (which replaced the Alexis Smith number).

It was a truly memorable night of theater and I will go again.

ED

Ed, I am so happy to hear that you were impressed by "Sondheim on Sondheim", I looked at the audience reviews in the New York Times and was concerned. What you described is just what I hoped the production would be. Do they have the technical glitches worked out that seem to have plagued the early previews?

Creditors

Creditors is coming to BAM on April 16th from the Donmar Warehouse, where it wowed audiences. So, I took a chance and bought a ticket- just one day after the discount coupons expired! But a full-price seat is only $75 in the orchestra,and the fees added were not big. What did we do before the internet?

The Donmar, btw, is where I saw Frost/Nixon, so I know they do some good stuff.

Looped

I had some apprehension about seeing Looped because I had a wide variety of reactions from friends to this production. One or two folks I know left at intermission while others loved every second. I am happy to say, I fall into the later group. It was an enjoyable piece of theater.

I've long been intriqued by Tallulah Bankhead and was not fortunate enough to see her in any shows before she died. To be honest, my one frame of reference was her appearance on the Lucy/Desi Comedy Hour. (see YouTube for clips from this show). I did read her autobiography and found her life fascinating. Of course I've seen more than one drag queen do Tallulah as part of the act.

Although primarily a fictional account of Tallulah having to go into a studio to overdub one of her lines for her last film Die, Die My Darling, this is a truly hysterical show of one liners. Valerie Harper does a terrific job recreating the image of Tallulah and the audience tonight loved her. I didn't see anyone leave the show at intermission. There were lots of gay men, young and old, in the audience. The show does get a bit slow in the second act but soon picks up when an almost unexpected plot twist opens the door to show a more sensitive side of Tallulah.

So, perhaps for those who have no idea who Tallulah Bankhead was, I probably wouldn't recommend this show but for gay men who love the bigger than life divas, then perhaps this might please you. If you thought madonna, Brittany, Paris, Amy and all the other gals today are shocking, they couldn't hold a candle to this original fiesty funny bitch.

ED

Sad...

I just saw this announcement and am saddened by the news because Valerie Harper really is terrific and deserves to be seen in this role. I agree with most of the critics (which is rare) that the play itself was sadly lacking, but her performance (which was heralded by most critics) is really terrific. It's too bad they weren't able to keep it running for another couple weeks because I feel certain that Ms. Harper will be nominated for a Tony, and it would be great for the voters to be able to see her.

Lucky me gets to go to New York one more time this spring. I have tickets to Enron and La Cage Aux Folles, with room for three more shows.

I also have a ticket to see Looking for Billy Haines. It's an off-Broadway gay-themed show by romance novelist Suzanne Brockman. She's pretty good at the novels, but this is apparently her theater debut. She has written one gay romance novel, which I liked, and has a gay son. Will Billy Haines be good? I like to take chances, so I got a ticket. But the NY Times allows reader reviews before a show opens, and, well, it's not good. The first reviewer gave it one star, saying "Sadly, this is one of the most tragic trainwrecks I've ever witnessed in a theatre." The second reviewer also gave it one star. Absent better reviews, I may waste the ticket to see something better.

Billy Haines gets reviewed in the Times, and it isn't a great review:

http://theater.nytimes.com/2010/04/06/theater/reviews/06looking.html

UPDATE: So, after having read the review and learning that the show is written by Brockmann and her husband (using a pseudonym) and starring their son, whose last name matches neither of theirs, I felt a little deceived. The play is being marketed as an ordinary off-Broadway show, not some family affair to give the son a chance to be on stage. So, I wrote to Brockmann, and received a prompt reply, albeit from someone else.

I was told that if I had read the gaycitynews.com, or theatremania, I would have known it was a family thing. I don't think it was my obligation to research the show before I bought a ticket. I think they should have been upfront.I was then referred to another review in showbusinessweekly.com. I haven't read it yet, but, given that I only have so many slots for theater, I might have picked differently had I known the behind the scenes info.

The note from the show concluded that if I wanted a refund, they would "look into" it. What would you do?

Further update: The articles I was cited that had I read I would have known were all published after I bought my ticket. Here's the alternate review they want me to read:

http://www.showbusinessweekly.com/archive2010/585/billy.shtml

William Haines has a good bio out. I suggest it for some interesting history reading. One of the few stars to ever tell Louis B Mayer off. Became a well known decorator loved by Nancy Reagan and did their home. His custom designed furniture comes up in the "Modern" auctions and is prized by collectors. His style is now called "Hollywood Regency" and having somewhat of a come back.

Lucky,

I saw "Billy Haines" and walked out at intermission. It is a total vanity production and makes no sense at all. take the loss and go see the South Korean movie "Mother" if it's still in theaters. Also, Oscar winner foreign film - name is something like "The Secret Of The Eyes"

opens next weekend.

There is a new show "The Irish Curse" that got some positive press and it is discounting

at Playbill.com for $29.50 I think.

Other discount sites included:

theatermania.com

BroadwayBox.com

Cash, I do see movies while I am in New York. It is something to do in the daytime, so I will look into your suggestion.

As for Billy Haines, no word back on my refund, but I am definitely not going. The reader reviews in the NY Times are scathing. I think that The Temperamentals will be an ideal replacement.

Billy Haines gets reviewed in the Times, and it isn't a great review:

What would you do?

Sorry Lucky, but I think you're "out-of-luck" on getting a refund. If the performance was cancelled or the lead actor out of the performance, perhaps, but once you pay for a ticket you are pretty much locked into using the ticket or letting it fall by the wayside.

Of course, you can always take the ticket and stand in front of the theater waving it in the air and see if you can sell it. Perhaps you should auction it off on the Board.

Good luck.

ED

Lucky,

I saw "Billy Haines" and walked out at intermission. It is a total vanity production and makes no sense at all. take the loss and go see the South Korean movie "Mother" if it's still in theaters. Also, Oscar winner foreign film - name is something like "The Secret Of The Eyes"

opens next weekend.

Cash, the Times today has a feature about the film The Secret of the Eyes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/movies/15secret.html?hpw

Archived