Montreal question

LurkerSpeaks
This topic is 5184 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Does anyone have any experience staying at Le Cartier B&B? http://www.bblecartier.com

I am hoping to make it to Montreal in mid May, and I can get a studio suite at the Le Cartier for around $100 per nite.. or I can get a room at the Guv for just a few dollars more. I have never stayed at either place before. I have heard that the Guv is so so as far as quality and service, but obviously can't be beat for location. The suites at Le Cartier seem/look nice according to their website. The two suites share one main entrance, separate from the rest of the b&b, as well as the both share one kitchenette...In the past, I have stayed several times at the Delta Montreal and the Hyatt Regency, getting both of them thru Priceline..usually for around 60-70$ USD or less, but it looks like the priceline rates are up on them lately..any advice on these two hotels/b&b's would be appreciated, as well as advice on any other places to stay that would be in or very close to the village..I hope to pay under $100 per nite and would like a little more anonymity than a regular b&b would provide..

I have been through the Sir Montcalm to look at their rooms, before they finished the rear rooms off the courtyard. The front rooms as I recall all were directly off the common room which is a nice lounge but would not afford any privacy to those going into and out of their rooms (again not sure of the set-up for the rooms at the rear but when they were under construction I could see through to them from the lounge area as well).So while the owners have their own entrances for their quarters below, I'm not sure about how much anonimity there is in the setup.

You could try the BBV (the owner is Serge) who is very nice young guy who bought the place from the original owners a few years ago. I used to use it before I got my condo on the same street (Montcalm), just down from Ste Catherines so the location is in the heart of the village (one block from Campus and half a block from Stock). The BBV has a variety of setups, single rooms in the original building, also a small house (really tiny) with a living room on the main floor and bedroom upstairs right next door. The front door is right on the street so the only person seeing you come any go is me if I am at home LOL! (I'm not kidding though, because I once happened to see a well known dancer from Stock go in this cottage with a very elderly man who was not his father!)

They also have 3 apartments with a separate entrance in a three storey greystone annex just north on the street and this has studios for longer stays with kitchenettes. Some of these studios are off a rear courtyard with one studio per level and separate doors accessed from an outside staircase. I think this facility will give you the privacy you want but don't know about their rates. Under the previous owners you got 10 percent off with cash.

Hope this helps.

Hotel/Priceline rates way up!

I was happy to see this thread start since I've been researching accomodations for mid to late June and am finding the rates stuck at unprecedented levels for that period. I've begun looking (hesitantly) at B&B's although have never stayed at one in the past. (Almost anything can look good in pics.) I will certainly keep Taz's suggestion in mind (about the Montcalm one) since I'll be able to save on cab fare after leaving Stock with no money left in my pocket after an evening in the backroom :) Any other B & B suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm already anxious for the trip!

I have sent emails to both the bbv and the sirmontcalm.. am awaiting answers back.. I too welcome any other suggestions.. My requests would be someplace that allows some anonymity as far as coming and going..clean, nice, in the Village or very close to it..some place where if i do chose to bring back some "company", I a) wont be ashamed of the place, and b) where I wont have to sneak him in to avoid disdainful looks from others.

Also hoping to find something for 5nites, under $100US per nite...

I heard back from the montcalm.. and so much for the "taz" special rate. they merely told me which rooms were available and referred me back to their website...ok. update... i responded back, thanking them for their time but letting them know that their published rate was higher than I was planning on spending (I could get a room at the Guv for the same or less), they replied, offering a 15% discount, and reminding me that their "wonderful" breakfast is included...

While it was a nice gesture, it still leaves the price at over 100$ per nite. I just am not completely sold on the whole b&b idea I guess..I dont like the thought of someone watching my comings and goings...

Bbv

I can speak highly of BBV. We've stayed there many times. Denis, the manager, is great. We've only stayed once since the new owners were there and we stayed for the first time in the Maison/House, which I see now rents for $250. It didn't then. Most often we (me & the husband) and our friend stay at the Little House which is very cute and reasonable. We've also stayed on the first floor and taken both rooms which shared a bathroom and was called their suite but I think they've since remodeled that layout.

We prefer it to the Gouverneur where we've also stayed.

I didn't mention the Maison/House because I wasn't sure it was being rented out. The previous owners lived there for awhile. If it is renting for $250 a night, it would be an interesting idea for those who visit Montreal in the summer and want to stay in a house on a short term basis. It is the oldest house on Montcalm St., an original French Canadian style cottage dating from the mid 1800's. Moreover it has a backyard with patio, and is really cute to boot!

As someone else mentioned , the BBV has indoor parking which is unusual for b&b's in downtown Montreal. They can park quite a few cars and it eliminates the worry of leaving your car on the streets. FYI I have absolutely NO financial interest in the BBV nor any connection to the owners, current or past. The place just happens to be across the street from my condo and I have known it for 15 or so years as a client years ago and now as a neighbour.

And Serge, the owner, is really cute!

after several emails back and forth (and my having asked the question in my first email), I am now being told that sir montcalm does not offer the privacy that I am seeking. It is set up as a "regular" type b&b where you enter into a common living room. It does seem like a very nice place and the owners have been very accomodating up to this point. For anyone who likes the b&b type setup, I would recommend it from my experience so far. But I think I will pass and hopefully find something a little more to my liking. BBV offers several studio apartments for rent..Only issue with these is my dates of travel. I would have to spend the first night in one unit, then move next door for the remaining 4 nites....But, again, the owner of these has been very willing to work with me and accomodate my requests.. so for now, this is looking like the best choice for me..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived