Neil Patrick Harris singing in "Sweeney Todd"

adriano46
This topic is 5299 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am sure many here -especially those who follow Neil Patrick Harris' career - know of his turn in the concert production (2001) of "Sweeney Todd" in San Francisco.

I had seen excerpts of the concert version on You Tube in the past, but somehow never saw the parts where he sings, and what a really pleasant surprise to hear his really clear voice singing the part of the young boy who first works for Pirelli and then for Sweeney Todd.

Here is NPH singing "Nothing's Gonna Hurt You"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZt0A4-d7Kk&feature=related

If you have the time and patience, you can download the entire 16 part condert version, as Patti Lu Pone stars and it has a really great cast -- different than the Johnny Depp film, and from other versions. Enjoyed hearing the entire concert.

Patti Lupone playing second fiddle

saw Patti Lupone and Michael Ceveris do sweeney todd on broadway a few years ago in its concert version, No neil patrick Harris. It was a very enjoyable evening. Must admit (as we know I love Angela Lansbury from my little night music posts) if you are going to replace angela lansbury(saw her in the original WOW) Patti Lupone was a great substitute. How often can you think of Evita as a substitute.

saw Patti Lupone and Michael Ceveris do sweeney todd on broadway a few years ago in its concert version, No neil patrick Harris. It was a very enjoyable evening. Must admit (as we know I love Angela Lansbury from my little night music posts) if you are going to replace angela lansbury(saw her in the original WOW) Patti Lupone was a great substitute. How often can you think of Evita as a substitute.

I also saw Angela Lansbury in the Broadway version and I believe Len Cariou played Sweeney. It was fun and exciting.

I also saw Angela Lansbury in the Broadway version and I believe Len Cariou played Sweeney. It was fun and exciting.

Len cariou was one of the best and creepiest performances ever. only darker was Royal Shakespeare production of Marat/Sade can only say I saw the video tape of opening night on that one. but whew

I am sure many here -especially those who follow Neil Patrick Harris' career - know of his turn in the concert production (2001) of "Sweeney Todd" in San Francisco.

Neil Patrick Harris also appeared in the New York version with the same cast (except Audra McDonald on the east coast) a year earlier (2000) with the New York Philharmonic. By accident, I was in SF for a few days in 2001, so I got to see both the NY and SF performances. Harris was excellent as Toby. The SF concert is available on DVD.

Neil Patrick Harris also appeared in the New York version with the same cast (except Audra McDonald on the east coast) a year earlier (2000) with the New York Philharmonic. By accident, I was in SF for a few days in 2001, so I got to see both the NY and SF performances. Harris was excellent as Toby. The SF concert is available on DVD.

Alan - thanks for the head's up on the DVD - I just noticed it on AMAZON.

I also happened to see on You Tube more examples of the Broadway mkusical abilities of Neil Patrick Harris -- somehow I missed that side of him, which makes him even more appealing not only as a comedian but also as an actor.

On Patti LuPone vs Angela Langsbury, of course Angela is a LEGEND and I have seen her years ago in many productions. I have been fortunate, though, to also see Patti LuPone in the original EVITA as well as in SUNSET BLVD, and she is an amazing actress with an equally amazing vocal range and ability. I had not seen her in SWEENEY TODD until this version and now will order the DVD.

I did like the movie version of SWEENEY TODD (thoought Depp was spectacular and Bonnet-Carter was equally amazing, and Tim Burton's direction brought new depths to the play) BUT disliked the shortened musical sections (and some music cut completely), and the version of "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" too truncated, as it was/is one of my favorite pieces (next to "Pretty Women," "Nothin's gonna hurt you." and "Joanna" among other pieces.

Ah - all this Broadway nostalgia - better see what I can get tickets for in January.

Archived