H1N1 flu shot

Steven_Draker
This topic is 5306 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tristan
Since I travel a great deal, my doctor suggested that I do this fall both the seasonal flu and the H1N1 influenza vaccination.

I was wondering if anyone else here did it or intend to do the vaccine? There is still a great controversy in Europe about the H1N1 flu shot. I was wondering what do you guys think?[/color]

I got the H1N1 vaccination two weeks ago and have had no problems. I was able to get it in my doctor's office because I am in a high priority group - chronic illnesses. In my case, asthma was enough to qualify. My doctor's office has a lot of patients who qualify, so the office itself is a high priority practice.

If anyone has a chronic respiratory illness, neurological condition, or a compromised immune system from HIV or other source, I personally think it's a good idea to get the vaccine.

The H1N1 flu attacks the lungs with much more virulence than the seasonal flu. I watched a feature story from Case Hospital in Ohio. The doctor said that in the most severe cases requiring hospitalization, he's never seen so much lung damage from any previous flu. In some cases, a ventilator was insufficient to keep the patient alive. The doctor has to use a more invasive procedure to keep the patient breathing. Even that does not always work.

If you are in a chronic illness group, I think the benefit outweighs the risk.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to the latest news the H1N1 virus is mutating and getting resistant to the vaccine.[/color]

Ummm..not to be a medical dork but....re-read the article.

The virus is becoming DRUG resistant.

It doesn't say anything about VACCINE resistant.

There's a huge difference.

According to the latest news the H1N1 virus is mutating and getting resistant to the vaccine.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/11/20/2009-11-20_drugresistant_strain_of_swine_flu_appearing_worries_h1n1_virus_mutating.html[/color]

Just to be clear, it's DRUG-RESISTANT (i.e. resistant to Tamiflu), NOT resistant to the vaccine. These are two different conditions.

There's also a strain showing up in Europe that is more virulent than what's been seen.

Ummm..not to be a medical dork but....re-read the article.

The virus is becoming DRUG resistant.

It doesn't say anything about VACCINE resistant.

There's a huge difference.

Just to be clear, it's DRUG-RESISTANT (i.e. resistant to Tamiflu), NOT resistant to the vaccine. These are two different conditions.

There's also a strain showing up in Europe that is more virulent than what's been seen.

Thank you, both. I stand corrected.

Archived