Happy gay pride!

Michael Vincenzo
This topic is 5461 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The defining events that happened in the early morning hours of June 28, 1969, at the Stonewall Inn marked the start of the gay rights movement. As we approach the date commemorating the historic Stonewall riots, I wanted to send a shout out to all those who came before me that paved the way to a better life for gays, lesbians, and transgenders in the United States. For all of you who stood up for us, and those who continue to stand proudly, I am truly thankful.

I am an out and proud gay man that never allows anyone to get away with discriminating against my community or me. Although my family accepts my homosexuality, I am constantly correcting them when their intolerance bears its ugly head. I would never have the strength to do this had it not been for the many people who have worked hard to never allow us to be oppressed because of our sexual orientation.

As many cities celebrate this weekend with events and parades, I hope we do not lose sight of what Pride is all about. We are a very colorful community and we come in many shapes, sizes, and flavors (I’ve tasted a few different flavors, myself!). Remember that diversity is a good thing; what a boring world it would be if we were all the same. We should never feel ashamed, or be made to feel ashamed, of our sexual orientation or gender identity.

For those of you who are still confused, or dealing with the pings and pains of growing up gay, or living a tormented life of secrecy, I encourage you to find the strength to accept yourself for all that you are; you are no less than anyone else because of your sexual orientation or gender identity. Liberate yourself from the shackles of shame that oppression has placed on you.

In short, have a safe and wonderful weekend everyone! We are living in a great time!

I plan to attend Chicago’s Pride parade tomorrow afternoon ….. with PRIDE!

Archived