Af 447

KMEM
This topic is 4597 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am all for tongue in cheek (and elsewhere). Thanks for the explanation. Drinking, fortunately, is not a big problem for pilots but it is a serious one for the few that it affects. The FAA frowns mightily upon same, as it should.

Best regards,

KMEM

Well maybe we'll find out if the '8 hours between bottle and throttle' rule was broken, yea Kaptain?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/5/1/1304284926387/image-website-of-Frances--007.jpg

A black box flight recorder from an Air France plane that crashed off the coast of Brazil in 2009, killing 228 people, has been recovered by a deep-sea search team, reviving hopes of understanding what caused the crash.

French investigators said one of the plane's two data recorders had been located by a robot submarine about 3,900 metres (12,800ft) below the Atlantic ocean's surface.

Pictures published on the website of France's Bureau of Investigation and Analysis (BEA), before the box was pulled on to the deck of the ship Île de Sein, show an orange cylindrical object half-buried in sand.

In a statement, BEA confirmed that the device was "in good physical condition".

The discovery comes after months of start-and-stop search efforts on a 15,540 sq km (6,000 sq mile) area of sea-bed off the north-east coast of Brazil.

Investigators hope information inside the recorder – expected to include records of cockpit conversations – will settle a dispute over the cause of the crash.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the Captain wasn't even in the cockpit as this disaster started. Sounds familiar...

PARIS (AP) — The flight recorders from an Air France plane that crashed nearly two years ago show that the captain only arrived in the cockpit after the plane had begun its fateful 3 1/2-minute descent, officials said Friday.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2011-05-27-air-france-crash_n.htm

I know you are just trying to annoy me but why you continually insist upon publicly displaying your ignorance of things aeronautical by commenting upon them is beyond me.

Should they lock up the crew in the cockpit for the duration? No rest, no potty breaks? Not only would that be stupid but air regulations prohibit it. Long range flying requires augmented crews so that each member can get a rest break. Captains generally tell the others to call him if anything looks odd and this captain showed up in plenty to time to direct things, if necessary. So far, it does appear that things were beyond recovery.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we shall see who and what gets the blame but it won't be next week. Also, the French like to press criminal charges for these kinds of things, something most of the rest of the world is reluctant to do, except in extreme circumstances.

Best regards,

KMEM

And the Captain wasn't even in the cockpit as this disaster started. Sounds familiar...

PARIS (AP) — The flight recorders from an Air France plane that crashed nearly two years ago show that the captain only arrived in the cockpit after the plane had begun its fateful 3 1/2-minute descent, officials said Friday.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2011-05-27-air-france-crash_n.htm

You and I are normally on the same side on political issues Glutes.....so you know I luv you!! I have to disagree with you here however. It is not at all uncommon for the cockpit crew to take rest breaks on longhaul flights. You may be aware that I do longhaul international flights frequently.....usually on American Airlines and Continental. Just did DFW to GRU roundtrip on AA in the last 14 days. AA staffs an additional pilot on its longhaul flights (for a total of 3 cockpit crew). At any given point during the flight, other than takeoff/landing/climbout/descent, one of the three pilots will be in the first or business cabin resting. Each of them gets a 2-3 hour rest break depending on the length of the flight. There are always two qualified pilots in the cockpit at all times. So the fact that the pilot was not in the cabin on the AF447 flight is not at all unusual. The same happens on US carriers.

No this isn't a political issue, it is one of practicality and safety. Of course the 3 pilots rotate breaks on long-hauls, I am all for it.

That said, these pilots knew they were headed for some wide nasty weather, there is even some armchair quarterbacking that the flight maybe should not have been attempted.

I would want all pilots present, or most certainly the most senior/experienced at the helm as AF447 approached this weather sytem. Also there is chatter about the 'coffin corner' which I am sure our resident Captain can explain. He certainly did with PUBLIC CHARTER aircraft...

No this isn't a political issue, it is one of practicality and safety. Of course the 3 pilots rotate breaks on long-hauls, I am all for it.

That said, these pilots knew they were headed for some wide nasty weather, there is even some armchair quarterbacking that the flight maybe should not have been attempted.

I would want all pilots present, or most certainly the most senior/experienced at the helm as AF447 approached this weather sytem. Also there is chatter about the 'coffin corner' which I am sure our resident Captain can explain. He certainly did with PUBLIC CHARTER aircraft...

As per usual, gloats, you don't "get it". The real question is why do I waste my time trying to educate you?

Obviously, if any crew member "knew" they were approaching "violent" weather they would have done something to avoid it. You are pointing fingers after the fact and before the results are in. Not only not fair but counterproductive. That never seems to bother you, however.

Coffin corner has little to nothing to do with this accident. It is simply a fact of high altitude flying where the normal cruise speed is near both the stall speed of the aircraft as well as the not to exceed speed of the design. Various aircraft have a wider or narrower "envelope" between these two "numbers". The Airbus in question is average in today's airline fleet.

Best regards,

KMEM

Seriously? You have to state that you agree with the regulations?

The cockpit of the aircraft has TWO positions, what's the third guy going to do? Offer his opinion? This aircraft reported fell 10,000 feet per minute, do you really think the third guy was thinking and saying what to do fast enough for the two guys in flight positions to hear it and respond? Frankly, it's a paper tiger argument. The least experienced pilot on the plane is capable of flying the plane and handling an emergency. This was a catastrophic event - 200 pilots on the plane wouldn't have made a difference.

Glutes,

I don't know how often you travel across the equator, but the ITCZ frequently has nasty storms. this is normal. Heck, my flight from GRU to DFW Monday night flew through bad weather near the equator. Turbulence, lightening, and all that. Nothing unusual. The night AF447 went down, 15-20 other commercial flights made the journal from brazil to Europe. I dont think any of the flights reported the weather being any worse than the normal storms found in the area. I have never heard of a commercial modern aircraft flight being cancelled due to en route weather. Departure or arrival airport wearer yes....but not en route weather. Don't know what the armchair quarterbacks are talking about.

Really N'SC? When did you annoint yourself Sky King II?

Qantas Airlines was awfully lucky to have 5 pilots aboard one of their A380's when a engine blew last Novemeber. They were treated a heros that helped (imagine that!) one another...

http://atwonline.com/aircraft-engines-components/news/qantas-pilot-recalls-a380-engine-incident-raes-1210

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1335354/Qantas-A380-engine-failure-spotted-duty-pilot-using-flight-entertainment.html

Guest Rich.

OK, apart from Cunard, there's Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal, P&O, The World, etc. God-forbid, there's Disney and Atlantis. I need to know why the obsession with travelling on petrol-filled rockets?

Richard

Qantas Airlines was awfully lucky to have 5 pilots aboard one of their A380's when a engine blew last Novemeber. They were treated a heros that helped (imagine that!) one another...

http://atwonline.com/aircraft-engines-components/news/qantas-pilot-recalls-a380-engine-incident-raes-1210

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1335354/Qantas-A380-engine-failure-spotted-duty-pilot-using-flight-entertainment.html

Really, yourself. I saw nothing in the "supplied" links that indicated any thing that you claim. There was one pilot who was a passenger who looked out the window and saw some damage which he reported. Very likely something that any passenger would do. I see no reference to anyone being treated as heroes. The crew did their jobs and nothing more.

The one time that I remember when "other" crew members were aboard that provided significant help was on the UA flight that crashed at SUX aka Sioux City, IA. That was an extraordinary piece of airmanship and although there were fatalities, it was a miracle that so many survived.

Once again, gloats, you do not understand the "news" information or what it means.

What do you do for a living? I would be pleased to "interpret" that effort for you and the others who post herein.

Best regards,

KMEM

Once again, gloats, you do not understand the "news" information or what it means.

Best regards,

KMEM

Well at least don't consider your fav 'Fox' as news.

In addition to the Aviation Week report, I can reveal that the situation on the flight deck during the 45 minutes it took to land the A380 demanded the full efforts of not only the two regular pilots but also of three other pilots who, luckily, were sitting in the jump seats behind them, as both observers and as part of their training. Their performance was a feat of airmanship equal to that of Captain Sully Sullenberger’s landing on the Hudson.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-11-15/qantas-a380-emergency-landing-new-details-on-the-engine-failure/

Really N'SC? When did you annoint yourself Sky King II

What nonsense. BTW, when are you going to reveal your occupation?

I vote for lawyer, cuz when the facts are on his side he argues the facts, when they're against him, he argues with the folks.

And I don't have to be Sky King II to know that there aren't 5 jumpseats in a two man cockpit.

Jeesh, Glutes!

You are such an imaginant. One who is prone to form strange ideas.

BUT, I am not willing to be submissive. :)

A little suggested light reading:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5167H1HMAWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived