Rio in September or October

MscleLovr
This topic is 5467 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'd appreciate some help please

I've been to Rio once before, in November and the weather was great (warm, sunny and only 1 cloudy day). I stayed in Ipanema and I didn't hire any guys as I was with my (now ex-)boyfriend, a blond muscled Argentine. We stayed in an executive room at the Ipanema Plaza, and I liked the hotel and area. I insisted we visit Copacabana but I felt it was dirty and shabby, as the bf had warned me.

I speak both Spanish and French well, and he spoke some Portuguese, but we still had language difficulties at times. And I never figured out the taxis - some with their lights on had passengers in back; some with their lights off stopped to pick us up LOL

Qu 1: I'm thinking of visiting Rio in September/October and doing some hiring. I've checked the weather stats, but I wonder what experienced guys think of a trip then?

Qu 2: if I sign in a working guy as an overnight visitor, would the Ipanema Plaza be OK?

Qu 3: what sort of daily or weekly rates do guides (such as Danilo/Wellington) charge? do they sleep in the same room? and are they OK if I hire a guy?

Qu 4: how much of a "step-down" in quality would I find the Hotel Atlantico?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

First off I'd advise that you post the same thread at http://www.gaytravelbrazil.com if you have not already done so. You'll more than likely receive some current information regarding your queries.

• I, for one, can answer a few of them. The months of your impending travel are great in terms of the weather. I've been in Rio de janeiro every October since 2002- 2007, and the weather has been sunny and not overwhelmingly humid during that time. In 2006 and 2007, we did see some intermittent rain, but I have yet to experience five or more days of inclement weather. So, I'd go for it if I were you. (I plan to be there in October of this year for 10 or more days with jaunts to Buzios and Porto Alegre on two different weekends.)

• I've hired Danilo as a guide but only during my stint in Sao Paulo; he charged me a reasonable hourly rate. My good friend had him travel to Rio and serve as guide. While they were there, Danilo stayed in a smallish foyer-type room at the Hotel Atlantico Copacabana which has only a sofa-type bed and a table and chairs. He used the shower that's in the room. My friend paid Danilo by the day; purchased meals except for breakfast, and all other travel-related expenses.

• You can hire Welington through Drey at http://www.gaytravelbrazil.com and can receive

particulars via this site and the email address that is there.

• Since I have only stayed at the Atlantico Copacabana Hotel and the Royal Rio Hotel in

Copacabana, I cannot respond to your query. The Royal Rio Hotel was a beautiful

hotel; it's on par to our W Hotels. The ambience superb-- but the hotel charges if you

have company.

• I, personally, have been pleased with the offerings of the ACH. It's a 2.5 hotel but

comfortable. To vary my trek to the Avenida Atlantica which runs parallel to the beach

area for miles and miles-- I would leave the hotel, turn left and walk a few blocks, then

cross the street and walk toward the beach amongst the varying nice and quiet neigh-

borhoods.

• At other times I'd walk forward and amongst the throngs of working people

to get to the beach and other venues along the Avenida as well as a varied picture of life in Rio.

Archived