Did you see everything WATCHMEN had to offer?

jackhammer91406
This topic is 5559 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Was wondering if there was a thread I missed or did this movie not have any appeal to the guys here?

I saw it today and not only did I think the movie was pretty good (for a dark anti hero look at super heroes a la DARK NIGHT) but was pretty amazed at the full frontal male nudity throughout.

True the Dr. Manhattan character was likely CG but still, the full view of the circumsized penis shown throughout the film did get the juices flowing.

Another actor also showed full frontal during the course of a sexual scene with the lead female super hero. That actor was (I recall) the one who played the Mormon guy in ANGELS IN AMERICA.

Anyway, talked to a couple of str8 guys today who would normally eat this kind of comic superhero movie up and they all said they were staying away because of the male nudity thing. It is sad how the apprehension of the male nude in this country is not allowing for the appreciation of the male nude in this country.

Interesting but not great

I saw it earlier this week and it didn't make much of an impression. Although I enjoyed it in a low-key way, I would be reluctant to recommend it to anyone not interested in the genre. The male frontal nudity was surprising but, to me, not at all arousing - probably because it was CGI and so matter-of-fact. Nothing titillating about it.

As for the 'real flesh' nudity - I don't even remember it. :(

In fact there was a brief glimpse of a naked guy in the Andy Warhol party sequence.

I guess what I found "exciting" about the scenes with Dr Manhattan was the fact that the nudity was so casual. It struck me that the very nature of how it was done made it appear very normal. That's what "turned me on" about it.

And while the character is CG, the facial work is almost all the actor (using motion capture technology). The naturalness of how the CG penis moved when the character walked was very believable. I am sure Billy Crudup would be happy to claim the penis as his own.

I thought the CGI was very well done, too. I've heard that the casual nudity was evidence of Dr Manhattan's growing detachment from humanity - in the scenes which are earlier in linear time (vs their place in the movie) he wears a thong. I confess I didn't watch closely enought to see if this theory holds up to examination.

I did enjoy the movie, but the friend I went with checked his watch several times.

Makes me want to go back & re-read the graphic novel, of which I only remember fragments.

Watchme

HBO has a 13 minute trailer on the movie, so I checked that out, and only confirmed my instinct that this movie wasn't for me. I'm not a big sci-fi guy, and super-hero fantasies aren't a big draw either. When I want to see male nudity, I take out my picture book...Donald Duck, completeley raw!

Judging from the history of our friendship, our tastes seldom agree.

Most of the films I have written about in this forum over the years, you have hated.

So I should be a pretty good barometer for you when it comes to movies. If I liked it, you will probably not. I think it is one of the things that makes our friendship so strong......diversity of opinion.;)

Smooth Young Brown

Hey, whatever works, but that's the case with most of my friends. Occasionally things are the same, but that would be a bore if it was that way all of the time. We probably won't fight over a dancer at Dick's next month either. That's good, isn't it?

For what it's worth Dr. Manhatten giant electric blue shlong is swinging around in the graphic novel too. You can add that to the list of things the director slavishly recreated for the movie. The loyalty to the source material is big plus to the Watchmen fan boys, apparently not so much in the broader marketplace.

I liked it ....but I have never been a particular Alan Moore fanboy for what its worth

Jeff

Archived