Taboo Montreal

twinkboylover28
This topic is 6988 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

RE: Taxes, Fees and Taboo...oh my !!!

Hey Paul,

You are definitely right about Montreal drivers and I was very good and let the pedestrians have the right of way. It was a bit frustrating, but I acclamate to things quickly.

As for sophistication with giving money to homeless who may use it for drugs, well I have spent a good deal of time working with homeless and studying the problem, specifically in NYC. Your point is valid, but I choose to err on the side of charity. After all, we know that the majority of homeless are not dangerous and their drug habit only affects them. Just like with posters on this board, we all seem to have "bad" habits, but I am giving my money in the hopes that it will make their existence a bit better. If that means alcohol, then so be it. Drink and forget for a little while. If it means drugs, well that is sad too, but it is also their choice. Do I stop giving to my parish cause my priest may use the money to buy lube for some boy's ass ? Again, I have looked at this problem for so long now and I look at my intention and action and believe it is better to give than to not give. I have never had an experience where a homeless person has said, "Well I dont really get enough spare change so maybe its time to re-evaluate my life."

If sophistication is based in wisdom, this is about as wise as I can get, while also believing that Id rather be good and compassionate that wise and compassionless, any day.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I have a condo in the Gay Village and spend a fair amount of time there, I see the "homeless" kids constantly. In Quebec and Montreal, we have the highest taxes in North America. We also have a COMPLETE social safety net, NO-ONE falls through the cracks unless they choose to themselves or are too stupified to notice.

I know some guys who only use marijuana and are living off the system and they actually have a reasonable (for them) standard of living. Nothing that most of us would choose but these guys have never worked at a job a day in their lives. Despite that these guys have small apartments, food on the table, cars in some cases, and tons of leisure.

The "homeless" kids are something else. They affect an appearance to set them aside from conventional society, with multiple piercings, often though their lips, eyebrows (and God knows where else) and tatoos, sometimes covering large parts of the faces. The hair is something else! And ripped clothes. And, yes, their dogs are usually docile, well fed, and apparently well behaved (so go figure).

I do not make it a practice to give these kids money as it would be an endless task. Frankly, if I handed one of them $10,000, I don't think it would change a thing in their lives! Supporting them will just encourage more of them to live like this. I sometimes resent the fact that quite a few of these "homeless" kids come from the suburbs, where their presence is not tolerated. They gravitate to the center of town, where the taxes are higher than in the suburbs, so in the end we (the urban dwellers) are forced to support them while the citizens of the burbs wash their hands of them.

I don't know what the solution is but I noticed the new program that the mayor of San Francisco has instituted (severely reduced welfare in exchange for "care"). Maybe that is the way to go. We'll have to see. But in Montreal, the welfare mentality is very strong so I'm not holding my breath!

>Hey Paul,

>

>

>As for sophistication with giving money to homeless who may

>use it for drugs, well I have spent a good deal of time

>working with homeless and studying the problem, specifically

>in NYC. Your point is valid, but I choose to err on the side

>of charity. After all, we know that the majority of homeless

>are not dangerous and their drug habit only affects them.

If you have really worked with the homeless at all you should know that this is absolutley not true. Drug habits do not only affect the users, but they result in all sorts of petty crime, like purse snatching and B&E, etc. The Oxycontin addicts are now the most dangerous people on the street. They will do just about anything to get thier fix. It is NEVER a good adiea to feed someone's chemical additction. You are NOT doing them a favor. What you are doing is NOT charity, it is enabling. Those are two very different things, and if you are educated in Social Work, as you claim, you should know the difference.

>Just like with posters on this board, we all seem to have

>"bad" habits, but I am giving my money in the hopes that it

>will make their existence a bit better.

Well you are completely wrong. You are helping to perpetuate thier wretched lives!

If that means alcohol, then so be it. Drink and forget for a little while.

>If it means drugs, well that is sad too, but it is also their

>choice.

No actually using drugs, when someone is addicted is not a choice. Alchohol use for an active alcholic is also not a choice. They are physically addicted, and they need the fix. It is not like you or I deciding to have ice cream because it is a treat.

Do I stop giving to my parish cause my priest may use

>the money to buy lube for some boy's ass ?

Yes you should. I stopped supporting them long ago. By supporting the hypocrisy in the Church, you help to perpetuate it. You are making it possible for them to molest the next young boy. Come to your senses, please. There are many valid charities that do go work, and who could benefit from your contributions.

Again, I have

>looked at this problem for so long now and I look at my

>intention and action and believe it is better to give than to

>not give. I have never had an experience where a homeless

>person has said, "Well I dont really get enough spare change

>so maybe its time to re-evaluate my life."

You are not helping these people. You are actually being very selfish. You give up some of your loose change in order to salve your guilty conscience or try to oblitierate the helpless feeling that you may have by viewing these folks up close. If you really wanted to do charity, you would write a big check to a charity who actually does some good for the homeless and runaways and drug addicted young people. I suggest that you take a look at the work done at Covenant House in NYC. Now these folks are REALY dealing with the problems, and they are really doing some good. Throwing change at a homeless person or a drug addict is so condescending on your part.

>

>If sophistication is based in wisdom, this is about as wise as

>I can get, while also believing that Id rather be good and

>compassionate that wise and compassionless, any day.

You are neither being good nor compassionate. You are being selfish, self-serving and ignorant. You are adding to the problem rather than doing anything to solve it. Either do nothing, as most folks do, or do some good. Don't add to the problem.

I find it hard to beleive that you have a degree in Social Work and you missed all of the information on addiction. You may mean well, but on this issue, you are completely off base.

I am sorry to be so harsh, but I feel strongly on this issue. Your posts on this board indicate that you may be a nice guy, but your naivite is scary and dangerous. It's kind of like Gomer Pyle finds M4M.

Wow,

Very interesting response...Im not doing any of it to ease my conscience...I also have a long history in social service so lets just say that a lot of your statements are just not in line with what I have seen and studied...anyone who does Midnight Run or works with Covenant House (I did in college and yes many of the employees gave change to homeless...) will see what I mean.

BTW I feel strongly about the subject too, thats why I choose the career I did

Also, Im sure that the homeless will do lapdances if ya ask nicely and tip them

Archived