Laptop for overseas

PacNW
This topic is 6988 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm in the market soon to buy my first laptop, moving up from a PC, in large part because I expect to be travelling extensively abroad. Likeliest region at this point being Asia. Is there anything out of the ordinary, hardware and/or software, I should be shopping for to make basic computer use/internet access easier outside of the US?

Guest ChgoBoy

>I'm in the market soon to buy my first laptop, moving up from

>a PC, in large part because I expect to be travelling

>extensively abroad. Likeliest region at this point being Asia.

>Is there anything out of the ordinary, hardware and/or

>software, I should be shopping for to make basic computer

>use/internet access easier outside of the US?

Not that I can think of. The good news is that if you have problems with your new laptop, you wont have to call the 800 number for tech support. You can just call a local number is Asia, seeing that's where all the 800 numbers route too....

>I'm in the market soon to buy my first laptop, moving up from

>a PC, in large part because I expect to be travelling

>extensively abroad. Likeliest region at this point being Asia.

>Is there anything out of the ordinary, hardware and/or

>software, I should be shopping for to make basic computer

>use/internet access easier outside of the US?

Will you be traveling between the US and Asia regularly? How about travel within the region? Distances within Asia are, well, vast. You may want to use your laptop on aircraft. Investigate airlines and pick out a laptop that has the necessary adapters for use on board aircraft. Note: An aircraft laptop power adapter does *NOT* use the cigarette lighter plug you find in the North American market. I do not know if all airlines use the same power adapter or not.

Definitely a feature I found worthwhile when doing the Asia commute a few years back.

--EBG

I would expect connectivity to be the most important for you so built in ethernet and modem are recommended. Also not only adapters for the plane but adapters for the power and sometimes the telephone lines are important. Depending on the hotel you can often rent or borrow, but best to have your own. As far as the computer itself I've had better luck getting PCs to work with in hotel high speed connections, but then I've been using PC's. Two guys I've travelled with with Apples have had issues, but I don't know whether its them or their computers.

I use my Apple both in Brazil and the U.S. without major problems. Most Apple laptops are already bi-voltage, so you don't need to worry about power adapters -- you can just plug in the computer (or charger) wherever you are without worry. Be absolutely SURE before you buy, however, that the model you're interested in is bi-voltage. All Apples used to be, but I think I read recently that they may now be making some that aren't.

Even if your Apple is bi-voltage, you'll need an appropriate plug adapter for the country you're visiting. You also may need special adapters to be able to plug in your laptop in-flight, as another poster noted. You should be able to get these at Apple dealers, big computer stores, on-line, or in shops that specialize in travel goods. Standard plug adapters for most countries are available in the U.S., but some countries have weird plugs all of their own, so you'll have to buy an adapter there. Your hotel's front desk should also be able to lend you an adapter that works in that country.

Otherwise, connecting with Apple is pretty much the same as with a PC. You may have problems browsing some international websites with an Apple -- Windows is totally dominant in many countries outside the U.S. and website developers there forget that their creations may be viewed by someone who doesn't use a PC. The upshot is that they don't test to be sure their sites are universally viewable/usable, and if you try accessing them on an Apple you'll get garble or important features, usually Java-based, just won't work (like the ability to enter a password). However, if you're mainly going to be connecting back to U.S. webpages, or just working on your own documents and spreadsheets, this isn't a big concern.

RE: Laptop for overseas - Battery Option

A good point was made earlier about flights and power adapters. However, you may not always be on an aircraft or train with a power adapter.

http://www.valence.com/

makes an add on product compatible with most laptops when you purchase the correct cable. It adds an additional 5-8 hours of battery time, and can also charge your other devices.

I have used one for several years and love it. Allows multiple DVD's per flight!

They are available at most electronic stores or online retailers such as CDW.

Archived