What's going on with the Message Center?

Guest ncm2169
This topic is 7369 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest ncm2169

Hey, what's with the intermittant inaccessibility to the Message Center for what seems like well over a month now? (Like several times today and tonight). I've been a daily visitor here for 3 years, and I can't recall a similar problem for this duration. Is this yet another glitch due to the difficulty in mastering Nightmare Weaver?

And before the usual sycophants in the Amen Corner start lecturing me about the site being free, YES, I know that, and NO, I'm not complaining, just inquiring. :o

I've noticed the same problems. In addition, it's not correctly tracking messages I've already read and is not putting posts in order. For example, I replied to one post and it appeared as the first reply the bumped older responses below mine.

Perhaps this is better placed in "Daddy's" area. But, I did want to indicate that it's not a problem on your end. Others are experiencing it also.

I don't know what the problems are.

However, whatever they are, they don't have anything to do with Dreamweaver; that's an HTML editor that HB is evidently using now to maintain the main part of the site.

The Message Center is run by a separate program and is also, I believe, on a separate server.

If I were a betting man, I bet the problems were related to either (a) server problems (hardware and/or software) on the Message Center server; or (b) ISP-related connection problems.

BG

Daddy,

I have noticed some intermittency too, but not very often. Only in the past few days. Occasionally I get a message that the server can't be found or some other error message.

However, there is another problem, that only arose tonight, sometime after 6PM. The clock seems to have gone haywire, and it is putting crazy time stamps on messages, which is also causing the most recently updated thread NOT to be at the top of the stack in most forums.

This is not a 1-hour difference that could be explained by the switch to Daylight Savings Time, though it may well have arisen in connection with that if someone was trying to adjust the time manually and got it screwed up instead. The clock at various times (in my experience) has been as little as 6-7 hours slow (behind) and as much as 11-12 hours slow (behind). That's as measured by comparing the time stamp on a post against the real time when it was posted. Earlier today the clock was right, and now things that are being posted later geet filed below instead of above because of the large discrepancy in time. I would understand it better if it were always off by the same amount of time, but it's not. The discrepancy has been varying between 6-7 hours and 11-12 hours slow, and probably in between too.

For example:

The post I just made above bears the date/time stamp Sunday April 4 6:02PM

In fact, it was posted on Monday April 5 at 1:47AM.

So the clock at the moment is 7 hours and 45 minutes slow. But it was over 11 hours slow at one point earlier.

I was having some problems last night with the Marking system. Of course, since it was me having the problems, we really don't know if it was a system problem or me. However, I have really come to depend on the wonderful new feature where I can Mark each section separately and don't have to just mark or not mark the whole dang thang at once. But last night I couldn't get the individual sections to mark. This morning I can. Another intermittent thingy?

Archived