HTML Question for Windows IE

Rod Hagen
This topic is 7736 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest bottomboykk

I'm not sure which "bar" you're referring to. One "bar" that appears is the alt tag, which is not just and IE event. It's there (these days) primarily to label the image for screen readers.

Or are you referring to the bar that appears only in IE 6 that has four icons across it (save, print, send in e-mail, and view My Pictures folder)? If so, I gather you're trying to stop people from saving pics on your site? I know there's code out there to disable that. I'll try to locate it.

That's called the Image Toolbar.

You can disable it in individual documents with this Meta tag in the <HEAD> section:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="imagetoolbar" CONTENT="no">

I take it you've already got right-click disabled, eh? :)

Disable Image Copying

>

>I take it you've already got right-click disabled, eh? :)

This is something that we are working on for my own web site and I know there are a number of ways around it. You need to be aware that Internet Explorer for Mac (which I presume you use, either in the 10 or Jaguar version) is slightly different and does things differently than IE for Windows XP, 2000 or 98. In addition, the various versions of Netcape currently in use, as well as other browsers, like Opera, also handle thing differently.

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer about technical stuff but when I have found a picture I really like, I have been able to save it one way or another. Afterwards, when discussing what I did with the two Techno Geek Twinks, they explained why it was so. I know this does not help you much but I just wanted you (and others) to be aware if this is really a major issue for them.

RE: Disable Image Copying

That's a good point, Franco.

You can disable rightclick, you can turn off the image toolbar, but the only way to totally keep people from getting pictures is not to post them. At the very least, once they're viewed they exist in the cache and can be retrieved from there.

But disabling the "usual suspects" is generally enough to stop the average "collectors".

Archived