used computer with mind of it's own

Guest Rob007
This topic is 8092 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Rob007

I just purchased a used laptop.

When typing e-mail and word documents the cursor is jumping up about three lines in the middle of typing. I'm not sure what's going on with it. Its driving me crazy (it just did it when I typed crazy but it did not do it this time I typed it???)

Anyone know what's up with this poltergeist computer???? I installed Norton AV and did a scan and nothing came up...

Thanks

Rob

>I just purchased a used laptop.

>

>When typing e-mail and word documents the cursor is jumping

>up about three lines in the middle of typing. I'm not sure

>what's going on with it. Its driving me crazy (it just did

>it when I typed crazy but it did not do it this time I typed

>it???)

>

>Anyone know what's up with this poltergeist computer???? I

>installed Norton AV and did a scan and nothing came up...

>

>Thanks

>Rob

If you have a touchpad, try typing without resting your palms on the laptop -- using only fingertips to type. If the cursor doesn't flop around, then you know what the problem is. The solution:

Select START / CONTROL PANEL / MOUSE and change the TOUCHPAD settings to least sensitive you can.

If after changing the TOUCHPAD settings to their max, the cursor still flops around or if it flops around with only your fingertips touching the keyboard my guess is that you've got a bad computer.

But I am not a techie nor am I an expert by any means. Its just that I had this problem in the past. I sent my computer back to the factory.

If yours was a new DELL, you would be able to send it back. :o

Sign the man up for a tech support job. ;-)

On many of the cheaper notebooks (and some of the top-of-the-line) you can tap the wrist-rest and inch or so away from the touchpad and cause a mouse click -- wherever that mouse pointer may be, even in another application.

Guest Rob007

Thanks for the help

I had to download and install the touchpad drivers before I could adjust the sensitivty.

That appears to have solved the problem. I've been typing all afternoon with no problems.....

You would think they could load the drivers on the computer before they send it out.....:

Rob-)

Archived