AOL 7.0

BewareofNick
This topic is 8126 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

>Why would you want to have anything to do with AOL in any

>case?

I agree with you, my fellow Canuck! Now we know what AOL truly stands for: American Off Line! }>

JT

Because it works... :-)

Because it's stable. It works. It's always available. There are local numbers absolutely anyplace I have ever needed them (and that's from a VERY frequent traveller). Because half of the people I know, at least, maintain AOL accounts and many of my friends and colleagues and family members use AOL buddy lists extensively, to say hi and to chat. Because it's so easy that even my mother (who is not young, to say the least) can use it and loves to IM her son so she can make sure he's still ok after yet another plane ride.

Because I've used it for years and years and years and changing would be a pain in the neck. Because it does everything I want it to do and doesn't do anything I don't want it to do. Because it doesn't put any constraints on my use of those other Internet tools (like Internet Explorer) that I choose to use for various applications.

As someone who has been involved in the construction of software for more than thirty years, I find it amusing that so many people like to put down AOL. It's simply a tool and it meets enough of the Internet-related needs of tens of millions of people that they are willing to continue paying for it every month.

It's easy to find other ISP's. If people were dissatisfied, they'd change. But AOL is simply a tool. And it does a good job of doing what it claims it will do.

Some claim that people who use AOL do it because they are uneducated or unwise. I think that is foolish and arrogant. There are many of us who use it for reasons that are perfectly clear and perfectly valid -- to us. And, for me at least, I only care if I am satisfied with the tools I use.

Guest Vegasboy Dave

Hey Boston Guy

You will need AOL to install those files and it might do it about 2-3 times before it has done it, but it has to have those files for some new remote software they are trying out on there, I have been a Beta Tester for AOL for as long as they have been going and I know the darn stuff that I have been thru with them.. So hope you get that fixed and back online again..

Guest Kevin 2

Well said Boston Guy! There are a few of us who CHOOSE to keep AOL because we actually like it. I have tried other ISP's and always come back to AOL. The only place that I went that didn't have an AOL local dial up number was P-Town!

PS..I never upgrade when the newer versions of AOL come out, I wait and let them find all the bugs first.

AOL 7.0 works as well as any version of AOL. The differences between 6.0 and 7.0 are few. Therefore if you are having problems downloading the upgrade you might want to wait till the GM is released on CD-ROM.

There have been so many ISPs and OSPs come and go during the past 15 years. There are only a small group of ISPs left as many of disappeared through mergers, acquisition or simply have gone out of business. AOL has created a genuine brand name, for itself, that consumers seek not unlike Burger King or McDonalds.

I maintain an AOL account and connect with their BYOA plan. For 10.00 per month the service is beneficial.

Cheers! Ritchie

I'm still having problems with AOL 6.0. Half the time I try to sign off, it won't let me go and it won't time out. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't always work either. Also, I get booted off whenever I try to change screennames. There's no way I'm installing 7.0.

I never had this problem with 5.0. Too bad I uninstalled it after I installed 6.0.

Anyone still have a CD-ROM with 5.0?

• 3 weeks later...

I finally decided to call AOL and ask for their assistance. In teh end, after being unable to fix the problem, the AOL Tech told me to wait a few months and then try the download. Apparently, I am not the only one with this problem and to wuote the tech, "7.0 is not very popular around here"

BofN:

First, Merry Christmas!

Second, I downloaded AOL 7.0 a couple of weeks ago. It installed correctly the first time and I've been using it ever since. I kept the contents of the AOL 6.0 directory untouched for a while, in case things didn't work out with 7.0. But it's been stable and I think it's an improvment over 6.0, although the changes are certainly evolutionary, not revolutionary.

I'm not sure why it didn't work for you, though. If you can delete all evidence of 7 from your PC, you might try it again. Perhaps they've fixed the download.

BG

• 3 weeks later...

I've gotten it working now, but I kept having a problem with the error "A Network Cable is unplugged". If you check the DSL message board on AOL, you wills ee that it is a very common problem that they have not been able to fix. I did find a solution to it however.

It usually takes about 10 minutes before this error occurs and it takes you offline. After I sign on, I launch an internet radio station (either Real Radio 104.1 in Orlando or 99x in Atlanta) and the constant stream of data keeps the DSL modem on and the unplugged error occurs rarely if at all.

• 1 month later...
Guest Tristan

I am still using AOL 6.0. As previously mentioned, it is always good to wait until AOL works out the bugs on a new release. If you want to upgrade to AOL V7.0, try to get a copy of the CD from AOL or any Gateway Country Store. The CDs are free. It is always safer to use the CD than download a very large piece of software.

Archived