Viewing updated website

ted
This topic is 8426 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Since I really don't quite understand exactly how the web works, my question is can a website update be seen by some users sooner than others. I've noticed on another website that posters make comments about an update, but I can't view it at that time, later I check back and I can. This morning same thing happened here. The first time I signed on someone had posted a comment about Brett Silvers comments on todays review site, but when I clicked on newest reviews Fridays kept coming up, even after several attempts and dumping history and temps. When I signed back on several hours later, Saturdays reviews came right up with Brett's comments. BTW I'm on AOL with IE as my browser if that makes a difference.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-01 AT 04:43PM (EST)[p]This isn't only an AOL problem. Internet Explorer also caches web pages for faster response when returning to a page. To avoid seeing an old (cached) version of a page:

1) Click on the "Tools" Menu.

2) Select "Internet Options."

3) Click on the "General" tab.

4) In the "Temporary Internet Files" section of the window, click on "Settings."

5) Select "Check for newer versions of stored pages every time you visit the page."

This slows down performance somewhat. I prefer the "check for newer versions of stored pages every time you start Internet Explorer" option. This seems to be a reasonable compromise with browsing speed.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest maturemiami

There are often multiple ways to accomplish the same thing, and thats true here. Whenever you see an outdated page, its because your computer brought up the page as you last saw it (thats one reason your 'puter keeps track of your history, so it can more quickly pop up the page you last saw, provided that wasnt too long ago). Even if you set your file to hold history for only one day, you might get a page made in the morning rather than a later one the same day. If any doubt, just click the "Reload" button or tool, usually a circular arrow up near your Back/Forward/Stop keys, and that makes it go out to the site and get the true current version. You can trust this 100% of the time. A few sites will ask if you want an email notification when they update their pages, usually with a website link in the email you get. That can be handy too.

Archived