Montreal Street Scene: comments and questions

eeyore
This topic is 7373 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On Sunday evening in Montreal after dinner I did something that I know is going to get me a scolding: I picked up a street hustler, or rather he picked me up. I had just exited from Le Club Sandwichon Ste. Catherine (nice little place to eat) and was walking back to my hotel, minding my own business. My mind was thinking about something completely else right then; I really wasn't looking around or being obvious, or even paying much attention to my surroundings or being much aware. Out of nowhere appears this very attractive young man (who happened to be exactly my type) asking if I would like some company (for $40 of course). Now I HAVE done a little homework and studying, enough to know that this is not the best thing in the world to be doing. But he was a very straightforward, honest looking, clean-cut, boy-next-door type. It didn't help matters that he had beautiful (clear) eyes and beautiful dark silky blond hair under his winter cap. I was so stunned (as I said my mind was in another place at the time), I didn't know what to do. I told him point blank about my reservations about hiring a street boy. He answered all my questions directly and honestly. I play a lot of poker as an avocation so I have developed at least a rudimentary sense for reading people and situations on the fly. So I decided to go ahead gamble with this hand I was just dealt (admittedly a drawing hand at best but one with decent payoff potential) and took him back to my hotel. Fast forward: it turned out to be a wonderful time. And at no point during the encounter did I feel threatened or afraid for my person. I felt like offering more than the agreed upon sum if we could relax and just enjoy each others company for a while longer (he was pleasant to talk to), but I thought it over carefully and decided it was best to stick to the original plan and simply settle for a quickie.

Question for all you veterans out there: I certainly know that picking up a street hustler is not exactly a safe thing to do. I was wondering if my favorable experience with doing this in Montreal was simply a statistical aberration, or is the Montreal street scene generally more favorable and safer than in other locations. I certainly don't plan on making this thing a habit, and I certainly was not going out of my way to explore it (it just fell in my lap), but I was wondering if others have had similar favorable (safe) experiences with the Montreal street trade.

Naive in Vermont

Archived