Your opinion please

snoopy
This topic is 6256 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've been getting massages fairly regularly for the past 6 years.

I travel to NYC on average 3-4 times a year. (I live 4 hours from NYC by train.) About a year and a half ago I discovered a great guy on Massagem4m in NYC and have seen him 4 times. Last week I was in NYC for an overnight which I planned specifically to see this guy for a very long overdue massage. When I arrived at his place at the appointed time he was apologetic and said he could not see me because he had maintenance men coming by to do work. He said he could not call me to cancel because he had deleted my message.

Needless to say, I was not happy, but what could I do. I left and fumed for the next day. He has always seemed very professional, but this really threw me. Wouldn't he keep a date book? A list of regular clients names and numbers? Phone bills with phone numbers? I think there were many things he could have done to tell me the session was cancelled. What is your opinion or read on this experience?

I think it was a mistake on his part not to keep the number until the session was completed. Yet 4 out of 5 times you have been happy with him, so maybe you can cut him some slack on this one. His make it up to you session could be quite fun!

Most of the clients on this site would probably fume if he did keep a listing of regular clients and their contact information. Massage is a bit of a different story (unless it is an erotic massage). Nothing wrong with police or blackmailers breaking in and stealing such a listing if what you are doing is strictly legitimate.

Yet I still must agree that he should have kept some contact info until after your appointment. At which time he should probably discard it and wait til you give it to him again. At least for the first (fill in your favorite length of time here).

Since you traveled a distance and for some hours, I think I would have fumed but perhaps attempted to make contact with another masseur from http://www.massagem4m.com which has an abundance of masseurs in NYC and many with innumerable positive and enticing reviews.

I've seen about six or seven masseurs in San Francisco and have settled on two to see as frequently as possible. My last massage was given by an excellent masseur in Santa Cruz; I've settled on him now, too, for my massages if I don't care to drive to "The City" which is some two hours from where I live.

...sorry to hear about your acute disappointment! Hope you use my suggestion. Axiom

Some masseurs take their business, and their client base, very seriously and others are real flakes! It doesn't take much to keep track of clients and their contact info, so this guy must not care very much. I am always amazed at masseurs that don't respond to requests for appointments.

I'd fume, too, if I had traveled all the way to his place only to get a brush-off. He owes you one - big time. Seriously, if you decided to book with him again, tell him your disappointment and see if he'll discount the next massge or throw in an extra 30 minutes...free! If not, find another masseur.

I had a similar experience several years ago with Chelsea masseur. I booked two appointments, in advance, two weeks apart. The first went as planned and I reminded him I would see him again in two weeks when i left. When I showed up for the second appointment he already had another client booked in my slot. It took him three days to call me and offer an explanation. By that time I had had it and he was no longer on my list of preferred masseurs. To add insult to injury, he never really apologized or made any effort to make up for his poor business habits. He claimed he had trouble syncing his Blackberry to his computer.

My regular therapist screwed up an appointment once and he immediately called me, apologized profusely, and then offered me my next massage at 50% off. He has never again screwed up. Great guy, great massage!

Guest josephga

Being a massage therapist myself I can say its not very difficult keeping up with bookings. in 9 years and over 5000 clients iv never screwed up, nor canceled a booking. I keep a yearly planner every clients name number and for advertising tracking where they saw my ad. About once a week I'll get a caller not wanting to provide a contact number with the same story every time about wanting to be discreet. these same people not wanting to provide a number expect me to trust them in my home. they don't want discreet they want anonymous and i gladly pass on them as clients...

Archived