Thailand Changes

Lucky
This topic is 5934 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It had been 12 years since I visited Thailand, and this was my 12th visit. The city had grown considerably as the economy improved. Until now, I had never seen the SkyTrain.

One new thing I noticed were all the foot massage parlors. They were everywhere, and popular from morning to night. For less than $8, you could get your feet worked on for an hour. Such a deal.

In my early travels there, the express river boat in Bangkok was unknown to most tourists, and I often rode it with many Thais and lots of monks. Then it was called the Chao Praya Express River Boat. Now it is called the Chao Pray Express Tourist Boat, even though the old name remained on the boat, and comes with an English speaking guide to narrate the ride. Most riders were tourists.

Almost every taxi driver tried to take us somewhere other than where we wanted to go, or tried to forego the meter and charge a flat, higher fare. That was nothing new!

In Pattaya, on the third floor of the Royal Garden Mall, there is a salon that offers a one-hour facial for $14. Definitely worth it as the same thing in New York would cost about $75. We took a taxi out to the Balcony restaurant there, only to be the only customers. How do they stay in business? I was there when they opened 17 years ago.

As expressed in previous threads, I have visited Thailand at three different times, visiting the usual places plus a few different areas on my last trip in 2005/2006. When I read Lucky's impressions, a few triggers rose in me.

In 2005/06 I took the sky train innumerable times and felt rather comfortable although I don't speak a word of Thai. When I got lost while transferring from one area to another, I merely asked someone; in 8-10 cases, the person directed me correctly in Ingles.

I took taxis all over the place and encountered two bad experiences. One night I hailed a tuk tuk to be taken to the B & N massage parlor; I had a desire to see Noom again. Well, the "fucker" drove me and let me out for another tuk tuk. I thought I was being scammed, so I got out, paid my inflated rate, and went on my merry way. I was indeed upset because I was in need of Noom's expertise.

Because this area had far many people in it that was mind boggling and overwhelming for me, I went to an upscale mall and had dinner; then I think I returned to my hotel. I don't remember what followed after this.

----------------

On this same visit, I noticed that the English language was quite prevalent everywhere on sign posts, in ads, etc. I felt comfortable.

While in the various sois-- I walked and walked, esp. if these places were very gay friendly.

----------------

Thanks, Lucky, for being willing to write about your impressions and experiences and share them with us here at this site and forum.

Over the four years that I have been going to Thailand costs have generally been rising. But, certainly not at the rate we are experiencing in the US. One thing that has not risen is the rate of Taxis. Just be sure to get them to use the meter or get out. I have found most of the drivers will activate the meter when you point to it. Food is incredibly cheap. Especially at the out door/street stalls. I have no qualms about eating food from them and have never had a bad experience.

Chiang Mai and other smaller cities are much cheaper than Bangkok. If you are just after sex then either Bangkok or Pattaya are still your spots. I've onlly been there once and will never go to again. Just don't like the place.

On the whole, Thailand is a wonderful place and I'm considering moving there.

the Cajun

Guest icon513

There is currently talk of an increase in taxi fares. Currently, the rates are exactly the same as when metered taxis were first introduced, about 17 or 18 years ago. Remember when you had to bargain for your taxi fare? I do!

Yes, I do. I was also there when meters were introduced and it was very hard to get the driver to use them.

I learned the value of the meter soon enough when I went out to the suburbs for a bodybuidling contest. On the return, the driver actually used the meter, and the fare back was less than half the fare out there.

With rising gas prices, fare hikes are inevitable.

With the Sky Train one no longer has to pay a taxi out to the Weekend Market. Sadly, though, the money I saved there was lost when my wallet was taken by a pickpocket!

I guess I haven't been going long enough to notice too many changes. I have been to Thailand each of the last two years and will be back again later this year.

I have never had too much trouble with taxis. The only time I have had an issue was after an evening at Soi Twilight and I wanted to catch a cab back to the hotel. The drivers were there to gouge the farang sex tourists I suppose. :-) They wanted Bt100 for a trip that should cost 40 at that time of day. So I just close the door and start walking. I found that it was easier to get an honest cab on Silom than on Suriwong unless you walk down past Tarntawan and can flag down a moving cab rather than one that is parked at the curb.

In general I prefer to take the SkyTrain or subway when I can, but after it closes you either take a taxi or walk. I find that when I have a Thai guide with me there is never a problem, but sometimes a driver will not want to take us where we want to go either because they don't know how to get there or because their shift is ending soon. I used taxis on my own a lot more this past year than the year before. Most don't speak a whole lot of English and it helped that I knew enough Thai to direct them at times. But one guy spoke perfect English and spent most of the trip quizzing me about why I came to Thailand and how much it cost me to go there. I was feeling ill at the time and just wanted to get back to the hotel.

Taxis are a huge bargain but I have wondered how so many of them can possibly make a living. A modest increase would be fine, but raise fares too much and the locals won't be able to afford them.

One nice thing about taking the train or subway is that there is lots of cute eye candy to make the trip enjoyable.

I think I had a harder time dealing with the pollution in BKK last year than I did the year before.

Anoother problem I noted with taxis is a couple of them refusing to give change. This happened once in Vietnam too. "Tip" for me, he claimed.

This also happened at the night market stalls. You'd spend a lot of time negotiating the price, pay with a larger bill, and no change! After all that negotiation, he wanted a tip too! That happened three times.

All in all, the amounts were small, but probably added up for him as he did it all day long.

Another thing to be aware of with taxis is travelling from Bangkok to Pattaya and back. The going rate Bangkok to Pattaya is 1200 Baht and 800 Baht for the return – taxi on the way back are usually empty and easy to get …but watch for your taxi driver to pull a stunt!!

Last November I hired a taxi to return from Pattaya to Bangkok (after a elightful evening in Boystown) from an agency (there are tons on the streets of Pattaya) for 800 Baht. I paid the agent 300 Baht and I was supposed to pay the taxi driver the remaining 500 Baht on my return to my hotel. Luckily I asked for a receipt spelling all this out including a name and cell phone number for the agency.

On my return to Bangkok at 2am the taxi driver demanded 1400 Baht saying that the fare was 1200 Baht plus 200 Baht extra for the late night rental. I pulled out the receipt and asked the concierge to call the police – lo and behold the taxi driver knew I was serious and sheepishly took the 500 Baht and left…

So be sure to get a receipt for all rentals paid in advance!!

RickinOC

:-)

Archived