Tartawan Hotel in Bangkok!!!

Axiom2001
This topic is 6623 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

To those guys who haven't decided where to stay while in Bangkok, I would highly recommend the Tartawan Hotel.

Last week I had the pleasure and the joy of being housed there; the rates were quite reasonable; the personnel immensely accommodating to all of your needs, including making sure that you were SAFE and all right after any of your guests left. Your guests are permitted to dine with you at breakfast and without a charge. I found this lodging to have been a very quiet place and nicely appointed.

Free internet service was provided for up to 20 minute intervals.

-- The Tartawan Hotel had a great location, was within walking distance of Sois 2 3 and 4 and around the corner from the Tawan Club ( a place which I found "disappointingly tired" in many respects, and a few steps down this particular soi was Mango Restaurant (a great restaurant serving delicious Thai food and possessing a wonderful ambiance).

All in all whenever I return to Bkk, I do plan to book myself into this hotel. I could not have a more reasonably priced hotel! :-) :-) :-)

Guest icon513

And I would really, really advise you look somewhere else. I've stayed at the Tarntawan, too, and found it grossly overpriced, drab, and depressing. Plus there is no pool.

While I certainly didn't find the Tarntawan drab or depressing, I do think it is a bit overpriced for what you get, but in Thailand that still means quite inexpensive by US standards. I do think that it's a pretty good choice for the first time gay visitor to Bangkok - very well situated for walking to the gay bars in the Silom area. The place has many regulars, but many frequent gay tourists eventually find other hotels more to their liking. A Tarntawan bonus is that this is the only Thai hotel I've come across where the included breakfast (if you book a double you also get a breakfast ticket for your "guest" of the night) can be eaten at any hour the restaurant is open. Most hotels with inclusive breakfast cut off the breadfast at 10am, much too early for many who like to enjoy the nightlife as well.

As for the Mango restaurant (did they change the name from Mango Tree?), I loved it when I first visited back in 1999. But last time I ate there was about two years ago after the place had been taken over by the Coca restaurant chain and the Thai food was without a doubt the worst I've ever had in Thailand OR the US. That evening the restaurant was also busy with a large contingent of drunk Japanese businessmen so the kitchen may have been overstressed, but I doubt that I could ever convince my Thai friend to visit again.

Edit: Actually, I'd be grateul if icon513 could suggest a couple of Bangkok hotels that he thinks are good values. I've yet to find a Bangkok hotel that completely satisfies. The closest has been the Karnmanee Palace, but its Saphan Kwai location is a bit out of the way if one is interested in spending a couple of weekend evenings in Silom.

Prior to my staying at the Tartawan-- I spent eight days at the Montien, another very fine hotel which is located not too far away from the Tartawan. A very sumptuous breakfast was served each day, and when I did off a guy from Dreamboys, he and I entered through the side door nearest the restaurant and took an elevator; one of their "guards" was near the entrance way but didn't say anything to my visitor regarding leaving an ID and checking in via the front desk, so I do not know the hotel's real policy regarding outside guests.

Awhile back Totally Oz mentioned that he'd stayed at the Intercontinental and how positive his stays were. Perhaps you could check the archives here where other hotels have been suggested; I'm not saying that we should NOT hear from the individual alluded to in your response here!

The Mango Tree is still named as such; on the night that I was there with my expat friend who has lived in Bkk since 1999, he discussed the merits of taking me there as well as the camera display that prevails at this venue. My friend and I were asked to leave an evaluation; we did, and most of the checks that the restaurant and its employees received centered around the area of "good"-- but we did rate the service as needing a bit of improvement; our waitpersons were a little too slow for us....

Guest icon513

My recommendation for hotel would depend a lot on what kind of deals are being offered. The Sofitel Silom, for example, is also within walking distance of the Patpong action and can often be had for around the same or not much more than the Tarntawan. It is a good three stars above the Tarntawan, though. They've got a branch of the Parisian patisserie Le Notre in the lobby, a happening wine bar, Chinese dimsum place with incredible views, and a lap pool on the roof.

The Mango Tree is purely a tourist restaurant. I'll give some restaurant recommendations when I have more time on my hands. I've lived in Thailand for nearly 17 years, by the way.

Thanks, gentlemen, but please, I'm not trying to start any arguments here. I knew that icon513 has lived in Bangkok for quite some time and thought he should be in a good position to have heard about some of the better hotel bargains in the Silom area. I was aware that the Mango Tree was geared to tourists - what downtown restaurant with a traditional Thai music group isn't? - but when I first went there it was a tourist restaurant with GOOD food.:-)

• 1 month later...

I stayed at the Siam Heritage just over a year ago. It is nicely decorated,I paid for a front facing room which was light and bright,many rooms (like the Tarntawan)would face on to a brick wall.I got the impression that they were still getting their act together and the service was spotty. My toilet overflowed twice flooding the bathroom (this in a new hotel)and the key card to my room failed a couple of times and they were rather slow in rectifying the problem. The air conditioning was very noisy and the breakfast just OK. The English language skills of the staff were below average. I was there during the tsunami (which as it turned out did not effect Bangkok)and my mother who rang out of concern had to ring twice before a message was passed on. I would not stay there again. I felt I needed a change from the Tarntawan where I have stayed many times, which despite the service I was starting to find rather tired. I believe it has recently been renovated, not a minute before time. I hope this helps.

It looks as if The Malaysia Hotel has cleaned up its act!! I stayed at this place when I was on a tour with 20 gay men in 1994; the hotel was a dump, horrible in many respects. There was even a "cat" fight in the cafe one morning during breakfast. But in seeing the pictures and hearing from the kjun, I am elated that the rooms have been spruced up and that some of our cyberfriends feel comfortable here.

But, whenever I return to Bkk, I'll probably stay at the Tartawan per the preceding reasons in the initial thread. :-)

Ax, I just love Thailand and those Thai boys. Granted, their love can only be rented but isn't that what we're about. Whether your cup of tea be Tartawan (I've stayed there)or Malaysia it is fun. Next Wednesday I leave for there and I'm just pissing in my pants waiting for the day.:9

the Cajun

>"I'm just pissing in my pants waiting for the day"

>

>That won't be a worry when you get there as you will sweat it

>all out first! I was in Thailand once during the "hot"

>season...that was enough for me.

:-) The best time to go to Thailand (weatherwise) is between November and March/early April. I had the good fortune in being in the "Land of Smiles" in December 2005 through January 2006; the weather was indeed superb. Although it did get in the 80s on some days, the humidity was palapable.

I expressed the desire to return with the intention of living for a while; my good friend who's lived in Bkk for almost a decade emailed me and stated that I should visit the country during other seasons: that way I will be able to make a definitive decision! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

The JW Marriott on Sukhumvit is one that I would recommend. Easy to get a good rate on Priceline - typically $70-$80 - no hassles with overnight guests either.

For culinary delights at very reasonable prices I would recommend "Anna's Place" in Saladaeng - plus the waiters are very cute.

Rickinoc

Archived