Best time to go to Thailand?

HardnThick
This topic is 6796 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Can someone please explain the Thailand seasons (rainy, high/expensive, low/less expensive)? Are there still enough boys in low season? How much do prices change?

If I take Singapore Airlines, is it worth spending a few days in Singapore, or just move on to Thailand?

Should I make hotel reservations from USA for both Bangkok and Pataya or make other-than-Bangkok arrangements once I’m there?

And….are things less playful after the government’s efforts to eliminate the sex trade?

Thanks, guys!

>Can someone please explain the Thailand seasons (rainy,

>high/expensive, low/less expensive)

Approximately:

Dry: mid-November to mid-March

Hot: mid-March to mid-June

Rainy: mid-June to mid-November

Highest prices are during the dry season, as well as in August (coinciding with the seasonal influx of Europeans).

>Are there still enough

>boys in low season?

Absolutely. The boys don't go anywhere.

>How much do prices change?

If prices change, it is only for hotels. Some hotels do not change price at all. Amount of change varies.

>If I take Singapore Airlines, is it worth spending a few days

>in Singapore, or just move on to Thailand?

I think Singapore is worth a couple of days, yes.

>Should I make hotel reservations from USA for both Bangkok and

>Pataya or make other-than-Bangkok arrangements once I’m there?

Do it all in advance, via internet, if you can. Best to have it all done and not have to worry about it.

>And….are things less playful after the government’s efforts to

>eliminate the sex trade?

There has been no government effor to "eliminate the sex trade". Don't know where you got that. It's definitely here to stay, for better or for worse.

You mentioned Singapore Air but not where you are leaving from. If you're thinking about the Newark-Singapore nonstop, you may want to consider the new Thai Air nonstop between JFK and Bangkok. The Thai Air seats offer more legroom ("pitch") between rows in economy and pretty much the same state-of-the-art video/audio-on-demand system as Singapore Air. Both do their best to make the 16+ hour flights as painless as possible. Thai Air also offers a Premium Economy section on this flight; I can't remember if Singapore Air does as well.

If this is your first trip to SE Asia, I would suggest skipping Singapore and do more visiting throughout Thailand. Singapore is an interesting city, but quite westernized and sanitized-for-your protection. For hotels, it's a good idea to pre-book in high season to make sure you get your choice of hotel. For popular gay-oriented hotels like the Tarntawan in BKK and the Ambiance or Cafe Royale hotels in Pattaya, it's a good idea to pre-book rooms any time of year as they attract many regulars and new gay visitors year-round.

Best time (and airline) to go to Thailand?

Thanks for the suggestions.

That non-stop New York/BKK on Thai looks good. A question, though: I’ve heard that Singapore Air is MUCH better on creature comforts than any other airline (food, service, fully flat-bed seats, etc.). How would their business class compare with Thai’s?

I’ll be using miles and could go with: Singapore, Cathay Pacific, Thai, United or American.

Some of the airlines can also route via London or Frankfurt. Would that be good since I’ll originate from east coast USA?

I’ve never flown to the far east and I just don’t want to make a dumb mistake and wind up like the TV commercial saying, “I could have had a V-8!”

Guest msclonly

Airlines to BKK!

I flew Cathay Paciiic two years in a row LA-HKG-BKK and still have not gotten over it. They were the best flights of my life.

Service was outstanding, made to order food on demand was good, seats were next to fantastic sleepers, and the special teas & champagne flowed throughout the flight. All in flight PJ's, that encouraged real sleep. Even a nice big restroom for changing into the Designer label PJ's.

The stop at HKG was equally refreshing with a tub soak, shave, gourmet Breakfast buffet or made to order, more champagne, custom coffee drinks and top notch service. Connecting flight was a little late, so I stopped at the Noodle Bar in the FIrst Class lounge. The shorter flight to BKK was equally comfortable.

Both annual trips were in First Class, but the AmerAir points are gone.

Last year, went back to Northwest, that I flew to BKK throughout the 1990's in Buiness Class. It was the worst flights of my life in the oldest 742 NW flies with the worst OLD seats in the sky. Perhaps they have moved it to the NRT-BKK segments or retired it instead of flying LAX-NRT! Geez, you would think they could have replaced those old seats,that caused venous stasus in the legs with some newer ones in a warehourse! It felt like sitting in an oversized donut ring for hemorrhoids.

NO service, bad seats, no decent green teas, etc!, etc! Horrible Departure hours with a 6AM return.

This year I will try Malaysia Airlines in First Class LAX-KUA-BKK. It is suppose to be right up there with Cathay Pacific and Singapore airlines in quality and comfort. State of the art new seats/Cabin, Special Lounge, etc. Civilized Departure hours. Will do a Kuala Lumpar stopover on the return for 3 days for more exotic experiences.

NW miles are making this one possible.

:+ :+

RE: Airlines to BKK!

I live on the East coast and have flown to SE Asia many times, all coach. For some strange reason, even though flying east and routing through Europe is shorter and takes less time, the cost of the ticket is always hundreds of dollars more than flying west and transiting through NRT or HGK. I've never understood why. I've flown mainly on Northwest and agree that the planes eem old and the seating configuration doesn't leave much legroom making it hard to sleep on the trans-pacific part of your flight. My last flight was on Cathay Pacicfic. Even though it was longer than Northwest routing from BOS=LAX=HGK=BKK, I would choose them again. Superior service, more comfortable seats, and most importantly more legroom. Yes they have the fancy in the seat tv screen with a myriad of choices for your diversion, but that really didn't concern me as I usually try to sleep(drug induced) for as much of the trans-pacific leg as I can. Thai Air hadn't started their nonstop nyc-BKK flights yet. If it is a convenient gateway for you that is what I would choose the next time. I've flown Thai Air many times in SE Asia and have found them to be one of the BEST airlines I have ever used, good service, good food, comfortable seats, and plenty of legroom.Getting on and off planes and waiting in airports on a multi-leg long haul can be very tiring and annoying. I would choose a 16=17 hour nonstop any day.

Pfeliks�

I think you will find it impossible, or nearly impossible, to book the NYC - BKK nonstop using award mileage. This is a very "premium" flight, and they do not seem to be handing out tickets on it.

I flew Cathay business from LAX a few years ago and, althought the furnishings of the plane were rather dated, the service was excellent. In terms of service, Cathay, Malaysian, Singapore, Thai and JAL usually rank in the top 5 of the world. Many think that Cathay's first and business class lounges in Hong Kong airport are the best in the world. When comparing business classes on most of these airlines, it really depends on the age of a specific aircraft. A newer Cathay plane will have a better business class (in terms of seats, inflight entertainment) than an older Singapore plane, and vice versa. The same is true when comparing Singapore and Thai. As for the nonstops out of NYC, it sounds as if the two the flights are quite comparable in terms of comfort, amenities and service. For me the two determining factors would be cost and destination. Cathay also offers a nonstop NYC-HKG flight.

You may want to check out the [a href=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=374]airline programs forums[/a] at flyertalk.com - each airline has its own forum where members discuss the various merits and faults of many of these flights.

I think you will find business class service on most Asian airlines vastly superior to anything you have experienced in American carrier business class.

Guest msclonly

Flyertalk,com

I have been a long time member of http://www.flyertalk.com from it's earliest day and did get all the information on all the different airlines flying to Asia and domestically. Have made MANY contributions for others, as well!

It appears CathayPac and Singapore airlines were rated as the best service in the sky, and the you would have had to choose between which of the two different champagnes they served to choose which Airline you will fly, and consider the finer Cathay Pac Lounges in HKG. But in addition, there is a different flight pattern to consider along with the connections to BKK.

The newer CathayPac planes and service has been around for over 3 years out of LAX>

Malaysia will have the Better up front cabins with the best FLAT bed seats available at this time, and a slightly different ambiance to go with the Satay. The updating is being completed right now.

One knowledgeable Frequent Flyer Business man thought that Malaysia Air First Class might be an even better flying experience, then Singapore Air.

Though Kuala Lumpar is a longer flight time with a stop in Taiwan, I opted for it over JAL to avoid NRT and less then Grand flights. I did want to try that SPECIAL order Japanese dinner on JAL, estimated cost of about $150.00. I think it is called Kaisaki Dinner, but am not sure of the correct spelling! NW miles work for both, but bookings for JAL are only permitted 3 month out. Malaysia Air took my reservations at the beginning of the year for the end of the year, so I had a choice of seats. :)

Trying to use up the FreqFlyer miles, and may limit flights on COntinental Air to South America in the future.

:+ :+

RE: Flyertalk,com

msclonly - I know JAL is rather limited in the lead time for booking directly with them, but like you I'm trying to use up some miles (AAdvantage) and I was able to book a BKK roundtrip award through AA which includes 3 JAL flights for next May, with the return transpacific flight in this sweet seat: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inflight/inter/first/f_seat/. I gulped at the number of miles I had to use, but this is why we earn those miles. :-)

One other thing that should be mentioned about the nonstop flights from New York - whether on Singapore, Thai, Cathay Pacific or JAL, these are their prestige flights and one can expect each airline to be in top form in terms of service and type of aircraft. I don't think any of these flights would disappoint.

Northwest doesn't look like a good one to fly to Asia:

Sep 24, 4:44 PM EDT

Flight leaves 43 hours behind schedule

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- A Northwest Airlines flight to Tokyo finally took off Saturday morning - 43 hours late.

Mechanical problems and a lack of a crew had kept the Boeing 747-400 on the ground since its scheduled departure time of 3 p.m. Thursday.

The delay was not caused by the airline's mechanics' strike, which began Aug. 20, Northwest spokeswoman Jennifer Bagdade said.

"Northwest experienced mechanical issues prior to the strike and we continue to experience them today. So this isn't new," she said.

Passengers were kept on the plane for a total of nine hours over a 24-hour period, said airline spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch.

Bagdade said Northwest tried to rebook all the passengers on other flights, but many of those flights were full. When the plane finally left on the more than 12-hour-long flight, it carried about 100 fewer passengers than its original 365.

Northwest apologized to the passengers and will pay for two nights' worth of food and lodging and plans to give them $700 in travel certificates.

"It's certainly an unfortunate delay," Ebenhoch said. "We regret the inconvenience; we apologize. We work hard to avoid this. It happens to other airlines as well."

---

• 2 weeks later...

Back to Seasons.....

The cool season often isn't much cooler than the rainy season, just dryer. It varies from year to year--I've been going to thailand since '89. The rainy season can run well into November, although most years it ends in October. December and early January are good to avoid--its the peak season for European & North American tourists--lots of touts, scams, and high prices. Late January/ Feb is a better time to go, although flights can be booked because of Chinese New Year

Unless you're planning to build a trip around trekking or just doing a short trip expecting to be at the beach or scuba diving, the rainy season can be a good alternative. There can be several dreary days in a rowm, but usually you get a big shower for about an hour at about the same time everyday (usually mid afternoon to early evening), which cools things off and cleans the air for awhile afterward.

I was fortunate during my August trip in the southern province of the country. 15 days, with only two days of heavy rain each of which lasted less than an hour. The days were hot, but certainly tolerable, and nothing new to a true son of the south like me. The rain cooled things off, but when the sun returned, it was like being back home simmering in a broiler. I definitely preferred the non rainy days, of which I had 13 of them to enjoy. :-)

Archived