A Visit to Phuket: Now or Later????

Axiom2001
This topic is 7027 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

During midyear of 2005, I will travel to Bangkok and Chaing Mai with a group. On my own I plan to spend an additional five days each in Bangkok and Pattaya. I'd also wanted to include Phuket on this visit, but with the Tsunami happening, I have second and third thoughts...!

Besides the Patong area, what else does one do while there?

I've heard from Utopia Tours via a very nice e postcard encouraging folks to come to Phuket; I also received two emails from guys who are members of the Aquarius yahoo group encouraging me to come to Phuket and perhaps staying at the Aquarius.

Guys, I don't know! If I do include Phuket, I plan to stay no more than three or fours days! What advice can you lend to me? Also, where would you advise me to stay while I'm there, or should this be a separate post?

I am a believer in the adage that "two heads are better than one!" In this case, it will be more heads than one or two! :-) Help a cyberbrother, please!

Ax,

I am headed to Phuket in less than a month and will let you know how things are over there.

I love the area and have great fun with the nightlife. For daytime adventures, we spent a few days renting boats and touring the islands. There is also a gay friendly beach area that was lots of fun. We did some shopping and had some very nice meals. If you enjoy watersports, you will keep very busy during the day. I am not sure what the impact of the problem recently will have on this part of the tourism.

I stayed at :

Baan Yin Dee

7/5 Muean Ngen Road

Phone: (0) 7629 - 4104 Fax: (0) 7629 - 4108

Email: info@baanyindee.com

It was beautiful, run by gay men and a very gay friendly gay staff. The rooms were great and the service was excellent.

Oz, your response is quite appreciated, and I will look forward to your update once you return there.

Within the past two days, I've received four emails from guys who've been there; this morning after receiving your encouragement as well as the advice given to me via another site, Phuket will definitely be included.

Sawadee, (I hope this is correct for "thank you!")

Edd- :-)

Places like Patong Beach and its the gay venues are getting back to normal somewhat. The biggest problem for the gay bars is that there aren't many customers (many having cancelled their plans) and some of the barboys have headed off for either BKK, Pattaya or back home. There still should be a decent selection, however. As for daytime touring, many of the surrounding islands like Ko Phi Phi were devastated by the tsunami and will take much longer to recover than the main Phuket island.

A week ago Sunday, the Washington Post travel section had its main article devoted to Phuket - "Phuket: Should You Go?"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44806-2005Jan28.html

(free registration may be required)

I too differ on Phuket or Pattaya in April. I get mixed information from all the sources but have summed them up for my own edification

Pattaya - unaffected, thriving, no reason not to go

Phuket - depends on what you are really going for

Seems April is booked solid as I have tried to get rooms and cannot, if you try mid-year should have rooms as it is off season.

Do you want to visit nearby islands for snorkeling, etc - main feedback is very little open or running on most islands as they suffered the most damage, not expected to be "open" for months

Do you want to spend your days on the beach - main feedback beach is great with chairs/umbrellas returning - but very limited services on the beach or beach road, almost everything still closed

Nighlife - same feedback as above the selection is limited as the boys have moved north.

Restaurants - on the beach none are open, away from the beach everything is running fine.

To me taking all the pros/cons I have stuck to Pattaya for this trip.

I've not traveled in the area, nor do I have plans to do so, but I have thought of one consideration that hasn't yet been mentioned. Tourist dollars would probably do a lot more good in Phuket than in Pattaya right now. Every little bit helps in terms of restarting the local economies.

On a less altruistic note, and based on absolutely nothing but my own speculation, Phuket area residents might be more grateful for whatever business you bring in, and show their appreciation in unexpected ways.

I must admit, I'm surprised to hear that hotel rooms are hard to come by in April. Usually in Phuket and elsewhere in Thailand, the slow season is already moving in (as is the heat). I normally visit in May and the gay bars are begging for customers; the hotels where we stay are already offering off-season rates. My friend in Pattaya complains that there are currently far fewer tourists than normal for this time of year.

In Patong Beach, I understand that the government intends to control the return of concessions to the immediate beach area so that that it won't be as crowded and overdeveloped as before the tsunami. (We'll see how well that resolve holds up.) Since most restaurants and hotels were not directly on the beach, they suffered less severe damage or no damage at all, so there should be plenty of venues available.

Incidentally, "sawatdee krap" is the Thai equivalent of aloha, meaning both hello and goodbye. As already noted, "kop koon krap" is thank you. ("Krap" is the polite male particle added to most sentences when speaking with strangers or social superiors. "Ka" is used by females and far too many ladyboys.)

Thanks much for the response, Rampo! I registered for the WP online, printed and read the article. Now I'm doing a goggle search of Phuket, gay and otherwise. Didn't think of this before I wrote my questions, but I do appreciate what has been cited/given to me thus far!

After reading the various posts to my query and reading the websites that have been mentioned, I have made up my mind! I have decided to spend at least four or five days in Phuket. Now my slight dilemma is: where to stay.

I've gotten one recommendation, but I think it might be a tad bit pricey for me. What moderately priced places would you guys recommend for my Phuket stay? Your recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated.

There is Icon Hotel - a taxi or tuktuk ride from the beach and main areas but very nice hotel with nice views from the hillside over Patong.

Connect Guest House right in Paradise complex - more B&B style. Clean, very friendly staff, while in the heart of boystown it has a very mixed clientele.

Royal Paradise Hotel - www. royalparadise.com - large highrise hotel, friendly staff, nice rooms though some are dated ask for renovated room. Next to Paradise complex and 10 min walk to beach.

Club Andaman - across the street from beach but large modern hotel. They also have bungalows.

All a moderately priced with Connect Guest House on the lower price range. You can find more info on dreadedned or phuket.com

Cast..., thanks for your recommendations. Awhile ago I went to the websites of each lodging and have decided to go with the Royal Paradise. This venue has a great, great deal during the low season.

If I desire to have overnight company, and I am definitely certain that I will, what are the policies of this hotel and/or the others mentioned?

Axiom -

I actually changed my plans based on more research and am going to Phuket in April - staying at Royal Paradise in their new wing.

Guests- Icon, no problems at all

Club Andaman, they state they charge but never was

Royal Paradise, state they charge but never was

Connect, no problems at all

I have found all four to be very open with no hassles.

Archived