Suitable dress for Thai bars?

piston10
This topic is 7161 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I suppose you could call it a wardrobe problem!

I'm going to Pattaya and Bangkok for a few weeks - for all the usual reasons - so I've been doing my homework in the guides and on the net. I've noticed lots of advice about dress and a stress on the Thai appreciation of some formality - especially expected of farangs. I've also seen plenty of pics of bars and clubs on the net and I haven't seen one farang dressed as I usually dress for a self-confident and sexy night of cruising.

I happen to be very slim (30" w) with a neat butt, so in the UK I can get away in any bar or club with a pair of calf-length sailor's pants, trainers or what-have-you, and a Ben Sherman Shirt. (Well, a bit different for a kinky night out, but, since this is not an option in Thailand, I'll spare you the details!!!)

Would this be acceptable in any go-go bar, or would it be too much like the boys on stage?!! All this may seem a bit vain, but really I'm trying to avoid being refused entry, outraging anyone, or making myself a complete laughing-stock. I'm a firm believer in "When in Rome...", but also believe in being yourself, as far as is possible in any situation. Would different bars have different responses? For example, with my idea of a night out I'm sure I shall be heading for the XXXCrazyPub in Pattaya (from what I've heard) and it doesn't sound the kind of place that would worry about what you were wearing.

Apart from putting my mind at rest and helping with the packing, a bit of advice might keep me within my baggage allowance ,too!

Thanks for any ideas,

Jerry.

I think you will find that there are few outfits that will get a foreign tourist carrying money barred from entry. The clothing you have described looks best on younger male tourists (under 30), although there are some older farang who wear similar getups. IMO the latter look rather silly, but one certainly wouldn't be refused entry because of it. Most Thai appreciate it when a farang tourist puts some kind of effort into his appearance - it shows that you have respect for them and respect for yourself. This is especially true in Bangkok; traditional "gay wear" may work in the gay discos, but that's about it. Since Pattaya is a beach town, you can get away with a bit more. In the evenings I usually wear a sports shirt and either jeans or chinos. You will notice that in the evenings most aware farang tourists and expats wear long pants and dressier shirts than they would wear during the day, even in Pattaya. The truth is that as long as you have money you can get along wearing whatever the hell you want - you may even see the occasional guy in dress - but in general Thai guys probably have more respect for those who wear clothing that is age and weight appropriate.

One of the advantages of staying in a hotel located in the gay bar district is that you can easily saunter back to your room and change into clothing that is most appropriate for the bar you are going to next.

This can result in a need for a lot of clothes, but that is no problem as these things are less expensive in Thailand. On the other hand, if you are spending your money on bars and guys, do you really want to spend extra to be finely attired?

The answer will differ according to the individual, but I would suggest that if you have a hot butt, you really need to display it well. Otherwise, it is just an ass.

Thanks for the posting, Lucky. Yes, I'll be in the centre - and I'd forgotten how many problems can be solved by a bit of "sauntering"! I treasure your reply for "otherwise it's just an ass"! Hope I manage to meet a few Thai guys who feel the same!

Gerry.

Rambo, thanks for the balanced advice, which also contains, I think, a stern warning! It backs up what I had already begun to feel as a result of my own research. It's a bit difficult for a gay who's used to London, Amsterdam or Montreal, where convention and fastidiousness died a long time ago, to realise that wearing jeans and a dressier shirt could, in a gay context, be a mark of respect to anyone else -let alone of self-respect! Still, I don't expect Thailand to come to terms with ME - it has to be the other way round, since that's what travel is about. I shall keep your comments in mind - but I don't PROMISE not to stand in front of the mirror and convince myself that, in this particular case, the criteria of weight and age appropriateness are fulfilled. After all, I've got all the gay weaknesses!

Much appreciated.

Jerry.

I was only offering advice, not a warning. You asked, I answered based on my experience and observation.

Outside of Pattaya, fashions that may be OK in discos or the gay club sois will draw stares away from those venues. Nothing particularly untoward is likely to happen if you dress a bit flamboyantly, but it is probable that you will feel more conspicuous than you might in places like Amsterdam. Obviously I don't know what you look like or how old you are, but I will tell you that on more than one occasion I have had a Thai indicate some western tourist and ask me something along the lines of "Why farang man dress like little boy?" Some may think this is a compliment, but I would not.

Archived