Most comfortable airline to Thailand?

HardnThick
This topic is 7369 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest icon513

Where are you flying from?

If from the east coast, the nonstops from New York to HKG on either Continental or Cathay Pacific are the way to go (especially in biz class), connecting on any on-going flight for the 3-hour hop to Bangkok.

If from the West Coast, Singapore Airlines flies non-stop from LAX to Singapore, connecting on to Bangkok.

Forget United, Northwest, and Thai. For the latter, even the prime minister was quoted as saying "Thai Airlines sucks".

When I went to Thailand, I used both Thai and Northwest. At that time TA was superb; I don't know what it is like today although a good friend of mine went to TLand approximately 3 yrs ago and loved Thai Airlines. I didn't mind NW, either, but would like to travel there via Singapore Airlines if I could get a reasonably priced ticket. As you know "she's purported to be the grand dame of the skies to the East."

Looks like my freq flier would let me take Singapore, Cathay Pacific or United—biz class.

I’d start on East coast but maybe it’d be good to break the trip on the West coast for an overnight to make the long trip a bit easier.

Recommendations for those airlines?

Guest icon513

From the East coast, definitely Cathay Pacific. Flat beds in business class, first class entertainment and food, flawless service.

Forget about stopping on the west coast. You'll be flying thousands of miles and hours out of your way. Take the non-stop from JFK to Hong Kong, pop an Ambien or Xanax after dinner and a movie, snuggle up under the duvet, and you'll be there before you know it.

Stop over in Hong Kong -- our own Hooboy's favorite city -- if you want to before going on to Thailand.

Thai Airlines was great ten years ago. Unfortunately, they have not kept up with the times, equipment-wise. No flat beds in business class (just old-fashioned biz class chairs) and lousy entertainment systems. They don't even have individual screens! Instead of that, they will give you a video walkman if you want, with a very limited selection of movies. Even first class on Thai is not nearly as good as business class on Cathay or Singapore (take it from someone who knows!).

Guest msclonly

Cathy Pacific to BKK

Used up Amer Airline miles for two trips in First Class on Cathy Pacific Airlines from the West Coast for what has to be the only way to fly. Arriving fully refreshed and the use of their superb Lounge with a shower, shave, and more gournet foods in HKG makes for an effortless trip. Ready to party on arrival, rather then going to bed!

Back in 1990's, took a number of trips in Business Class on NW, which will be hard to return to, since I will not pay the $11,000.00 RT for a Cathy Pacific ticket.

There is little doubt, that CP in coach is better then most.

Singapore Airlines would make for a long trip, since Singapore is South of BKK, and you would to fly back North to BKK for about an hour.

:+ :+

RE: Cathy Pacific to BKK

It’s great to have such experienced guys willing to help. Thanks!

Would you say Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines are equal in comfort with their biz class? For such a long haul, that would be important.

Does Cathay go non-stop from JFK to Hong Kong? Remember how many hours in the air?

I think Thai Air started its decline when they dropped the go-go boys from the flights. It wasn't so bad even then because they still offered the nude massage. But I guess it just got too expensive to carry 20-30 guys of varying ages (mostly twinks, though). I here now that all Thai Air flights will have to land by midnight to comply with the new bar closing laws.

Guest icon513

Yes, Cathay Pacific flies non-stop from JFK to HKG. The flight is around 16 to 18 hours, depending on direction and winds. I'd say that biz class on CX and SQ are equally good. Both are superb! The biz class lounge for Cathay in HKG, though, is in a class by itself. Amazing architecture, made-to-order noodle bar, Haagen-Dazs ice cream, private shower rooms with all the trimmings...I fly through HKG just to make use of it.

Guest rampo

I agree with icon about the business class lounges at HKG. I think there are four of them scattered throughout the airport and they are amazing. Unfortunately, my layover both directions was so short that I really didn't have much time to enjoy them, although I did manage to hit the noodle bar - a very nice touch.

Guest msclonly

Things just don't same the same!

One could say, that you are not very Lucky!

Any seat is better then those in Coach!

:+

Agreed. Singapore is the BEST~

Their service on the ground and while airborn is frankly the best of any airline i've ever experienced... and that includes Concorde flights as well. They simply know what the passenger needs before they know they need it... Added, their sleep capsules in first are pristine for getting a true nights sleep.

Let me also recommend the personal chef option when flying elite class with Singapore. Some of the best food i've had in an aircraft and it's freshly cooked, not heated in a convection oven. It's a nice treat to give yourself on such a long flight (if you're headed from LAX that is...)

Enjoy Thailand. I could easily eat my way through that place.

*grin*

Warmest Always,

Benjamin Nicholas

Guest msclonly

Singapore or Cathy Pacific Airlines for Transpacific flight!

If you are unable to decide on which airline between Singapore and Cathy Pacific, check on which Champagne and caviar are servied in First and Business Classes. If you have a favorite or prefer one over another, then you will be able to make a better decision between the two airlines! :)

I enjoyed the Krug Grand Cuvee Champagne and the Pacific Sunrise Signature Drink made with champagne, Drambuie with the zest of orange and lemon, while enjoying gobs of Oscietra Caviar followed by Balik Fillet "Tsar Nicolay" serve iwth Warm New Potatoes and Creme Fraiche. The caviar makes for a good snack with more Krug on awakening from a long nap over the North Pacific Ocean or thereabouts. Doesn't matter with the shades pulled down and good food and a few movies and comedy episodes!

The Hungarian Goulash Soup garnished with Mini Garlic Baguette was another welcome surprise. Goulash is a favorite of mine, no mattter if it is Hungarian or German or Austrian made! :)

I choose the Grilled Lobster and Scallops with Lobster Sauce with Vegetable Casserole for the Main Course.

The Extra Virgin Olive Oil with Balsamic were a very fine addition in miniture bottles for the breads and Salads.

I asked that another Entre, Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Natural Gravy and Cafe de Paris Butter with Fondant Potatoes and Oven-roasted Vegetables, be saved for my mid flight snack after an extended nap. But it became an excellent Lunch in place of the usual Breakfast just before landing. I was very hungry from all the effort of flying a big plance. This request came from the experience of the same flight a year before, when the special Noodle soup did not go over as well!

Another nice drink is the Cathay Delight - A Kiwifruit based NON-alcoholic drink with coconut juice and touch of fresh mint. You can't have just one!

The Special Teas featured on the flights were an added bonus to help rejuvenate during the flights. The favorite from the year before turned out to be the Nanyan Supreme Ti Guan Yin (Ceylon), an Oolong tea, that I have been drinking every sense at home, as well as on the 747 speeding to Southeast Asia and back. I drank most of the supply. The leafs come in small silver bags with Gold Labels for individual pot brewing portions. Even got a couple of bags to take with me. I have since shared them with friends and converted them to drinking tea instead of diet drinks or Charbuck's.

The other Special tea was Funding Jasmine Needle, which was a little strong on the tongue with the Krug!

Also, filled in the some spaces with the Japanese tea. The anti-oxidents in all the different teas help with preventing jet lag and the resultant fatigue or sleepiness! Preventing dehydration of the 18.5 hour of flying is another benefit of the teas.

The first trip to December ago was full of excitment, anticipation, since I didn't know what to expect. But this last December's trip to HKG and BKK was pretty routine and therefore more RELAXING with added sleep.

On the return flight from BKK, I had a two day layover in HKG for Christmas, which I wanted for some shopping. On the last visit to HKG before it reverted back to Chinese Control, I got some excellent Japanese Titanium eyeglass frames and wanted to get a couple more, while looking for authetic tea shops to get the 'real' oriental green teas and the Ti Guan Yin tea. Succeded in finding some great frames for a fraction of the US prices. But after tasting tea like a wine tasting venture purchased several teas in a shop many years old and only carried tea in large canisters portioned out in various size bags. No Cups, hot water kettles, etc were sold there! The Optician saw the Labeled bag and his eyes opened wide, that I had bought from the best Tea Shop in the city. So I had to bargain harder for the frames. Still can't believe they were only $60.USD. They are feather light compared to the German Zeiss Titanium frames built to last a lifetime! I was hoping the Japanese frames would not break after Christmas like the Japanese toys did, when I was little. :)

Guest msclonly

RE: Singapore or Cathy Pacific Airlines for Transpacific flight!

The most extensive web source of teas at REASONABLE prices is

http://www.specialteas.com Their website and catalog is every extensive.

The alternate spellings above are very corrrect.

Ti Kwan Yin, etc.

Also try an ORIENTAL grocery store, if there are any in your area.

Oolong is a Green Tea and is 25% roasted or fermented. Black tea is 100% roasted.

Chinese Restaurant Tea is a combination of Green, Oolong, and Jasmine teas! I think the OOlong is more helpful with meals and helps digestion. Whereas The Green teas are refreshing between meals. Don't forget the Japanese Green teas, though some a more

vegetal taste. Grassy is another word for it, but still very hellpful with anti-oxidents and minerals! Healing properties, as well.

:9

Guest msclonly

RE: Singapore or Cathy Pacific Airlines for Transpacific flight!

I am sorry that you could not see the significance about the

food SERVICE on CX to help decide, which airline to fly in for 18 hours.

The question asked was, which airline gives better service, and FOOD is a MAJOR aspect of flying and choosing an airline. In fact, it maybe the main reason for picking an airline!

If you found it so offensive , why did you bother to read it?

Frequent Flyers find the drinks, like beers available on a flight and food very important for choosing an airline with the seats and airplane model less so.

Should I assume, that you do not fly much or great distances and it doesn't matter to you what you get in the way of food?;(

Guest msclonly

The posts certainly fits the SUBJECT title!

And the discussin of food and drinks along with the seats

would really help answer that question!

:+

Guest laboheme

> Their service on the ground and while airborn is frankly the

>best of any airline i've ever experienced... and that includes

>Concorde flights as well.

Has the Concorde exhibit opened at the Air and Space Museum already, or did you just hit the jackpot, or was that "johnpot"?

Archived