translation question

blumpet
This topic is 6765 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi everybody

I am coming to brazil for 3 weeks holiday. I read most of the post and I printed about 150 pages, in order to bring with me your valuable information. Most of my questions have been answered in your posts. :-)

Thank you very much to all the posters.

I am coming to Rio, then I am planning to go to Curitiba, Foz de Iguacu and finish in Sau Paulo. However, I did not booked flights as I will move according to my mood and the people I will meet, without being obliged to change place at a given date.

I speak Spanish and Italian, thus Portuguese seems not to be difficult. I am presently trying to learn a little bit more with an “assimil” software.

There are however some expression I won’t find… like “I’d like to be top” or “Are you bottoming” which could be useful in order to avoid misunderstanding when talking to a boy in a sauna. How do we ask that politely in Brazilian ? :9

My second question is practical, what is the maximum amount at a time we can withdraw from the cash machine with a master or a visa card.

Thanks again and friendly regards

Bruno

Hi everybody

I am coming to brazil for 3 weeks holiday. I read most of the post and I printed about 150 pages, in order to bring with me your valuable information. Most of my questions have been answered in your posts. :-)

Thank you very much to all the posters.

I am coming to Rio, then I am planning to go to Curitiba, Foz de Iguacu and finish in Sau Paulo. However, I did not booked flights as I will move according to my mood and the people I will meet, without being obliged to change place at a given date.

I speak Spanish and Italian, thus Portuguese seems not to be difficult. I am presently trying to learn a little bit more with an “assimil” software.

There are however some expression I won’t find… like “I’d like to be top” or “Are you bottoming” which could be useful in order to avoid misunderstanding when talking to a boy in a sauna. How do we ask that politely in Brazilian ? :9

My second question is practical, what is the maximum amount at a time we can withdraw from the cash machine with a master or a visa card.

Thanks again and friendly regards

Bruno

Hi Bruno,,,I am currently listening to Pimsleurs Brazzilian Portugese one.I want to tell you that you must learn Portugese as a seperate language-outside of spanish or Italian(both of which I speak a little of)as the pronuciation is very different and they use different phrases than the other languages.

Also check into a varig brazilian airpass since you want freedom to travel around the country.

Finally-check out GayTravelBrazil.com.Not only is it a great site but the guys there can help you with arrangements for your Brazillian adventures-I have recieved many good recomendations on their services.

As the previous writer stated, "check out GayTravelBrazil.com. There is a section regarding language which Trilingual wrote and which has been most helpful for sexual encounters.

Also,in regards to your query, just ask the guy if he's passivo, ativo, or complet? Most will say ativo, but as been mentioned in many of the responses by other writers-- once the guy gets into the cabine, he might flip over for you if he publicly stated that he is ativo; I do know one thing though: if a guy is top, he will kiss like mad and heavenly but, in many respects, will NOT let you suck his balls too much if at all; he definitely will NOT let you explore his ass in any manner; it's sacred and untouchable.

But, if I were you, I would try to enjoy as much of the guy as possible. He will let you know his limits in a "nice" way!

(The amount of money that you extract from an ATM machine depends on that amount that you are allowed to withdraw from your bank at home.)

Nowadays a fee is accessed by the Brasilian bank as well as by your bank Stateside-- 3%-- I think! But don't let this deter your withdrawing pleasure. Think what you will use it for in many cases!

:9

As mentioned before, please visit http://www.GayTravelBrazil.com In the Forums you'll find "The Hot Zone," and there you will find a menu item for "Hot Talk." I think most of your questions about Portuguese that you won't learn from Assimil are there. To answer your specific question, just ask "Ativo?" for "active/top", "Passivo?" for "passive/bottom" or "Completo?" which means he's willing to do both. Most Brazilians can understand quite a bit of Spanish and Italian, if you speak slowly and clearly. It will be harder for you to understand Brazilians until you get used to the language because Portuguese has more vowel sounds than Spanish or Italian.

Beside any limit your own bank has, in Brazil the most generous ATM limits seem to be with Citibank and HSBC. At both you can take out R$1000 for each transaction. If you need more cash than that (which you shouldn't) you can repeat the transaction until you reach your own bank's daily limit for withdrawals. If your bank allows you to withdraw €1000 each day, that's approximately R$2500. So at HSBC or Citibank you can make 3 withdrawals each day: 2 for R$1000 and 1 for R$500. At Bradesco, the largest private bank in Brazil, the limit is R$600 per transaction.

Citibank in Brazil now charges a fee for use of its ATMs by customers of other banks. HSBC and Bradesco don't seem to do that. I've used both of those bank's ATMs in the past few days with my Citibank card and there was no extra charge.

Citibank has relatively few branches in Brazil, except in São Paulo. HSBC has many branches in all of the large cities. Bradesco has branches almost everywhere. Banco do Brasil has even more branches than Bradesco, but sometimes not all of their ATMs are linked to the international system. But in some very small places Banco do Brasil is the only bank.

Also, in almost all of Brazil ATMs are only open until 10:00 p.m. for security reasons, so if you need a large amount of cash be sure to go before that time. After 10:00 p.m. you may find some ATMs open at the international airport, or inside some of the large international hotels (like the Meridien in Rio, where there is an ATM on the 4th floor where the café and swimming pool are located). There are also free-standing ATMs in shopping centers and some all night supermarkets and pharmacies, but after 10:00 p.m. you can only withdraw R$100 at a time, again for safety reasons.

Thank you very much to everybody.

I surfed on http://www.GayTravelBrazil.com and found lot of interesting information, beside the answer to my question which you kindly answered above. I printed as well the small and very usefull dictionary

I am looking forward to arriving in Rio (next Thursday)

I will let you know about my trip when I will be back

Have a good time

Bruno

Bruno- I extend my best to you on your first "dip" into Brasilian culture. Keep your wits about you, and you should have a wonderful, wonderful time with that vibrant energy and warm desire to return to "Mother Brasil" (as some M4Mer's refer) once you've touched ground again in the States. :9 :-) :9 axiom

Archived