NY Times Travel Articles on Brazil

trilingual
This topic is 7039 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Here are links to a couple of articles in this weekend's Sunday NY Times. The article on Rio, while not specifically covering the gay scene, is a well-written description of the Carioca way of life and why it's so attractive to so many visitors.

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2005/02/20/travel/20rio.html

The second article describes popular destinations in Northeastern Brazil that are still relatively unknown to U.S. tourists. (Europeans have known about them for a while, and there are non-stop flights from Europe to Recife, Salvador and Fortaleza.)

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2005/02/20/travel/20nebrazil.html

It is a very good articles that covers a subject that rarely appears in American papers, TV or guide books.

By the way, the article is on the NY Times website. Know what you mean about the bias of the Times, so glad I found the Washington Times and its excellent travel, art & leisure and book review sections.

I'm old enough to remember when large daily newspapers reported

straight news in the news sections and reserved their bias to the

editorial and opinion pages.

I travel often on business and see it all - from the conservative biased Atlanta Constitution to the liberal biased New York Times.

I can recommend for those interested two daily papers who still report straight news

(1) the Chicago Tribune - an excellent paper and (2) the Dallas Morning News- excellent investigative journalism.

I am gong to read the Brazil articles in the Times . Doubt if ythere's any bias there...lol

I can see this thread already turning sour once again. From the most innocent and (quite enlightening) tip to a good article coming from an ever so helpful friend of this forum turning ever so slightly (at first) into a political aside and would end up once again into a bitter argument. And it is not limited to forums such as this. Even discussion of food turns to a vituperative food fight at e-gullet. What’s with people nowadays. Let’s just stick to the matter at hand boys.

Thank God for the bias to be found in The New York Times. Despite the conservative cry that the media bias in this country is to-the-left, there are plenty of conservative newspapers in this country that prove otherwise. So The New York Times is a tonic. At least we get to find out what the real conservative agenda is in the U.S. There's hardly a week that goes by without reading about the pathetic journalists shilling for Republican causes like the failed "No Child Left Behind" education bill the President refuses to fund properly. The latest Republican embarassiment is Jeff Gannon and his double life and multi-personas lobbing softball questions to the President in an attempt to demonize center and t- the left-opinion.

While the rest of the media is in lock-step with the President on the disastrous war in Iraq, our moribund economy, the huge deficits, our disastrous new prescription card program (where was the conservative media--those pillars of fiscal conservation--when the President was selling congress on that expensive bill of goods?), and distracting conservatives with the double-bugaboo of same-sex marriage and abortion. I suppose you will be supporting the President and the conservative press when he takes away Social Security, which may be the only retirement income people can count on now that big business is determined to take away our pensions and reduce the amount of money they contribute to our 401k plans.

Thank you conservatives all very much. I'm sticking to the rational bias of The New York Times. You're welcome to the delusional news you're reading in your papers. Actually, why bother? TV news is even more delusional. And takes a lot less time.

I read the New York Times article on Rio yesterday morning before Tri posted and noted how special it was in mentioning aspects of Rio life that the average American visitor would not know about.

Therefore, I was happy to see that Tri had posted on the article.

You posted next with an entirely gratitios comment about usually not buying such a biased newspaper. When I made fun of your comment, you yelled foul. Perhaps you should have stuck to the subject in your first posting.

I agree and bravo to Tri for posting this. I get my back up about conservatives who turn everything into an arugment. I got upset here because no sooner had Tri mentioned it then another conservative had to politcize where none was ever intended tossed a bomb into an innocent conversation. But I'm not going to shut up when conservatives can't keep their mouths shut. Behave politely, and I'll respond in kind.

Archived