Carlo Romanus Travel Agency

williewanker2
This topic is 7051 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have been sending emails to the Romanus travel agency but have not received a response. I would like them to make a reservation for me at the Atlantico. I used the agency last March to arrange a trip to Paraty and was quite happy with their service. I don't know what is the problem now. Maybe they are too busy with arrangements for Carnival. Does anybody know?

Bob

lillyand2@yahoo.com

Carlo sent new year's greetings to me along with other communication during the earlier part of this month, and, if my memory is accurate, he stated that he's been deluged with making arrangements for people for Carnaval.

If that's the case and you are not in a hurry to have your reservations made-- perhaps a little more patience and persistence are in order. OnceCarnaval is over, prices decrease, and hotels have the space...

Also, if you are really in a hurry, I'd suggest that you send a fax to him. Carlo has made my arrangements for three of my four stays in Rio and has always been prompt in his communicating with me. I've communicated with him via emails, faxes, as well as making two international calls to him (although a little expensive).

He'll email. Sometimes he likes for emails to accumulate from individuals and address all of their concerns in ONE response.

Carlo and his partner Heitor took a week or so off to recover from the New Year's rush, but they're back in Rio dealing with the Carnival rush! It's been intense, because Carnival comes early this year, so there hasn't been the amount of time they usually have available to arrange everything.

If your travel plans are for after Carnival, it's possible they've moved it lower in the pile while they take care of more immediate arrivals. However, I'm sure Carlo will answer you and will be able to help you save money on your reservations and other travel arrangements. If you're feeling anxious, though, you can try calling at 011 + 55 (21) 3415-3126 or 8174-0022 (cellular) or fax 011 + 55 (21) 3413-3237.

Except there's no evidence of bad service in this case. We don't know how long the original poster has been trying to contact Carlo or how long he's been waiting. Some people get frustrated if they don't have a response within 5 minutes, even if the trip they're planning is 5 months away. I'm not saying that's the case here, but we all know people like that! I can say that everyone I know who has actually used Carlo's services has been pleased, and I definitely would have heard otherwise if they had been unsatisfied. So, unless there's immediate urgency, I'd say it's worth some patience and waiting for Carlo to get back to you if there isn't an instantaneous response when you first e-mail him.

Guest dreynsol

Lucky, please keep in mind this is Brazil where time runs at a slower pace. :-)

I think most of us book our air travel weeks in advance, so why not give Carlo a chance to negotiate and find the best rate available, even though not instantaneous.

Carlo may not respond back to me immediately, but I can rest assured my reservation will be made at the best rate possible.

Plus, I'd rather give my centavos to a gay-owned entrepreneur that treats me like a friend rather than an agency that treats me like a credit card number.

If Carlo hasn't responded back to you within two weeks, I might be a little concerned. If you're not willing to accept that, then another agency might be your best choice.

- Drey

I sent my first email to Carlo on Jan. 16 and the second on the 19th asking him to make a reservation at the Atlantico. I can understand that he might not be able to help me immediately, but at least he could send an email saying that he received my requent and is working on it.

When I did not receive any response, I had no idea whether he even received my emails. The longer I wait the greater the chance that the Atlantico will be booked up. I finally emailed the Atlantico directly yesterday, but have not had a response from them.

Bob

lillyand2@yahoo.com

You'll definitely get a better rate at the Atlantico through Carlo than you will booking directly. You didn't say when you plan to travel. If it's soon, and you're anxious, call him at the phone numbers shown above. If you get his voice-mail (it answers in Portuguese) just wait until the beep and leave an explicit message (in English): your name, that you've e-mailed him, that you'd like reservations for a room/suite at the Atlantico for (number of nights) between (dates), and can they please confirm via e-mail or by phoning you at (number).

E-mail isn't infallible. Systems are sometimes down, computers crash, etc. So use phone or fax as a back-up, particularly if time is short.

I have used Carlo's service few times. In my experinece, his email service may not be reliable. Often he never got my emails till I resent it few times. Few of his email never got to me till he later sent me copies. I would suggest either emailing him again, calling, or faxing him your request.

OHGWM226

I contacted Carlo for a 10 days stay with an American friend on his first visit from jan 20 to jan 30. He kept good communication with me and obtained a really good rate. My first timer also likes the accomodations Carol arranged. The proof is in the pudding. :+

I had no idea how many responses our fellow M4mer would receive after I'd written my take and Trilingual had clarified it by citing more specifics.

In my last response to the query, the only thing that I'd like to reiterate is to be patient and wait if you're not traveling for months ahead.

Carlo has appreciated OUR business and has been MOST professional in ALL instances, so let me assure you that when he reads his emails,,etc., he'll contact you.

Again, Williewanker has yet to state when he plans to be Rio.

(PS I think everyone here wants to receive excellent service, thus it doesn't matter whether Carlo's agency is gay orientated or not!

A friend of mine used his services last fall and was dissatisfied at first when Carlo did not answer my friend's e's as promptly as my friend had wanted. Well, as it turned out, my friend was more than happy with the outcome.

One of our fellow M4Mer's just stated so clearly that this is Brasil, a different culture, so gentlemen, keep in mind that if you are somewhat impatient try to become patient with dealing with people and situations that are a somewhat different from ours!)

Thanks! Axiom

Guest dreynsol

>> it doesn't matter whether Carlo's agency is gay oriented or not!

True, Axiom. But unfortunately, I'm sure a lot of his potential customers probably don't think that way. Some people choose businesses they want to support by religious or political affiliation. x( I've seen it first hand, and it happens more than you would think.

Personally, I go out of my way to support gay-owned businesses, because I know there is an element of people that go out of their way to not.

From my experience, you can save 20% by arranging through Carlo at the Atlantico. That's one night in five for free! :-)

I actually, booked through the Atlantico directly once, and it took a couple of days for them to get back to me (not instantaneous!). That way you're guaranteed your booking in case you're worried about the Atlantico filling up. Then, I decided to re-book through Carlo instead, asking him to make sure I didn't lose my room. I did have to cancel my reservation I had made through the Atlantico in order for Carlo re-book it. Not sure, if I'd recommend this practice, but it worked for me.

- Drey

Carlo Romanus Travel Agency -- Good Service

To be fair to Carlo, he did eventually get back to me and provided good service. While waiting for his response, I contacted the Atlantico directly but they said they were sold out on the days I wanted. When Carlo responded to my earlier emails, I said that the Atlantico was full up. He used his pull to get me a reservation at a good rate of about R$170 for a single.

Bob

RE: Carlo Romanus Travel Agency -- Good Service

And that's perhaps a perfect illustration of WHY it can be in your own best interest to work with a professional like Carlo. He sends a lot of business to the Atlântico, and they'll make an extra effort to accommodate his clients. He knows the local market and resources, and can steer you to accommodations, attractions, guides, etc. that you wouldn't be able to access on your own, and in many cases at favorable rates that you couldn't get as a walk-up client. In this case, you've got an excellent rate at an otherwise sold-out hotel, and it isn't costing you anything more, because Carlo is paid a commission by the hotel!

If you're already familiar with Brazil, and/or speak Portuguese, you can often do just about as well for yourself. But for most visitors that's not the case, and the assistance of an experienced, professional local travel agent can make all the difference in the world.

Archived