the house that Gulliver is building.

floridarob
This topic is 7386 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

THE ATLANTICO - Despite the problems that occur at the Atlantico, I am pretty comfortable there because I know it so well and as far as I know they are the best at dealing with the "visiting boys" issue - a very very critical one with me. I am staying there over carnival (in the 1401 suite) and would still recommend it to new visitors with these points in mind:

1. Use Carlo at Romanus to make your reservation as you will get a better rate than if you email or call the hotel. Rates are up and to optimize dont book yourself. There may be other ways to get the lowest room rate in addition to Carlo and perhaps someone else can provide them. You wil be paying a bit extra as compared to comprable hotels since we have been a driving force in making this hotel more popular. That is life and no way around it.

2. When you check in DO NOT PLAN ON YOUR ROOM BEING READY, stow your bags and avoid unfullfilled expectations. If there is a problem with a very late hour room availability, ask to speak to Monica the manager.

3. Be aware that the hotel plays games to optimize income and watch your bill - it is more a question of being disorganized rather than truly shifty however. Check your AC immediately upon entering the room and get it adjusted before you accept the room.

4. When making plans for your final day, be aware that late checkout is not always possible. Stow your bags with the bellman or in another m4m posters room. Maybe when it slows down after high season this will not be an issue.

5. The Atlantico hosts many m4m posters (making it ideal for me) and therefore for the solo traveler who wants to hang out with others will be able to do so easily. This will be unlikely in any other lodging situation. It is nice to head back to the Atlantico en masse after a nite at Corujinha or to join others poolside or for breakfast.

In regards to the apartment, I'll post availability sometime around March 1 and will have some photos. It is a short term (6 month lease) in order to have a permanent place to stay during construction

and avoid unpacking and have a place to store things that will go in the new house. It is 2 blocks from Atlantico and the place operates as an apartment hotel. I will get the email address so ANY APARTMENTS they have are made available to all posters. Do not know what they charge a night. My apartment is 2400R a month plus phone and utilities. They probably all rent for about the same by the night or the week.

In regards to having this place in a magazine, I think it is a good possibility as the design is truly incredible and unlike any city casa I have ever imagined. The New York Times did a two page article on my NYC place and office December last year that was hilarious and the same writer is taking this joint collaboration with me and my RIo architectural team as a pretty novel approach to building. If you want to see the NY Times piece - email me and I will forward it to you. The architects have made the cover of EspacoD (a Brazilian house and garden mag) a few times and I think this will top everything they have done to date.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gulliver's house plans sound great to me. He showed me the site where he is building and the location can't be beat. I also got a tour of jake's new house (almost ready) down the street. These guys are going to make Rio an even better destination. Hooville South!

Gulliver, thanks for answering so expeditiously, and yes, I'd be interested in receiving the article re: your NYC abode and office, but take your time in doing this. Is there a way that I can have the article without having to download? I have yet to learn.

Suggestion: Since you will be in Rio during Carnaval-- have you thought about doing Apollus' Boat Trip to the green island and attending the Gala Gay Ball at Scala in Leblon? Although I thought and still think that the fee for the boat trip a little high ($80 last year and $90 this year)-- it was quite worthwhile and international in terms of the guests who went.

I can't remember from whom I purchased two tickets for the Scala Ball, but more than likely Carlo should have some.

My friend and I wore colorful masks and Hawaiian type shirts and long pants; it was fun but quite, quite packed. I freaked by the size of the crowd, and after a while told him that I must get out of there. (I remembered the fire that had occurred back east, and by my not being able to find the exits at the Scala, I became paranoid and had to leave.)

• 5 weeks later...

It's now a few weeks since my tour of Jake's house and outside view of Gulliver's. As there have been no posts lately about progress on either, I thought I'd lift up the topic again and get some sort of report.

Alas, Gulliver was not in Rio when I was there, so I never did get to meet him. Jake was a delightful help in many ways!

It's now a few weeks since my tour of Jake's house and outside view of Gulliver's. As there have been no posts lately about progress on either, I thought I'd lift up the topic again and get some sort of report.

Alas, Gulliver was not in Rio when I was there, so I never did get to meet him. Jake was a delightful help in many ways!

Guest Tomcal_

One point that was missed...There is going to be a "tomcal" suite, next to Gullivers(he said, so he can get the overflow/overbookings!)

This will be at a slight additional cost over the other rooms, but will have amenities that the other rooms in the house won't have...for example, several hundred boys will know the way to the room in the dark, you won't have to give them directions or a address! LOL

Guest Tomcal_

One point that was missed...There is going to be a "tomcal" suite, next to Gullivers(he said, so he can get the overflow/overbookings!)

This will be at a slight additional cost over the other rooms, but will have amenities that the other rooms in the house won't have...for example, several hundred boys will know the way to the room in the dark, you won't have to give them directions or a address! LOL

Tomcal's RIO suite

Hey Frigate,

The question is not whether your suite will cost more, the question really is whether it will ever be available since you seem to almost always be in residence in RIO yourself. As for the guys who know the way to your suite in the dark, a blind man could find that suite just by listening for the sounds coming from the room.

"oouuwww, Dougie, NO!!!!"

}(

Archived