the house that Gulliver is building.

floridarob
This topic is 7386 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I think it's a good thing Gulliver is building a house that people will be able to rent a room in...gst house style I guess he is doing I'm not totally sure.

I've noticed that the Atlantico must figure their product (or at least their perception of their product) warrants increases in room rates, mini-bar, phone calls and restaurant prices not to mention the catering prices...the 1st festa we had the price for food was 20 reis per person, the last Christmas dinner was 65 per person...they are increasing it to what the market will bear. They figure all the horny guys (gay & straight) will just pay the price for convenience.

I know some people will say the Atlantico is perfect and inexpensive still...I kind of disagree. I was in the hospitality business ( and maybe will return soon) so I am speaking from an inside knowledge of how hotels think and work.

As with anything in Brasil, we as Americans say well 150 of "their" dollars is ONLY 50 of "ours"...true but it is 150 dollars to them, the brasillians. And a 12 reis sandwich is only 4 dollars to us IS 12 dollars to them. Anyway I guess what I am saying is it is highly priced, just ask any boy you take back with you and tell them what you are paying and watch the expression on their face as to say "silly gringos". I am sure Tri will concur as he has been smart enough not to stay there, right tri?

So onto Gullivers place...I hope he will answer this to let everyone know what his plans are as to the type of operation he has planned.

How many on here have stayed at a Gay B&B? I've stayed at about 6 in all, some I've liked some I've disliked. The things I like about a B&B vs a hotel are:

1. meeting for dinner in the house with other guests and trying meals (not males)that I wouldnt normally order, plus they are usually included in the price.

2. Having time with the owner of the place that knows the local attractions and nightlife better than a straight hotel.

3. Coming in with friends late at night without glares from front desk staff.

4. The friendliness that comes with return visits.

What are some things you guys like or dislike about B&B's?

Yeah, I'm a friend of Gullivers but I dont really care who has this thing built whether it is him or billyz or totallyoz but I think it offers a good location, upscale accomodations and another place for us to get together for any M4M festas without going through the crap or the mood at the Atlantico!

Talk to you guys later, as many know I took a year off from work and the year is up...so off to work I go and become a "dreamer" of time off again!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only stayed at the Atlântico once. The price was right and the service/accommodations were good. I can understand, though, that with their success they're raising their prices. If demand is high and their rooms are full, they can afford to do that.

Gulliver's B&B idea is a good one; if rates are reasonable (in line with the services/luxury provided) I'm sure it'll be a success, because there aren't any good gay pousadas in Rio that I know of. Even if competitors open, Gulliver's does have location, location, location going for it!

The house that Gulliver built sounds like it has everything going for it. And most important is that he sounds like he will be the Perle Mesta of Rio. I have noticed that the Atlantico has had a change of attitude towards us and is not as user-friendly as it used to be. The price increase, the attitude of the desk personnel, the having to register visitors, it is all taking away from the original ambience I felt the first time I stayed there. I love the location but now there another alternative, namely Casa Gulliver, in the same location. Who needs the hassle and attitude of the Atlantico? I met Mike (Gulliver) on one of my early trips and found him to be warm, friendly, fun, extremely generous, and as frisky as the rest of us (with the exception being Tomcal, who is impossible to keep up with). I imagine Mike will be just as welcoming in his new place, once it is ready. I am excited about staying in a "home", not a sterile hotel room. And Mike assures me all that there will be a steady stream of gorgeous Cariocas to rub my back. (I made that last part up, but you have to admit that it does sound like a good suggestion.) The place sounds like it will be a beautiful. I am sure it will be a knockout and lack none of the creature comforts. I also had this bright idea. Mike, would you consider holding the October-November soiree in your new place? Sounds like the ideal spot. Hope you don't think it is too presumptuous of me to suggest it. I for one would love to sit around a kitchen table and kibbitz with other M4Mer's. Much more comfortable than the Atlantico rooftop. And what would be better than having a Brazilian beauty to cuddle up with near a fireplace and waterfall? Naked, of course. Take care. Robbguy

Some ideas of what might happen with this new house:

THE FESTA The house will probably be ready for late October and after. If you as a group want to have a festa and can fix a date - no problem. I think it would be better to wait until April or so before making an announcement to make sure construction is on schedule. I plan to be there for Thanksgiving and wanted to have a house party anyway so if the Festa date posters want occurs then - it is ideal. Any other time from late october thru the end of the year will work. There would be room for a few other posters to have the guest suites. Since the house is four stories with a courtyard connecting them - it would likely work very well for a party rain or shine. I know three of the other posters who would come and we could put on the food with no problem. Everyone pitches in $10 apiece - drinks are all covered. Since enough of us are there on a regular basis now and a couple of the boys are going to be working and living in the house -the local talent will be (as usual) eager for a party. Probably on or about April 20th, Ill start a thread to see if anyone is interested in having a Festa or if not who wants to be there for a Thanksgiving event.

B & B Depends on scheduling. The six months I am not in Rio, the place is for rent (in whole or part) thru Carlo Romanus. Whether or not this can ever function as a regular B&B depends on his thoughts about what is workable. During the six months I am there, there are probably going to be an extra 2 to 4 suites not occupied by posters I already know. It would be fun to have others joins us - & hang out with each other and our local companions during the day. I would imagine it would be a regular event for a couple of us to fix a big meal and sit around the courtyard before heading out or staying in. There will be 2 live in houseboys around the clock who know the locals (maybe Eduardo can be persuaded to share his black organizer) and a housekeeper to clean and fix breakfast. IN OTHER WORDS, ALL VERY INFORMAL. Pretty much just limited to frineds and M4M posters who want to be in a big house with others rather than a hotel. I am still working and this is more of a hobby than a real business. Won't be any phone bills, internet charges, mini bars, etc, etc, etc - just a flat fee with all the conveniences I can think of. There will be a computer in each suite networked, there will be a place to make cheap calls using cards, and a refrigerator/coffee maker/ in each room and such stuff like you would have at a hotel. I guess if you are hungry you would just go into the kitchen and fix yourself something. This is Carlo's expertise and he will organize it as it evolves.

As soon as the architects are finished with their final plans and the drawings, I will post a web address for anyone who would be interested in seeing what is happening. Thanks to those of you who gave ideas and a "thats a good idea" stamp. Anyone who has any ideas about what they think would make for a good guesthouse is welcome to share them. Would like to hear more about what people want and what they don't.

hey funseeker, i like the mirror idea. Thought about having king size beds with mirrored wall in back and maybe mirrored doors on the built in closet unit ! A little bordello look can kind of work.

Not worried about Tomcal being disruptive. From telephone reports from his various friends tonight - he has already extended his trip one day. There are also reports that since he is sitting in first class there is a chance that he might miss out on one garoto session if he has to wait for friends further back in the plane to be fingerprinted and catch a taxi jointly. He will be so busy on overdrive I wonder whether we will see him !

)Reticent, reserved Axiom is up to this new and exciting adventure for you-- Gulliver. I really like your tastes in men (bois)--Marivas and that hunk you introduced me to from (I've forgotten the place), but I still have an indelible image of him in the doorway of the hotel as well as at breakfast...Oouch!!:9

Are you going to have 2 hunky carioca doormen 24/7 in this gated community, or is there a guard for all denizens of this particular block?

Lastly-- please give my thumbs up and regards to TomCal; he slipped into Rio before I could send my good wishes and have a great trip to him! :-)

Hey Gulliver,

The more I hear and see about the "palace", the more excited I get.

I note that most of the floors seem to have an openess to them that really is cool. i wonder how that affects the temperature in the rooms? I mean, will each room have a ceiling fan or something to offset not only the warm nights, but the heat generated by the men at play? Just asking.

I am looking forward to visiting sometime when you are ready to have customers.

Had dinner last week at a local upscale place here in Encino, CA called RIO Grille where the menu is Churrasco (sp?) Great capirhinias (hell I still can't spell those) and the various meats were great with all the traditional side dishes. There were even some hot cruise bait men in the bar area, but nothing takes the place of that night we went to Porcao.

See you soon I hope, and please say hello to Tomcal.

:D

Gulliver, you might have addressed this previously, but I thought it apt to ask. You will have four floors. How many bd rooms/suites per floor, and will each have its own bath/shower or will there be a few rooms with shared facilities? I'd also presume that you'll have central air, or is my presumptuousness being too much.

My inquiring mind will await patiently for your response! Axiom

WOW!!! sounds like BIG fun!!! I'll start collecting my milk money TODAY for Rio trip ;) by the way, shared bathrooms will add an exitement to the place. I stayed in a B&B in Toronto once, and i liked it much more than a hotel. And a total friendly atmosphere you're planning there - like going down to the kitchen, open the fridge doors and grab a sandwich, checking the hot doorman at the same time... what i can say? - just WOW again!!!:9

Just got back from a weekend trip to Rio mainly to meet with the architects and look at the "close to final" plans. Had dinner with Carlo (from Romanus) and also with three of the local friends who are interested in living/working there - one who just finished hotel/restaurant school in Rio. Here is the update:

BUILDING Basically there are four floors and it is kind of a Spanish Villa with a central courtyard but with many Indonesian influenced elements. Main floor has a patio with a pond that spills down into a gym/common room half way below grade. There is also a kitchen, open dining room, living room, and elevator. The below grade area has an office, laundry, two service rooms/bath, and a suite.

The third floor is 3 suites and the rooftop has a pool, outdoor kitchen, garden, and 2 bedroom penthouse. All of the suites have their own bath and some sort of an outdoor space. The pool cascades 3 floors to the courtyard which then flows unto a water wall that opens into a common room. The bathrooms are mostly stone and antique ceramic tiles. Furniture is being custom made by the architect and a lot of antique elements. (I KNOW !!)

CLIMATE CONTROL There is full AC and no heat other than gas fireplaces in most bedrooms and two outdoor fireplaces in gathering areas. There are ceiling fans for non-hot seasons and all of the rooms open fully to the outdoors. Most are shuttered.

PRIVACY Have to wait until they build the scale model to asess this.

One can have soundproof walls and floors but with the whole house very open - I am not sure what to say. I want the place to feel very much like a private home with guests on different levels and there are no "off limit" areas to speak off.

AMENITIES Very little decided yet. Mostly fits under the final decorating scheme and does not involve the architects. But, all rooms will have a refrigerator, safe, TV, computer, phone system. Anything else depends on what the people who would be interested in staying in a place like this suggest. Probably a library area with books, CD, DVD,Tapes, Scrabble, etc... Open kitchen (Huge with fireplace) and guest pantry area. 2 BBQ's for those who wish to grill.

STAFF Right now (and this can change) Eduardo has an interest along with 2 other locals in living there. There will probably be someone on duty 24/7 in 12 hour shifts - one part timer who can work FRI-SAT-SUN (possibly Carlos the security guard many of us know). Eduardo speaks English and has a lot of interest in providing some sorts of food service - something which he is keen on. Probably would be very informal. I Imagine that there will be a supply of food so guests -

can just help themselves. There would be coffee and baked goods from the bakery around the corner. Anything else I guess would be provided by Eduardo or fixed by guests (or groups of guests) themselves. DOnt quite know how this would work and much depends on what staff are good at and are committed to providing. So much of this B and B concept are informal - like me fixing dinner on Saturday night when I am there and kind of just remain to be seen.

B AND B Carlo feels this is a great idea as have some other posters. I like the idea myself but just am not certain as to how to do scheduling, etc.. It will be easy to rent out the house completely but I dont know if might be too difficult to do anything other than renting out a room or 2 or 3 to posters for at least a week. Will talk more to carlo about how he sees this working. Any ideas guys ???

I think there is a need for a place to stay that is beautiful and fun. This weekend at the Atlantico was a disaster as I was in three different rooms during a 60 hour stay as their were AC problems. Had to wait for my reserved room and the longest they could delay checkout was till 1 PM. And according to the manager, I am their biggest and most frequent guest. They took out the AC in 1201 twice and replace it with one that worked. At about 130AM on Friday, that one would not even turn on. They refused to move me to a room with a double bed as they were saving them for the following day. When I threatened to check out - they then allowed me a double as long as I would be out by 9 AM. It was a pain. I did not quite feel like their #1 guest.

For those posters I know, I have rented a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment until the house is done on the corner of Barata Ribeira and Siquera Campos. It will be available complete or one bedroom from 3/1/04 until 9/1/04.

Gulliver

Gulliver, I think the B&B concept would work fine. My suggestion would be to let Carlo (or someone else) handle all of the bookings and to avoid all of those hassles yourself. You can just be the gracious host! :-)

To keep track of what's going on, there's undoubtedly an off-the-shelf hotel reservation program you can buy that you can access whether you're in Rio or anywhere else to see what's reserved, who's coming, who's there, etc. Considering all the zillions of lodging establishments out there, I'm sure you won't have to reinvent any wheels to do this! And I suspect those programs also help deal with things like cleaning schedules, laundry, inventories, etc. I'm sure there's some M4Mer in the hospitality industry who could make some suggestions about what would be a good program to use. You'd just want to be sure that it's available in English/Portuguese versions!

It sounds like the plans are shaping up beautifully! A library with books in English (especially travel guides and other books about Brazil) sounds like a great idea. So are some DVDs. Otherwise, you may find you don't need lots of stuff to "entertain" your visitors. Rio's a big city, with so much to do (including all the saunas just steps away) that you probably won't need to worry much about keeping your guests occupied the way you'd need to do if you were setting up an inn on a remote island!

Oh, a couple of thoughts: before the plans are set in stone, ask the architects to make sure the place is handicap accessible and (if necessary) look at U.S. codes for assuring that. We're all getting older, and the day may come when you or your guests may have some serious mobility issues! The other thing to ask about is an emergency back-up generator. Rio still has power outages, and you're going to have multi-floors and an elevator and possibly a fridge/freezer full of food that could go bad right when you've got a full house! With a back-up generator you can avoid unpleasant surprises during the inevitable tropical downpours!

See ya next week when I abandon the frigid Midwest to return to Rio. . . Dying to see the drawings!

Gulliver,

Thanks for the update addressing the climate control and other issues. Gosh, your place is going to be something awesome. I wish I could retire and go to work for you!.

I am surprised by the problems you had with the Atlantico this past weekend. I am not surprised by their actions, as you recall , I couldn't get into my reserved room upon my arrival. I just am surpirsed they would do that to you. You are clearly their best customer.

Hope you and the rest had fun this weekend. I heard from Lucky that they were having a good time. did you get a chance to meet him?

When is Tomcal coming home? This is dull city when he is not here.

x(

Guest msclonly

Competition for the Atlantico!

The air conditioning was a problem for me at the Atlantico, also!

First nite in a TOO large Exec suite, it was ice cold and turned to maximum cold without the control knob to adjust it. Then I realized, more of a standard room was reserved and got switched. Again it was ice cold and no control knob, but had the desk send someone to adjust it to shut off, when it got to near comfortable.

The other problem is the bad water at the hotel.

Was wondering, if you are planning a 'full house' water filter system to remove all bugs, sentiments and chemicals. I have had a full house filter in the last three homes- one in Rancho Mirage, CA and two here in San Diego. Removed all the chlorine, etc with a tankful of activated charcoal and a Quartz rod to condition the water. Comes out better then Evian water. Good for the skin and hair, as well as, the internal organs! Lasts at least for 10 years before replacing the charcoal, which can be heated to 3000 degrees to volatize the impurities and used again or just replaced. It self cleans by backwashing on a time schedule, you can set for about every one to two weeks depending on use.

I have to laugh, since the palm trees and garden here get pure water without the city water chlorinamines, that is so bad for plants and people. Plants stay green, and there is less damage to human immune systems with cancer causing chemicals. Infectious agents are also removed. This is becoming MORE and MORE important due to deteriorating public water supply and the numerous chemicals added, like alkaline caustics used to raise the pH to keep the pipes from leaking. Also very bad for our health! Ever wonder why there is so much more cancer and leukemias, etc?

This would be the one major addition to your 'palace by the sea' with the state of the city water supplies around the world!

Or is it 'casa' or Palacio?

Will you be having a contest to name the villa?

I want to be at the christening!

:p

RE: Competition for the Atlantico!

The water filter is a good suggestion. Central filtering systems are actually pretty common in Brazil and Gulliver's engineers will know where to get one. Rio's water comes from a river and reservoir system up in the mountains, and it is treated but the tap water is pretty highly chlorinated and it tastes MUCH better after it's passed through a filter.

BTW, all of the good hotels have central filters. I suppose that's one reason you don't hear of visitors to Brazil getting sick from the water the way they do in some other countries.

RE: Competition for the Atlantico!

Thanks for the great ideas. Regarding making the house fully accessible - when I originally tought of how I wanted the place to function - it seemed critical to have a full commercial elevator. As

it turns out, in Brazil, one can have a regular Otis elevator for less than one of the smaller rickety home jobs. That is what is being installed. The engineer has planned for a full generator.

In terms of water, The architects are very "green" oriented. They have saved every brick, tile, stone, window, and beam from the old house. It is all in storage to be reused. They (and I ) feel that there is much beauty in the patina of old building materials. The new materials come from Petropolis and are all "reclaimed." In terms of the water, they have designed a filtered 12000 gallon cistern in the lower leverand holding tanks of 3000 gallons on the roof in order to reduce use of city water. BUT, the engineer and the architects believe only bottled water should be used for drinking NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF FILTER SYSTEM IS USED. I do not understand quite why this is so and will question them when I return Feb 23rd.

As soon as they emial me their latest floor plans and sketches I will post a web address so all of you who are into architecture can take a peek. They surpassed all of my expectations by far.

Guest msclonly

Pure Water is necessary for washing as well as Emergency drinking!

Most faucet filters are next to useless, especially from the looks of the water at the Atlantico. Don't even think of sneaking it's use for brushing your teeth!

A full activated charcoal filter system should be used to pass all water through it for any use in the house. With the Quatz rod conditioning the molecules of water to susupend them, there are no deposits and less soap can be used for any purpose.

The that color in the water at the hotel had anything to do with IRON content, then a Iron filter would be necessary.

Your architect maybe accurate, that bottled water may still be necessary, but I would interested in hearing about what kind of filters he is talking about?

Your project sounds absolutely fascinating! I envy your plans!

:p

Guest msclonly

RE: Pure Water is necessary for washing as well as Emergency drinking!

Sorry, the Quartz rod suspends the minerals (like Ca, Mg, etc) in the water.

Gulliver, your plans sound so enticing and delightful; your descriptions conjured up images of places in AD and Elle Decor and Metropolitan Home. Perhaps after a year or so, you might consider having your RIo residence featured in one or both of the latter magazines.

Does the apartment to which you allude have a site on the internet? What are the rates? From all of the problems you unnecessarily and unfortunately encountered at our once favorite hotel, do you think it is time for someone to scout another hotel that allows visitors to have guests and an a/c system that can be adjusted by the occupant of the room?

Thanks for answering all questions! :-)

RE: Pure Water is necessary for washing as well as Emergency drinking!

In my own case (and I don't recommend this to anyone who is squeamish about it) I do drink filtered Rio tap water, and brush my teeth with unfiltered water. (If the toothpaste doesn't kill the germs, then what good is it?) My apartment has an under-sink filter in the kitchen, and the water tastes great! The filter element itself has to be replaced approximately once every six months, according to my plumber. To my knowledge, I've never caught a water-borne illness in Brazil. (I did catch amoebas right in sub-tropical San Francisco, though!)

Virtually every middle-class Brazilian home or apartment has a water filter system to provide drinking water. Ordinarily, the filters will get the common bugs that might infect someone, and they certainly improve the taste of Rio's heavily chlorinated water. However, only special filters will eliminate some of the very small nasty bugs that can be particular problems for people with compromised immune systems, and those people should ONLY use bottled water. Fortunately, there are many good brands in Brazil, and it's very cheap.

Fruits and vegetables that are to be eaten raw (unless they're going to be peeled first before eating) should be washed carefully. Germicidal tablets and solutions for dissolving in the water in which the vegetables should be soaked are sold in the supermarkets, but they're really just chlorine. You can add about 10 - 15 drops of plain old bleach to the tapwater in the pan in which you're going to soak the fruits/veggies and it'll accomplish the same thing. Just let the vegetables/fruit soak in the solution for about 30 minutes before drying and using. Gulliver, this is something you and your kitchen staff will need to get used to doing, because it isn't something we ordinarily do back home.

Archived