Curiosity - "Red Bull" soft-drinks

imrthr
This topic is 7542 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have read several postings on this board in connection with Red Bull soft-drinks that Brazilian sauna guys enjoy. There were postings concerning having a sufficient supply of it for the 10/27 party. At the time I read the postings, I never heard of Red Bull.

Today I was at the market and for the first time, saw cans of Red Bull soft-drinks. The cans come in packages of four and cost around $2.00 for each can. Based on reading this board's postings, I had assumed that Red Bull was indigenous to Brazil. However, the label on each can shows that it was manufactured in Austria! Now comes my cusiosity. How is it that an Austrian soft-drink that is expensive even by U.S. standards found its way to be a favorite drink of Brazilians? This is not a complaint about the cost, its just an inquiry made from curiosity.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE: Curiosity -

Red bull is an energy drink that is basically full of caffeine. The boys will like it becuase it allows them to stay energetic for longer periods of time. It has been heavlily marketed in many countries though i'm not sure it does all that the brasilian boys think it does.

BTW I still have that coupon if anyone is interested.

Do you mean Austria - or Australia? It's a pretty big item here among teenagers, though health authorities are concerned because of its high caffeine and sugar content. I wouldn't be surprised to find it was one of our few exports to Brazil. In return, Brazil seems to supply most of our office paper.

Guest Tomcal_

They have done a great marketing job here in the U.S.! I would describe it as a "citrus" tasting type drink. In Rio the first time I had it, they used it as a mixer with Johnny Walker Red Scotch! Sounds terrible, but actually was pretty good, that was at Rogers Sauna.

Red Bull and whiskey is a popular mixed drink among the younger set in Brazil these days, probably for exactly the reasons mentioned.

Besides being unbelievably laced with caffeine (which hardly ever affects me when I drink it in coffee) I find Red Bull tooth-achingly sweet, but that's not exactly a disadvantage in sugar-loving Brazil!

I don't know where Red Bull originated, but it's made under license in Brazil, although they charge nearly as much for it as they do here. Whoever cooked up the stuff has done a brilliant marketing job! There are a number of local knock-offs that are less expensive, but nobody much seems to buy them. The boys know what they want: their authentic "Hedgie Bully!" (The Brazilian pronunciation of this marvel of marketing!)

At the bars and saunas in Brazil, Red Bull goes for about R$8. We're trying to get it for the party for about R$4.95 by buying it in bulk at Makro, a Brazilian equivalent of Costco or Sam's Club. Stay tuned.

Guest icon513

Red Bull is actually the invention of a Thai company. Energy drinks are hugely popular here for the "lift" they give truck drivers, farmers, and factory workers. There must be two dozen different brands on the market.

The formula was licensed out to an Austrian company for worldwide distribution, and boy did they ever run with it. They altered the taste and carbonated it (here in Thailand, Red Bull comes in a tiny bottle, is uncarbonated, and is syrupy -- almost like cough syrup), and now it is hugely popular almost everywhere.

>I find Red Bull tooth-achingly sweet, but that's

>not exactly a disadvantage in sugar-loving Brazil!

Red Bull is also available in a sugar-free diet version. :) It may taste just as sweet (I haven't tried a side-by-side taste test), but at least is has less than one calorie per serving.

Do you think the guys in Rio would be interested in diet Red Bull?

...Hoover

As far as I know, Diet Red Bull isn't available in Brazil, unless it's been launched there since June.

I think I know the guaraná soft drink you're talking about. It doesn't taste as good as the Brazilian ones, and it's also super-laced with caffeine.

An alternative: learn to drink mate, the South American tea that's a national obsession in Southern Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay and Argentina. It's quite bitter and herbaceous tasting, but it will definitely wake you up before an evening out! And once you get used to the taste it's not bad at all. My understanding is that mate contains mateine, a relative of caffeine with similar effects, but it doesn't cause the jitters or upset stomachs that caffeine does. There must be something to that, because people in those countries drink GALLONS of the stuff daily. Literally. In southern Brazil and Uruguay, especially, if you see people carrying thermoses in little slings it's hot water for brewing their mate. People will drink it on the street, in the buses, wherever!

In Brazil, you can buy mate in the supermarkets or snack bars pre-made, in a sweetened iced-tea version (look for bottles of Mate Leão or similar). I don't know if the mateine content is as potent as in the home brewed version, though.

Guest harlanblake2002

To my opinion I eat Brazilian is that the boys like redbull only because of the price and not by the taste or by the caffeine from the beverage! !!!Eduardo from point202!!!!!!;)

Guest harlanblake2002

Correct message:To my opinion I'am Brazilian,is that the boys like redbull only because of the price,and not by the taste,or by the caffeine from the beverage! !!!Eduardo from point202!!!!!!

Guest harlanblake2002

Correct message:To my opinion I'am Brazilian,is that the boys like redbull only because of the price,and not by the taste,or by the caffeine from the beverage! !!!Eduardo from point202!!!!!!

Archived