Brazilian Consulate in Los Angeles no longer backlogged

imrthr
This topic is 7542 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Thanks to all for the many interesting posts concerning my reporting of initial problems that I had in getting my visa from the Los Angeles (Beverly Hills) Brazilian Consulate. If you recall, I deferred getting the visa due to my frequent out-of-the-country schedule and for the time requirement to obtain the visa. I was initially told that getting my visa would take "more than one week."

Yesterday morning I reapplied for my visa and I got it today (a one-day turnaround). This was a pleasant contrast from when I initially applied.

Today, being my usual curious and tactful self, I asked the person behind the window "why the change in processing time." I was told that Los Angeles now has a new Consul and that he began work just last week. Prior to his arrival, there was a delay getting the visa signed.

The new process vacates the initial unpleasantness associated with my attempt. I now have a five-year visa and I am officially authorized to go the Brazil. And that is good, grand, great, swell and fun, isn't it?

By the way, is anyone who is travelling to Rio in October, flying out on United Airlines to Rio on 10/21 (arriving Rio 10/22)?

Guest msclonly

RE: Brazilian Consulate in Los Angeles no longer backlo...

Strange, I was there yesterday the 24th and was told they were TOO BUSY to get it back to me before OCt 14th. I think it was based on my flight schedule of the 22nd. When I returned from the Post Office with the Express Prepaid Envelope, the elderly couple at the window were told they could pick up their Visas on Oct 8th. Based on their departure date, I would bet!

x( :-( }( :7

I turned in my application yesterday (10-03-03) and have an appointment on Oct 14 to pick it up.. I am surprised they didn't hassle me since my visa pic looks like someone going before the parole board.

I still can't believe this is going to happen.

:p

I have seen that pic. If I were on the parole board I'd give you the parole everytime.

Have fun in Rio, boys. I will have to make do with mooning over some of the hot Brazilian men who live in my S. Florida area. They refer to the area as "Rio with money". Same weather but better paying jobs. We even have a por kilo type restaurant. The foods good but even better is the smoking hot guys who smile at you when you stare at them.

Jeff

Well, you hit the nail on the head in describing the difference between the U.S. and Brazil. People SMILE! Especially when you smile at them! Guys who've been spending months or years working out are flattered and pleased when you notice and admire the results, instead of offended and outraged that you look at them! Catching the eye of a handsome stranger across a crowded room or disco will also get you a smile and an acknowledgment, even if he isn't interested in you "that way." And if he is, watch out, because "smokin'" is an understatement of the volcanic activities that can happen when the two of you hook up! After experiencing life in the Latin world (of which Miami certainly is a part) I'm really surprised that the word "passion" exists in the English vocabulary, because your average Latin has more passion in his ankle or elbow than we Anglos have in our entire pasty bodies! ;) It's a glimpse of that you're getting in those smoky looks across the "por kilo" restaurant you visit!

Gringo, I'm sure, can put this much better than I do, but you've definitely described part of the magic that keeps us going back to Latin America. And back, and back, and back. . .

Guest Gringo

The magic is very difficult to explain in words. But its definitely there. It's in a smile, in the twinkle of an eye, in the passion beyond the business. These boys are having fun and you're invited!!:+

Guest msclonly

The Passport returned today about 6 days ahead of schedule.

Am grateful that they did not use the last three empty pages for their Visa sticker. Put it on another poorly used page.

So it took 2 weeks with use of Express Mail return.

Better then I expected.

:)

Guest msclonly

The Passport returned today about 6 days ahead of schedule.

Am grateful that they did not use the last three empty pages for their Visa sticker. Put it on another poorly used page.

So it took 2 weeks with use of Express Mail return.

Better then I expected.

I really hope I'm invited.

I met a 28 yr old radiology tech named Fabio from outside of Sao Paolo who works at the local hospital. Think Bruno Gaucho color on a taller guy. He volunteered to practice Portuguese with me.

When he asked "Why do you want to go to Brazil?". I said because I thought Brasilians were the most beautiful people in the world. He paused for a minute and gave me like a million watt smile in response.

Now if only invites me inside his pants. :p

Thanks for the responses guys. Have fun in Rio jackhammer and the other firsttimers.

Jeff

I really hope I'm invited.

I met a 28 yr old radiology tech named Fabio from outside of Sao Paolo who works at the local hospital. Think Bruno Gaucho color on a taller guy. He volunteered to practice Portuguese with me.

When he asked "Why do you want to go to Brazil?". I said because I thought Brasilians were the most beautiful people in the world. He paused for a minute and gave me like a million watt smile in response.

Now if only invites me inside his pants. :p

Thanks for the responses guys. Have fun in Rio jackhammer and the other firsttimers.

Jeff

Guest msclonly

The Passport returned with a Receipt with 100$Reals stamps for processing fee. So I am wondering what happened with the other 200$ Reals leftover from my check of $100.00US?

They probably used R$100 real stamps because they don't have dollar-denominated stamps. But as long as the U.S. is charging Brazilians US$100 for visas, Brazil will be charging us the same. That's just the way they do it, and everyone pays the same. Well, all Americans do, anyway.

I'm not sure what the money is used for, but I suspect most of it is used to help run the consulate; they tend to be underfunded, so this is extra revenue they can use to beef up their staffs and perhaps pay them a little extra. On Brazilian salaries, it's very expensive to live in the U.S., and even though I assume consular staff get some kind of COLA, it's still not likely to be enough!

Archived