Entry requirements for Brazil

imrthr
This topic is 7597 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have been reading all the facinating posts concerning Rio. I am all psyched up to go there. I have never been to Rio and had previously limited my travels to Montreal & certain European destinations. In scheduling my flight, I was told by the airline that I must have a Visa and that I cannot obtain the Visa without applying in person to the Brazil Embassy or consulate. That is not the reason for this posting. My concern is that I was also told that I must take a "yellow fever" shot prior to arrival in Brazil and that I must bring with me, proof of the innoculation. I checked the State Department website and learned that indeed the yellow fever shot is required. (see below)

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: A passport and visa are required for U.S. citizens traveling to Brazil for any purpose. Brazilian visas must be obtained in advance from the Brazilian Embassy or consulate nearest to the traveler's place of residence. There are no "airport visas," and immigration authorities will refuse entry to Brazil to anyone not possessing a valid visa. All Brazilian visas, regardless of the length of validity, must initially be used within 90 days of the issuance date or will no longer be valid. Immigration authorities will not allow entry into Brazil without a valid visa. The U.S. Government cannot assist travelers who arrive in Brazil without proper documentation. Additionally, visitors must present an inoculation card indicating they had a yellow fever inoculation or they may not be allowed to board the plane or enter the country. (

The yellow fever shot requirement causes me to wonder how great a threat yellow fever is while visiting in Rio. I would appreciate any posts from recent travelers to Rio who have encountered this requirement and/or whether yellow fever is a real concern in Rio. Thanks

You don't need a yellow fever shot or certificate to visit Rio or virtually any of the major cities. You will not be asked for a yellow fever certificate to get a visa, nor will you be asked for it at the Rio or São Paulo airports.

If you ever intend to go to the Amazon, the Pantanal, or other jungle locations, you should get the yellow fever shot before you go. (You can get it in Brazil for less than what it would cost in the U.S.) You might be asked to show proof of inoculation if you go to Manaus or other Amazonian locations, if you fly to other parts of Brazil from there, or if you arrive in Brazil from another country where yellow fever is endemic. Needless to say, if you're arriving directly from the U.S. or Europe, that won't be the case.

The shot itself (and the certificate) are good for ten years. When I took the shot years ago, it wasn't a big deal. I had less reaction to it than I usually have to a flu shot. However, people do react to shots differently, so if you're going to have the yellow fever or any other travel shots, I strongly recommend getting them on a Friday (and schedule nothing over the weekend) so you don't have to take time off from work just because you get a bit sick from the shot. If for some reason you do develop a sore arm, other aches and pains, or a bit of a fever after a shot, try the usual painkillers, like aspirin or ibuprofen. They usually do the trick for me.

When do visas expire?

I visited Brazil about a year and a half ago. How long is the visa valid? I've studied the Brazilian Consulate’s web site but couldn't find the answer.

If it has expired, is it safe to mail my passport to their consulate? There isn't a consulate in my state.

Thanks Tri- You are correct, as usual. The person at the airline only advised me of the Brazil requirements in connection with going into other areas of Brazil.

The American State Department website is in conflict with what is written on the Brazilian Consulate website. The American site states that a yellow fever shot is required while the Brazilian site states it is only "advisable" if traveling further into Brazil. Anyway, it is good to know that I do not need the shot and that yellow fever is not a problem in Rio. I was, however, a bit surprised about the $110.00 visa "fee" in that $100.00 of the fee is a "riciprocity fee" because America charges Brazilians $100.00 for an American visa. I often travel to other countries and I have never encountered the requirement to first apply for a visa, pay such a fee, and use the visa within 90 days from issuance or the visa becomes invalid. Hmmm, seems a little harsh.

Bubbie, it's NOWHERE as harsh as the shit we make Brazilians and other foreigners go through to get a U.S. visa. If Americans were only dimly aware of how ugly our visa process is, there'd be a national scandal. (Except among the no-necks who want to keep out all foreigners so America can somehow be "pure.") The $110 fee you mention probably consists of $100 visa fee (exactly what we charge foreigners who apply for a U.S. visa) plus $10 mailing and handling. There shouldn't be any problem mailing your passport to the Brazilian Consulate. If you're concerned, send it registered or express mail (something trackable) and enclose a pre-paid return express mail envelope and label for the Consulate to send the stamped passport back to you.

Anyway, in answer to the other question, the Brazilian visa must be used for the first time within 90 days of issuance or it becomes invalid. People have been denied entry into Brazil because they first arrived after 90 days had passed from when they got their visa, so don't risk it.

Once the visa has been used for the first time (within 90 days of issuance) it remains valid for multiple entries for five years from the date of issue. EACH INDIVIDUAL ENTRY IS GOOD FOR 90 DAYS. If you plan to stay longer than 90 days, you either have to leave the country and return, or get an extension in-country through the Polícia Federal. In the latter case, don't wait until the 90th day to apply for the extension, because it can take a couple of days to do all the paperwork and running around involved.

it's NOWHERE as harsh as the shit we make Brazilians

>and other foreigners go through to get a U.S. visa. If

>Americans were only dimly aware of how ugly our visa process

>is, there'd be a national scandal. (Except among the no-necks

>who want to keep out all foreigners so America can somehow be

>"pure.")

Thanks again for the information. I am aware of the nonsense that INS pulls on foreign visitors. My foreign relatives come to the U.S. twice each year and have done so for many years. Their passports reflect the entries of each visit. Yet, each and every time they come here, the go through stupid questions and luggage searches and hassles.

No, I am not one of the "no-necks" who think (foolishly) that America should be pure. My father was not born in this country and was a very productive individual. Furthermore, when I travel to foreign countries, and I often do, I am the foreigner and I am very much aware of that fact.

I just want to add one more thing about the entry requirement for Brazil. Merely because America is unfriendly to visitors and charges Brazilians $100.00 for a visa and puts Brazilians through a bunch of bull, does not justify Brazil immigration to create the appearance of not wanting to promote and welcome tourism to Brazil.

When it comes to visas and fees and such, Brazil is very big into reciprocity. So it's a tit-for-tat situation, and Brazil has every right to apply reciprocity (which the U.S. also does, by the way).

However, I agree with you that it doesn't encourage tourism. If I were the president of Brazil, I'd work to abolish the visa requirement for U.S. citizens. Just because countries have the right to act reciprocally doesn't mean they HAVE to exercise the right, and there are many countries that don't require a visa for U.S. visitors, even though the U.S. requires a visa of their citizens. I assume most such countries recognize that they don't have floods of illegal immigrants from the U.S. and that almost every U.S. visitor to their country will return home at the end of their stay! I'm also sure that most countries also recognize the heightened security concerns in the U.S. since 9/11, and understand why the U.S. is trying to be cautious.

Still, the U.S. is unusual, because our immigration law REQUIRES explicitly that everyone who wants to come here be automatically considered an intending immigrant unless and until they prove otherwise. This is diametrically opposed to the way most other countries operate. Their immigration laws provide for visitor entries without presuming that every visitor intends to immigrate there. They still manage to control their borders, and reserve the right to refuse entry to someone who looks like they intend to overstay their visa, but they don't put prospective visitors through the third-degree the U.S. does. (The EU is probably the prime example of how this works. If a young, single male shows up at one of their airports with only a one-way ticket and no visible means of being able to support himself for an extended stay in Europe, odds are good that he will be turned back and sent home on the next flight. But there's nowhere near the nastiness involved in similar situations here in the U.S.)

Hey BigGuyinPasadena - When I lost my passport last November, I had to get muy new visa stamped at the Maritime Police (close to Mei Mundo). They would not do it unless went to the outher side of Rio (the Tourist Police) and filled out a report. Since I had to go cross town and all the way back to Centro and the Maritime Police close at 4PM - it was impossible and I had a flight back to US that night. Well, when I returned to the Maritime office at 4:10, the young policeman was still waiting, he spent much time looking at my documents and offered a ride on the back of his motorcycle to the Atlantico, Talk about frisking - I barely made my flight. Suggestion - lose your passport - you have no idea what a police search can entail !!!

Guest BottomBoyRandy8

Yesterday I went to the Brazilian consulate on Wilshire in Beverly Hills to get my visa. (It's in the Larry Flynt bldg at La Cienega)

Very easy, in and out in less than 15 minutes. I can't pick up my passport with visa for a week, seems that is the waiting time for

Brazilians to get a US visa also. The guy was very nice but made a point of letting me know the only reason I was being charged $100 is that the US also charges $100 for Brazilians. Fill out your application before you arrive and should be really an easy process.

I haven't gotten a Brazilian visa recently (my current one is still good for 4 years or so) but I think the Brazilian consulates will act faster on issuing a visa if you're leaving right away. In that case, be sure to bring a copy of your travel itinerary showing you're leaving in less than a week. They'll also expedite things (at least they would in the past) if you live out-of-town and won't be there to pick up the passport a week later. But otherwise Brazil is still doing the silly tit-for-tat thing, which is dumb because economically Brazil needs American tourism far more than the U.S. needs Brazilian tourism (although Disney World may not feel that way).

In Brazil, it took my friend from Porto Alegre more than 2 weeks to get his U.S. visa approved, and this is someone who's 67, fits no suspicious profile, and has already had a U.S. visa (he was renewing an expired one). The U.S. is now requiring face-to-face interviews to get a visa, which Brazil isn't doing, at least so far. That's a really burdensome and expensive requirement for anyone who lives far from a city with a consulate or embassy that issues visas. In Brazil, a country larger than the continental U.S., we've closed consulates and now there are only 4 places you can get a visa: Rio, SP, Recife and the embassy in Brasilia. So if you live in Manaus or Porto Alegre or anywhere else, you not only have to come up with the USD100 visa fee (non-refundable if your visa application is denied) you also have to pay for a trip to a distant city for the personal interview, because we're not sending interviewers to conduct interviews in other cities served by a particular consulate. The only people who don't have to be interviewed personally, apparently, are those under 16 or over 60 years of age. To put this into perspective, imagine the problems and expense if Brazil adopts the same policy, and someone who lives in Honolulu or Anchorage who doesn't have a Brazilian visa has to fly to San Francisco to be interviewed personally at the consulate! And then pay the USD100 visa fee on top of that! Plus has to pay for a (900) phone call to set up the visa appointment! (Which is what the U.S. does in Brazil!)

Guest BottomBoyRandy8

The only real difference that I see between Brazilian and US policy is that Brazil wants the toursits and their money and the US does not.

Not only that, but the US charges $100 for the visa application, and there is no refund if it is denied. You have to pay another $100 when you reapply. A friend of my Portuguese teacher was trying to come here from Rio, applied for a tourist visa, and was summarily turned down along with the other 50 or so people who were there that day. No wonder so much of the world is getting tired of us!

>Brazilian consulate on Wilshire in

>Beverly Hills to get my visa. I can't pick

>up my passport with visa for a week,

Uh-oh! Are we required to leave our passports with the consulate for "a week" in order to get a visa? I am often out of the country and need my passport on a moments notice. I wonder if I show proof that I travel so much whether I could get a visa while I wait or at least get the visa within a day. My passport authenticates (by numerous stamps from various countries) that I travel at least once every month to some foreign country. Does anyone know whether it could take longer than one week to have my passport returned?

Guest Tomcal_

the consulate is in the Hustler Magazine Corporate building,(larry Flynt building) on La Cienega and Wilshire. If you drop on on Monday morning, you can pick up on Weds. afternoon. If you can't do that, then you are going to miss a good party!!!

At least in the past, the Brazilian consulates were usually willing to work with people who have special situations like the one you describe. However, they're under orders from their foreign ministry, for whom they work, and I don't know how annoying they're being currently in reprisal for the shit we're making Brazilians (and everyone else) go through to get a visa. It doesn't cost anything to ask, though. So call them, describe your situation, and ask if there's any way the visa issuance can be expedited so you're not without your passport for an extended period of time.

BTW, a lot of countries still require visas for U.S. visitors (but none in the Western Hemisphere, as far as I know, except for Brazil). I imagine at least some of them are taking the same position Brazil is on reciprocal treatment. So we'd better get used to it. . .

>

>BTW, a lot of countries still require visas for U.S. visitors

>(but none in the Western Hemisphere, as far as I know, except

>for Brazil). I imagine at least some of them are taking the

>same position Brazil is on reciprocal treatment. So we'd

>better get used to it. . .

Thanks, Trilingual- This type of "riciprocity" does not promote tourism as we have already discussed. I am spoiled by that fact that for most countries, we either do not need a visa or we are furnished a visa through the airline on the day of departure. I will get to work on getting a Brazil visa pronto. Thanks for the help and comments.

P.S. to Tomcal- amusing that the consulate is located in the Larry Flint/Hustler Magazine building. Actually, Larry Flint is not such a bad guy; alter all, he is running for Governor of California-doubt he will win though.

Archived