RIO - Credit Card Fraud!

Guest Tomcal_
This topic is 7856 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tomcal_

Hey Guys, Today i got a call from my bank re: my visa card. Seems that there have been several charges the last two days totaling $750. U.S., charged in Rio. I got back from Rio 10 days ago. The bank said what happens is they get your card number, and this can be and probably is from the credit card receipt that is in the register of the store/restaurant/sauna/hotel and they just write down your number then they make a new plastic visa card with your number and their name on it. It takes the Card company 1 -2 days to catch it. as the charges come through with the wrong name on it. Not a problem for me as the charges are identified by the bank as fruadulant, but the hassle of waiting for a new card to arrive. They also said this is not unique to Brazil, happens in all countries. Also it is not the result of being careless, and not holding on to your receipts(i have all mine)although that is one way, but usually comes from waiters, busboys, clerks in stores, etc.

Guest miguelmiche1

credit card fraud massively growing trend. case in point right now as well. new bank card to be delivered locally. make sure you bring alternate cards. not bad idea to check charges on-line every week or so.

I've read about this scam; it's called "cloning" because they make a "copy" of your card using the number and other data gleaned from your real card. You're the first actual victim I've heard of. Fortunately you're not liable for the bad charges, but it's a creepy feeling, anyway, when something like this happens. Not to mention the inconvenience while waiting for a new card and having to sort out the phony charges from the legitimate ones. But, as the bank said, it can happen anywhere, and there's really no way to protect yourself. It's just a grin and bear it situation.

Guest Tomcal_

It doesn't make any difference if they tear up the carbon sheets, as they take the card number off the copy they retain, either the sales clerk or the waiter, the bookkeeper, etc. According to the Credit Card company there is really no way you can guard against it if they want to make a fake card with your number on it. Too many people see the number at the establishment after you leave.

Cash/ATMs trump credit cards again!

This reconfirms my preference for

relying on cash/ATMs and minimizing

my use of credit cards overseas!

Some of you guys keep constantly

telling newbies to use their credit

cards all over Brazil -- in the saunas,

in restaurants, everywhere!

But the thread below ("Exchange rates

in BZ") shows that ATMs give a much

better exchange rate than credit cards!

That reason alone tips the scale against

credit cards -- whether or not you mind

risking a total credit card rip-off while

travelling overseas!

RE: Cash/ATMs trump credit cards again!

Maybe it depends on your credit card issuer (you'll have to check directly with their customer service department) but the exchange rates have always been favorable whenever I've used my cards. I've heard that some U.S. cards now charge an extra transaction fee or commission when used internationally, but so far I haven't run into this with purchases on my cards (CapitalOne Visa and Sears MasterCard). Perhaps these fees only apply to cash advances against the credit cards?

Has anyone gotten bad exchange rates or extra fees for purchases on American cards used abroad? Or on cash advances?

As far as exchange rates go in Brazil, lately you receive pretty much the same through an ATM or by going to a "parallel" (that's a nice euphemism for black-market) dealer. However, that hasn't always been the case in the past, and could change again in the future. Exchange rates are published on the front page of most newspapers. Just compare the official/commercial rate to the parallel rate. If the parallel rate is significantly better, and you've brought cash dollars, go to an exchange. There are a number of them on Av. Copacabana near the Copacabana Palace hotel. Usually they're in travel agencies. Just ask for "cambio?" There also are some exchange places at the airport. DON'T change with your hotel or one of their employees. You won't get a good rate.

Nobody disputed in the series below (entitled

"Exchange rates in BZ") that ATMs in Brazil

give better exchange rates than do credit cards!

If the reverse is true, that would sure be good

to know! And, in that series, Tri said he'd

gotten "very favorable rates using ATMs."

SO, unless I discover that credit cards get

a significantly better rate than ATMs, for

safety reasons, I'll continue minimize my

credit card use overseas, including Brazil.

Newbies should be skeptical of the advice often

posted here to use credit cards all over Brazil

-- in the saunas, in restaurants, everywhere!

I just received my credit card bill from last months trip to Rio. I charged on the card sparingly, primarily at the saunas. I also got several cash advances from the Citibank kiosk at Blockbusters.

The exchange rates on the charges were good, and the rates on the withdrawals at the cash machine were great. There were no additional charges tacked onto the charges, but each withdrawal from the ATM came with a $15 fee. As a result, the $R100 I withdrew as an "experiment", to see how the machine worked, actually cost me almost as much as the currency I received. The subsequent withdrawals for much more cost the same $15. I like the convenience of the ATMs, but at $15 a pop it makes sense to withdraw a significant amount of currency when using them.

Recently I used my cc's at the saunas-- no problem, at Citibank's in Blockbuster's, and at the hotel where I stayed. ...no problem.

When I used my AMEX at one of the popular jeweler's concession stand at Sugar Loaf, it took a while to clear, but the gorgeous salesperson took his time and explained in English the reason for this (fraud, etc.). I did NOT care, for it gave me an opportunity to use my eyes to devour this man. I had only wished to have used my mouth to devour other parts of him in another setting.

He was a dream.

So in response to the initial question-- as a newbie, I DID NOT HAVE any problem and plan to use cc's and ATM's when I go again. The present plan is CARNAVAL (Carnival) then back again in their fall to do Salvador, I. Falls, Peratay, and Sao Paulo.

I think I'll arrive in SP and leave via Rio.

Yes, accept the advice that is given here in hopes that all goes well. If there is a problem, "deal with it" to the best of your abilities.

I am not a "newbie" and have used a variety of credit cards including Amex, Visa and Mastercard in all kinds of establishments including saunaa and in several cities. I have never had the hint of a problem except that a few places don't accept Amex and one that does - Lagoa -surprised me a couple of trips ago by billing as LAGOA for the first time. (It, and the other saunas, usually have anonymous billing names.) Additionally, the exchange rates have always been excellent, at or near most favorable.

The only difficulties I have had have been with ATMs. Some can be fickle about whether they are processing internationally or on a particular system in a given period, and a couple of times the Citibank machine at Blockbusters (the only Citibank ATM in Copacabana) has run out of cash on weekends.

I've never experienced or heard of the kind of a ripoff you experience with a $15 "fee". I'd be outraged.

<...with that info...

I would change to a bank card that did not assess one's card with a $15 dollar fee. If you plan to change, check it out first. And if you do go through with it, perhaps you could oiblige us with the info in terms of giving us readers and respondents the names of banks that don't gauge their customers. Thanks! AX

No Money on my credit card !

This morning I tried to get cash from the Blockbuster ATM but the machine refused to give me money because "I was not allowed to get this amount (200 reais?)". This maybe accurred to me, too. Maybe robbed by a clonation? How the Bank would repair my robbed expenses?

Chris

As I was using a credit card (a GM Mastercard), the charges went through as a "cash advance". Under GM's terms, all cash advances carry a minimum finance charge of $15. A lesson learned. On my trip starting Monday, I will see if my debit card works in Citibank's machines. It is a Visa, not connected to the cirrus network, so I dont know if it will work or not, but with the debit card the fees should be no more than $1.50 per use.

The machine does work on the Visa network and the only fee you will have is if your issuing bank charges for an other-bank withdrawal - mine doesn't.

Definitely avoid getting credit card cash advances, and particularly small ones, because most U.S. credit card issuers are charging ridiculous fees for them. Try to use your debit card as much as you can. If you can't find an ATM that works, remember that you can make a withdrawal inside the bank exactly the same way you'd get a credit card cash advance as long as the debit card has a Visa or MasterCard logo and you go to a bank that works with that card brand. Of course, this may take some pidgin Portuguese, but it can be done.

My debit card worked at Blockbuster's Citibank ATMs when I was in Rio. Make sure that you get your money out of the machine quickly. While I stood and pondered (about what I cannot remember) in front of the machine after my money appeared--the machine sucked the money back into the machine. I was disappointed and went about procuring more funds. It was a small loss on my part.

>This morning I tried to get cash from the Blockbuster ATM but

the machine refused to give me money because "I was not

allowed to get this amount (200 reais?)". This maybe

accurred to me, too. Maybe robbed by a clonation? How the

Bank would repair my robbed expenses?

Chris, if you haven't done this already, try your card at another bank's machine (like HSBC). If you're still having problems, go into the bank and try to make a withdrawal using your card ("Preciso tirar dinheiro com o meu cartão"). If your card is still blocked, or it appears that someone else is making charges on it, ask for the local telephone number for Visa or MasterCard so you can report it and get a replacement. In Rio and São Paulo, both cards have centrally-located customer service centers where you can take care of these kinds of problems. They also should be listed in the phone directories, usually with a toll-free number to call within Brazil.

By the way, how's your holiday going, beside the ATM problem? We expect full reports of your adventures in BA and Rio from the Italian perspective! Have you found it easy to communicate with people speaking Italian? Are you having fun?

Archived