Dengue Epidemic Sweeps Through Rio

Barry
This topic is 8078 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Scroll down on this board to "Brazil Health Alert." The problem is discussed there.

I wouldn't stay away from Brazil because of this (of course, I'm fearless about this kind of stuff). Take good insect repellent and use it two or three times a day. Don't forget to apply it on your ears and the back of your neck! Of course, wear long trousers and sleeves when you aren't on the beach. Especially around dawn and dusk, when mosquitoes get more active.

I haven't heard of any tourists getting this so far (and the Rio papers would have said something by now if they had). Assuming you're staying in a hotel, keep the windows closed and the air conditioning on, especially at night. All of this should keep you pretty safe.

If you do become the first tourist to catch it, get medical help. Call the U.S. consulate in Rio for the name of English speaking doctors, or ask your hotel. DON'T self-treat with aspirin/ibuprofen/etc. because there's a risk of hemorrage. Instead, take Tylenol/acetominaphen to try to bring the fever down. Also it's important to stay hydrated. But don't be brave and avoid seeing a doctor, because dengue can become serious, and I don't know if the risk of that is increased if you're already immune-compromised.

However, paranoia is worse than dengue, in my opinion. Not to mention hypochondria. So avoid panic and enjoy. Or, if you don't think you can do that, just wait until May or June, when the rainy season in Rio should be over and the mosquito season with it.

I think dengue is a real danger to people with compromised immune systems. It sent a friend of mine on that terminal spiral of illnesses that quickly killed him. With 100000 cass, I would not recommend Rio for anyone with HIV right now. The problem should alleviate as the weather changes though.

When I stayed 10 days in Rio last month, they had 10000 cases, but I never saw a mosquito until I got to the airport for the return flight. Apparently, even the mosquito wanted to leave the country!

I also didn't see any mosquitoes in Rio while I was there last month, although SOMETHING took a big bite out of me one afternoon when I went sightseeing with some friends in the Tijuca Forest. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a mosquito bite because it didn't swell up the same way and never itched. When I get mosquito bites, they itch!

Although I don't know about the science of dengue and HIV, I'd sure take extra care if I were immune-compromised. Even if there's nothing the matter with your immune system, a bout of dengue will certainly take the ginger out of you (in the immortal words of Anna Russell). I'm sure the debilitating effects of dengue would be worse if you have immune problems. So do take care. If you're concerned and would rather wait this out, the rainy season should be over by May and that mostly takes care of the mosquito problem.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest touchla

Was in Salvador, Bahia and RIO from 3-3 to 3-12/02 and never got bit once. Mosquitos usually head right for me but didn't have a problem. Took Cutter's Back Woods with me but only used it a couple of times. Did talk to some locals who did come down with it so I guess I was just lucky.

Archived