Visas for Brazil

Guest Verde
This topic is 8003 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi, you didn't mention where you're located. There are around 6-7 Brazilian consulates in the USA and each has jurisdiction covering states in its area. A useful web site is http://www.brol.com (the Brazil online agency). Go to "Visa", it gives info on where you can apply, depending on your residence, and the location of the consulate concerned, including e-mail addresses.

Guest Tomcal_

Hi,the easiest way if you don't live near one is to download the application from the website for the Brazilian consulate in Houston, then fill it out and send back to them will take about 3 weeks,

The form probably works at any consulate, but be SURE to send your application to the consulate that serves the area you live in. Otherwise, you'll just waste time. (Some of the other consulates also have websites.) Follow the instructions, but for Americans basically you'll need the application form, 2 passport photos, a money order for US$45 made out to the Consulate General of Brazil, a copy of your travel agency or airline itinerary, and your passport, of course. For Americans the visas are valid for five years and are good for multiple entries. The rules are probably different for Canadians and others who need visas. Brazil is big into reciprocity, so they make us go through this because our countries make Brazilians get visas. (And getting a U.S. visa can be a very unpleasant experience!)

If you're in a rush, check with the consulate for their procedures for expedited service, or have a travel agency help you through a visa service.

EU citizens (except maybe for France) and Israelis, among others, don't need visas to visit Brazil, last I knew; all you need is your passport. But always check with the local embassy or consulate to be sure you don't have an unpleasant surprise at check-in and find out you need a visa, after all!

De Nada. Feliz Natal e Prospero Ano Novo a todos.

Que o amor aconteca todos os dias em sua vida.

Tchau.

(To Tri: feel free to correct my Portuguese)

Igualmente para você, Verde, e para todos os outros participantes na M4M. Que o Ano Novo seja muito melhor para o mundo inteiro!

HardandThick: Be sure to call the consulate and find out if they will issue you a visa, based on where you live. I checked the link for the consulate in San Francisco, where I live, and it looks like they will process visas for all in-person applicants, regardless of residence, but will only process mailed applications for residents of their consular area. Check with the consulate you plan to visit to see if their policy is the same. I notice that in San Francisco the time for getting the visas has increased to 48 hours. In the past it was possible to get the visa the same day if you dropped off your application and passport when the consulate opened and returned later in the day. However, there may be more travelers now, and the consulates always tend to be understaffed, so that may explain the increased time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest pshaw

If you are lazy like me, you may want to check in the yellow pages for outfits that expedite passports and visas for you (look under "Passports"). The place I used charged $35 in addition to the $55 Brazilian visa fee - other places charged more. I gave them my documents (nobody asked for any proof of means or income) on a Friday and my passport with visa was ready the next Wednesday. I could have gone to the Brazilian Embassy here in Washington, but the outfit I used was much more conveniently located for me and I was able to walk over at lunchtime and drop off/pick up my passport.

Hi,

I'm booked to travel to Rio in October and I downloaded the application for a visa from the Brazilian Consulate website in Boston and have a question which I emailed to the Consulate but have not gotten an answer to yet. On the site, it mentions you need to send the application along with your passport, a photograph, an itinerary sheet, a $45.00 money order, and (this is the part I don't understand) "evidence of means of subsistence in Brazil". what the heck does that mean? a copy of your bank account? I would appreciate anybody clarifying that for me. BTW, I got the great rate of $73.00 per night at the Oceano Copacabana Hotel, located 1/2 block from Copacabana Beach and a terrific rate of $610 r/t on Delta Airlines. If anybody else plans to visit during that time, let me know and maybe we can meet up and compare notes. I'm counting the days! Thanks. Robbguy :9

As for the "means of subsistence," that probably applies only to people applying for longer-term residence visas. However, Brazil wants to be sure you have the means to leave the country so it won't be stuck with you if go broke at the baths! ;-) Normally, you're asked to provide a copy of your round-trip or onward ticket (with a final destination outside Brazil) or a copy of the travel agency's or airline's printed-out itinerary and receipt. Attach that to your visa application along with the photos and the money order (which can be either postal or from your bank, made out to "Consulate General of Brazil"). That should cover you.

Archived