Clients Internet Privacy and Information on Web Site

Guest jordan steele
This topic is 8231 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest jordan steele

Hi Guys

I am rebuilding my website and was thinking of placing a button that would tell my potential clients how to remove the cookies,temp files, and internet history created in their browsers and on there computers.

I find that many inquries I receive are from people surfing the net on there companies networks and laptops..or they are working on there home computers and are unaware that these files exsist. Some have children that know more about there machines than they do.

I am looking for feedback on whether you feel that this would be helpful.

Remember that the penalty in most work places is termination of employment. The affect at home if the kids found a temp page from the site could be worse.

I know it is not my responsibility but I do think of my clients first and want to protect them as much as I can (those that need protecting that is)

Thanks for your time in responding I remain Jordan

I think that is a very good idea for all the reasons you cited. Also, the more people know about their computers the better choices they can make...and cover their tracks.

>I've seen software advertised to "clean" your hard drive at

>a cost of $150. Would love to see your alternative to that

>price tag. :-)

It's pretty simple, actually.

On a windows machine, clear your browser's cache & history. Delete the files in whatever folder or file your browser stores cookies in.

You can actually gain back quite a bit of disk space clearing out the cache. The downside to doing this is performance. You get better performance when browsing if your browser can use cached files rather than downloading new.

Another down side to deleting cookies is that many sites (this one included, if you have that option turned on) use cookies to "remember" your login. Others use cookies to remember your display preferences.

As far as a work computer, if you're in an environment where action might be likely if you're discovered you're sunk anyway. They've probably got logs of all IP traffic and won't even need to look at files on your computer. :(

Brilliant idea...... I have many clients that are not computer very computer literate or use their computers at work.

I often will walk a client through the steps in order to accomplish clearing the history and cache.

Let us know if you are going to create this page, I might have to borrow it (plagiarism is the HIGHEST form of flattery)

}>

Dave

The Agency Chicago

http://TheAgencyChicago.com

Cleaning up is harder than you may think:

1. The newest versions of the browsers make some steps easier. For example, in Netscape 4.x there was no easy way to clear the drop down list on the URL window (the "clear history" did not clear this list).

2. I think i.e. stores some references in the registry, that may not be get cleared when you clear history and delete temp files???

3. Watch out for the "Documents" list on the Windows "Start" memu. Recently viewed mpgs, jpgs, etc may be listed there. This can be cleared via "Start - Settings - Task Bar & Start Menu". Even if the files have been deleted, the filenames can be "interesting".

4. In a corporate environment, having no temp files or history is suspicious in itself.

Guest exFratBoy

>Cleaning up is harder than you may think:

>

>1. The newest versions of the browsers make some steps

>easier. For example, in Netscape 4.x there was no easy way

>to clear the drop down list on the URL window (the "clear

>history" did not clear this list).

I'm not sure about PC, but on a Mac, you can solve this by going under "Preferences" choosing "Navigator" and hitting "Expire Immediately"-- it erases all history and all links, so that starting to type http://www.mazda.com on the URL window doesn't bring up this site.

Archived