Amsterdam Hotels

seeker630
This topic is 8771 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just FYI, Michael - I stayed at the Renaissance last week and paid 525 guilders/night for a *very* small room up under the eaves and smelling unused. The hotel actually is in 2 buildings - my room number was 945 but I had to take the elevator to the second floor, trek over to the otehr building via a 'bridge' and then take a second elevator to the 4th floor. But the hotel was fully booked & I couldn't get anything better. 2 bright spots - It was just across the street from Blue Boy club and CLib 21, and there's a cafe on the corner with great coffee & a glassed-in room that's great for people-watching.

Thanks for the update - my next trip to Amsterdam is coming up in just a few weeks at the end of April.

Fortunately I wasn't expecting very much from the Renaissance - it's main advantage is definitely the location and the fact that they actually had rooms available ;-)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tntdc

RE: ARE THERE MEN IN AMSTERDAM?

lived in amsterdam while in college and been back many times. it's hard to live up to a reputation like it has and unfortunately it doesn't. actually a very small town and in any of the bars or houses you won't see any dutch or germans and god is amsterdam expensive.(because of the great p-r,straight and gay)

the "amsterdam" experience is actually played out much better in berlin, koln, or hamburg, ie hundreds of fantastic blonds in boy bars and houses for very low prices. koln (cologne) is only a few hours drive from a'dam and well worth the side trip.

if you insist ongoing there tho i would add the marriott to the list of hotels. convenient, large (!) rooms, beautiful view, very friendly and modern, and easy to book in u.s. you will end up usually taking cabs, which are expensive.

an alternative is to stay at a place like the Bulldog- a (straight?) pot bar with rooms in the center of everything. cheap and FRIENDLY. will show you're "in"

One of the nice things about Amsterdam is that everyone speaks English. I thought about Germany but wasn;t sure how big a problem the language barrier would be. Is English widely spoken/understood there?

Guest jeejer

how about starting a new thread and give us the scoop on Berlin, Koln and Hamburg

Archived