Livable Towns: Asheville NC, Astoria OR, Port Townsend WA

Guest bollo
This topic is 8470 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

After 10 years in Atlanta, I am ready to get away. I am looking for a livable small town, where there are four seasons, a few good restaurants, a decent bookstore, and a much slower pace of life.

I've heard good things about Asheville, North Carolina and have enjoyed my visits there. I've only read about Astoria, Oregon and Port Townsend, Washington, both of which seem idyllic.

Of course, the whole job issue comes up. But that will take care of itself.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Guest Johnny Galliher

I highly recommend Darien, Connecticut. It's the ideal New England suburban, small town. With relative proximity to Boston and New York, Darien is one of the best places to live.

I live close to Asheville and it IS a nice town. It is becoming a gay mecca of sorts with Spirit Journey's being located there and other gay venues. Richmond Hill Inn was named one of the top gay getaways for couples by Out and About in '99. The Biltmore House is there ( America's largest home ) and the Grove Park Inn is a great place to dine especially on holidays. Cool , clean , crisp and beautiful is Asheville. :-)

Astoria is charming and has four seasons, but three of them are pretty damp (if lack of sunshine makes you depressed, it's probably not the right place). There is an active gay network in the string of little towns on the northern Oregon coast (Astoria, Gearhart, Seaside, Cannon Beach, Manzanita, etc.), many of which are refuges for artists. It's about two hours by road to Portland when you need a dose of city culture.

Guest allansmith63

Astoria - incredible beaches, beautiful area, nice town

Port Townsend - another great town, just across the water from Seattle, which I'm told has a great, active gay district.

Good luck in choosing - there's incredibly many beautiful west coast towns.

Another great town (in northern California) is Montecito (incredible!)

Allan, who loves the loves the wet - oops, sorry - west coast!!

Guest dandday

Astoria is a wonderful place, but do not overlook Seaside, Lincoln City and Brookings along the Oregon Coast. Further inland you will find Ashland along I-5. Very gay and lots of fun.

Port Townsend is lovely and there is a large gay community as most of its residents are into art. You might want to consider Whibey Island (spelling may be wrong!) Both are just a short ferry ride to Seattle. You may want to consider the Long Beach area of Washington across the Columbia River from Astoria. Cheep ocean front property and very beautiful.

In california there is always the Russian River area around the VERY gay town of Gurnville (again , spelling may be off). The whole town seems to be gay. Its a 20 minute drive to Santa Rose where jobs are plentiful and an hour and a half from San Francisco. The ocean beach is less than an hour away.

You will not get the four seasons or the beach, but for Gay, gay friendly, employment, and cost of living, all in a small town one can't beat Palm Springs.

Archived